Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Eric Everman <ev...@precedadesign.com> on 2005/11/16 16:42:54 UTC

Incorrect Java Source Line Numbers in Xalan Classes (Xalan 2.7.1)

Hi-

The Xalan 2.7.1 classes seem to report wildly incorrect java source
line numbers when running in debug mode via an IDE.  (Note: I'm not
talking about XSLT line numbers).

I've tried tracing the xalan.jar using the source provided from the
source distribution, and I've also trying building the xalan.jar from
the build.sh script and just using ant directly.  All class files
report incorrect tracing line numbers - Here is an example:

In my IDE, I see execution stopped at this breakpoint:
Class breakpoint occurred at line 143 of DefaultConnectionPool.java,
in method: void
org.apache.xalan.lib.sql.DefaultConnectionPool.setDriver
(java.lang.String)

Looking at the source code, line 143 is near the end of a method
named freeUnused(), approximately 40 lines down from the setDriver()
method.

What am I doing wrong??  I'm not an ant expert - is ant modifying the
source code before compile?

Platform:
Oracle's JDeveloper on Mac OS X 10.4.3, which is running on JDK 1.5.
All compiling and class compatibility is JDK 1.4.2, including ant and
build.sh builds.

Any help is appreciated - I'm pulling my hair out on this one.

Eric Everman

Re: Incorrect Java Source Line Numbers in Xalan Classes (Xalan 2.7.1)

Posted by Stanimir Stamenkov <st...@myrealbox.com>.
/Stanimir Stamenkov/:
> /Eric Everman/:
>
>> Platform:
>> Oracle's JDeveloper on Mac OS X 10.4.3, which is running on JDK 1.5.
>> All compiling and class compatibility is JDK 1.4.2, including ant and
>> build.sh builds.
>
> I guess Xalan 2.7.0 classes (as far as I see there's no 2.7.1 released
> yet) clash with the older Xalan classes included with the Sun JDK 1.4.2
> - you should put the Xalan 2.7.0 libraries into the endorsed directories:

Ops, just noticed you're actually running JDK 1.5 (got misled by the
"JDK 1.4.2" part). I don't see 'org.apache.xalan' classes in the JRE
of the Sun's Java 5, but I don't know if it the same for the JDK on
Mac OS X you're running.

--
Stanimir

Re: Incorrect Java Source Line Numbers in Xalan Classes (Xalan 2.7.1)

Posted by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com>.
As suggested by Stanimir,
this is probably an endorsed or  boot classpath sort of issue.

In Eclipse one can put a project or a jar on the "boot" classpath, which
has the same effect as the endorsed directory.  Of course I don't know that
Eric is using Eclipse as his IDE.

- Brian

Re: Incorrect Java Source Line Numbers in Xalan Classes (Xalan 2.7.1)

Posted by Stanimir Stamenkov <st...@myrealbox.com>.
/Eric Everman/:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/standards/

--
Stanimir

Re: Incorrect Java Source Line Numbers in Xalan Classes (Xalan 2.7.1)

Posted by Eric Everman <ev...@precedadesign.com>.
Thanks to all - Brian your tip was the trick:  Indeed, the xalan.jar
I thought was being used was different then the one *actually* being
used.  Of course the configuration of Oracle's OC4J server (with its
own classloader) is opaque enough that I'll be unravelling this for
awhile yet.

Sorry about the 2.7.1 deal - That would be the Xerces version, not
the Xalan version.

Thanks again,

Eric Everman