Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "O. Oke" <re...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2005/05/04 14:43:09 UTC

Hosting cost: Java/Struts apps -versus- PHP apps...help!

Please direct me on how to deal with the comparative
high cost of hosting Java applications.

DETAIL
======
My potential clients/customers already have PHP server
as part of their hosting package.  With Tomcat, it is
a different story; the hosting companies of most of
these potential clients, do not have have Tomcat or
any other server for Java application.  The few
companies that do host Java application, charge extra
for this.

1.  Despite the higher hosting cost of Java
applications, how can I convince a client to go for my
Struts application, if the client has a choice between
my Struts application and a PHP application that does
the same thing?

2.  How do those of you that work freelance deal with
this problem?

3.  Do you know of any hosting company that provides
hosting for the Java application only?

This reminds me of the battle between Betamax
technology and VHS technology.

Thank you.

O'Dele Oke.

Re: Hosting cost: Java/Struts apps -versus- PHP apps...help!

Posted by Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com>.
Sorry no URLs, but I have been seeing prices dipping into the $10 range,
which is even with PHP (the cheapest PHP I ever saw was $4 but typical
is $8.99 I think). And I have found that Tomcat/MySQL or
Tomcat/PostgreSQL is everywhere, plus you'll usually get an Apache Web
Server too. But be aware of what you are getting (you probably won't get
a private VM for $10, but that doesn't mean it won't work, and you want
shell access, not just an ftp account). Make sure you don't have to sign
up for anything long term until you've deployed and tested your app for
a while. Let the Web server serve all your static content. Watch out for
lag between the Servlet box and the database box.

What do I tell my customers? Java hosting is already nearly competitive
and is getting cheaper all the time.

Oh I do know of one cheap Java host -- lunarpages.

If this thread stays alive, more will be posted I'll bet.

Erik

Posted by Matt Raible <li...@raibledesigns.com>.

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <st...@anotheria.net>.
Well, If your Java _application_ has no addit-value against a php
script, then you maybe shouldn't develop it with java?

If it's so simple, that it can be done with php,
if performance isn't a requirement, if manageability, flexibility and
scaleability of the application isn't worth money, then choosing java
may have been the false solution :-)

regards
Leon

P.S. As for list of java-hosters - check the archives.