Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/07 03:31:23 UTC

Re: [QUESTION] Importing a project from GitHub

Some information based on perusal of the github repo in question.

The nano project did not obviously manage their IP cleanly.  The project
LICENSE file was added only two months ago (and it is clearly not identical
to the standard ASL, if only because of lower-casing).  None of the source
files appear to have license headers.

Many of the smaller contributors have made contributions larger than 100
lines of code.

I can't say what this means, but it does provide some background and
distinguishes the case from FlexUnit.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
Simple approach:

  Review every GitHub contributor's commits.
  Remove any contributor from the list whose PRs were minimal (where I
think code related to the final product has a different 'minimal' bar than
build/Test code).
  Get CLA or grant from every GitHub contributor.

#2 is the one that involves thinking work. I suggest that the project do
that on a wiki, then have Legal PMC audit it.

Hen

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Henri,

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.