Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca> on 2012/07/18 18:39:34 UTC

Re: system VM out of CloudStack

By "Will it be good idea to move that VMs out of CloudStack" do you mean onto separate infrastructure? As in a non-managed hypervisor, or bare-metal?

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BBITS)" <ke...@bbits.ca>.
For me, it sounds like putting them on a separate service layer would be helpful, especially in highly custom environments.

I do like the thought of load-balanced system VMs.

Kelcey Jamison-Damage
Infrastructure Systems Architect

Backbone IT Service | Backbone Datavault | Backbone Technology
55 East 7th Ave Vancouver - BC Canada V5T 1M4
kelcey@bbits.ca | 604-331-1152 ext. 114

Posted by Sheng Liang <Sh...@citrix.com>.
> That could be ultimate goal, and it's totally reflects "unix way" - don't use one huge universal tool, rather - set of small,
> but dedicated to particular task tools. As for now i see that CS is big monolithic complex, with tons internal, non-exposed dependencies.

I agree. Making the complex logic currently residing in system VM loosely coupled from CloudStack will greatly enhance modularity.

If we make that happen, CloudStack will consists of a core orchestration module and various loosely-coupled services running on top. Examples of these services are:

1. Console proxy
2. Template and ISO distribution (e.g., caching)
3. Snapshot backup (i.e., copying snapshots from primary storage to object store)
4. API proxy (e.g., EC2, S3, etc.)
5. Load balancers and firewalls

Once these services are nicely encapsulated, they can be deployed in different ways:

1. It makes sense to deploy certain services on dedicated physical servers. For example, Snapshot backup service needs direct access to storage network and massive network throughput. It runs the best on dedicated physical servers.
2. A lightweight developer setup can have all these services deployed on a single laptop or in a single application server. This simplifies debugging and troubleshooting.
3. CloudStack should continue to offer a system VM framework. Some or all of these services can be deployed into system VMs (just like today.) This approach has certain benefits as well because CloudStack can automatically manage the lifecycle of system VM, automatically monitor the system VM, and automatically scale the number of system VMs to respond to the load.

Sheng

Re: system VM out of CloudStack

Posted by Daniel Mezentsev <da...@soleks.com>.
Hi Edison,

missed your email. That could be ultimate goal, and it's totally
reflects "unix way" - don't use one huge universal tool, rather - set of
small, but dedicated to particular task tools. As for now i see that CS
is big monolithic complex, with tons internal, non-exposed dependencies.
If you can make system more transparent with potential option of choice
- your product will be pushed automatically to next level.

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.

Posted by da...@soleks.com.

Posted by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca>.