Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Stefan Jakobs <st...@localside.net> on 2014/12/02 11:58:19 UTC

pdfinfo plugin

Hello,

I still use the pdfinfo plugin from Dallas Engelken (and it still hits on some
messages). But does anyone know the status of the plugin? Is it maintained?
Does it make sense to use it with spamassassin 3.4.0 or is a similar
functionality already included there?

Best regards
Stefan

Re: pdfinfo plugin

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 12/02/2014 07:02 PM, John Hardin wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2014, Axb wrote:
>
>> On 12/02/2014 11:58 AM, Stefan Jakobs wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hello,
>>>
>>>  I still use the pdfinfo plugin from Dallas Engelken (and it still
>>> hits on
>>>  some
>>>  messages). But does anyone know the status of the plugin? Is it
>>>  maintained?
>>
>> I'm partially to blame this plugin exists - rule support, etc.
>>
>>>  Does it make sense to use it with spamassassin 3.4.0
>>
>> yes, definitely
>>
>>>  or is a similar functionality already included there?
>>
>> nope...
>>
>> As PDF  spams haven't been a huge issue lately I've been lazy with
>> adding rules
>>
>> Not sure if rule creation was well documented - I'll try to put
>> something together - it's been ages...
>
> Where does it live these days?

John,

I've commited the plugin and 20_pdfinfo.cf with historical rules
disabled - mainly for documentation purposes.

I'll probably add a few fuzzy rules to sandbox when I discover some new
undetected PDF spams.

Amazing how old this stuff is and can still be used.

Axb

Re: pdfinfo plugin

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 12/02/2014 07:02 PM, John Hardin wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2014, Axb wrote:
>
>> On 12/02/2014 11:58 AM, Stefan Jakobs wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hello,
>>>
>>>  I still use the pdfinfo plugin from Dallas Engelken (and it still
>>> hits on
>>>  some
>>>  messages). But does anyone know the status of the plugin? Is it
>>>  maintained?
>>
>> I'm partially to blame this plugin exists - rule support, etc.
>>
>>>  Does it make sense to use it with spamassassin 3.4.0
>>
>> yes, definitely
>>
>>>  or is a similar functionality already included there?
>>
>> nope...
>>
>> As PDF  spams haven't been a huge issue lately I've been lazy with
>> adding rules
>>
>> Not sure if rule creation was well documented - I'll try to put
>> something together - it's been ages...
>
> Where does it live these days?

It doesn't... Has been in exile since many years...

Have the last version in my SA repo and Dallas has given me permission
to commit to SA.
Will do the necessary license foo, cleanup the obsolete rules and commit...

Re: pdfinfo plugin

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 2 Dec 2014, Axb wrote:

> On 12/02/2014 11:58 AM, Stefan Jakobs wrote:
>>
>>  Hello,
>>
>>  I still use the pdfinfo plugin from Dallas Engelken (and it still hits on
>>  some
>>  messages). But does anyone know the status of the plugin? Is it
>>  maintained?
>
> I'm partially to blame this plugin exists - rule support, etc.
>
>>  Does it make sense to use it with spamassassin 3.4.0
>
> yes, definitely
>
>>  or is a similar functionality already included there?
>
> nope...
>
> As PDF  spams haven't been a huge issue lately I've been lazy with adding
> rules
>
> Not sure if rule creation was well documented - I'll try to put something
> together - it's been ages...

Where does it live these days?

   Men by their constitutions are naturally divided in to two parties:
   1. Those who fear and distrust the people and wish to draw all
   powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who
   identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them,
   cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not
   the most wise, depository of the public interests.
                                                   -- Thomas Jefferson
  13 days until Bill of Rights day

Re: pdfinfo plugin

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.