Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Wolfgang Werner <ww...@picturesafe.de> on 2000/04/19 10:23:35 UTC

JUnit Task

Hi,

stupid question - what is the long awaited junit task doing so special?
I tried calling junit from the build in java task (with fork), that works ok.

Commenst?

Wolfgang Werner

RE: JUnit Task

Posted by Wolfgang Werner <ww...@picturesafe.de>.

>  WW> what is the long awaited junit task doing so special?
>
> Didn't notice it was long awaited, fine.

For me, this is the most important task, becaus it will give me the
needed control in team development (no checkin without test),
that enables our developers to have a more group oriented
view on the sources - it's all teamwork, everyone can change my code
(if it runs all tests without failure).

> Well one thing is it comes with a TestRunner of its own that allows it
> to be run without forking - thus saving some time. You cannot do this
> with junit.textui.TestRunner as it calls System.exit - same reason as
> for javadoc.

See. I need it.

> It can optionally generate a detailed test report in XML to be picked
> up by some postprocessor - outside of ant - and is customizable in
> its behavior when it comes to test failures (just report the failure,
> stop testing, stop the build process).

Getting better and better!

> What makes the patch special is that Thomas refactored larger parts of
> Exec and Javac and the code relies on these changes.

... which have all +1 from the relevant people, or did I missed something?

Wolfgang

Re: JUnit Task

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.
Hi Wolfgang,

 WW> what is the long awaited junit task doing so special?

Didn't notice it was long awaited, fine.

Well one thing is it comes with a TestRunner of its own that allows it
to be run without forking - thus saving some time. You cannot do this
with junit.textui.TestRunner as it calls System.exit - same reason as
for javadoc.

It can optionally generate a detailed test report in XML to be picked
up by some postprocessor - outside of ant - and is customizable in
its behavior when it comes to test failures (just report the failure,
stop testing, stop the build process).

What makes the patch special is that Thomas refactored larger parts of
Exec and Javac and the code relies on these changes.

Stefan