Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2012/10/11 22:21:44 UTC

Report submitted to the Apache Board

A couple of times a year, the Apache HBase PMC has to submit a report
to the Apache Board.  Until now, the report was just worked out on the
private@hbase mailing list and then submitted.  Let me start cc'ing
the dev list on what we've sent the board (after all its your
project).  If there are ever any 'sensitive' topics discussed, I'll
just redact from what I post here.   Here is what I just sent ahead of
the Apache Board meeting next week.

HBase is a distributed column-oriented database built on top of Hadoop
Common and Hadoop HDFS

ISSUES FOR THE BOARD’s ATTENTION

None.

RELEASES

0.94.1 on August 8th.
0.94.2 is on its fourth release candidate.
0.92.2 on October 1st.

COMMITTERS

We added:

Gregory Chanan (Cloudera) -- gchanan@apache.org
Enis Soztutar (Hortonworks) -- enis@apache.org
Elliott Clark (Was StumbleUpon when elected, now Cloudera) -- eclark@apache.org

COMMUNITY

Contributors met at Hortonworks for a pow wow on September 11th, 2012 [1].
Notes and pointers to talks posted here [2].

After discussion up on the dev list, we introduced the notion of an
'owner' role. "Owners are volunteers who are (usually, but not necessarily)
expert in a component domain and may have an agenda on how they think
their HBase component should evolve." Owners will try and review patches
that fall within their domain and if an agenda will publish it.  See
[3] for more.

23 committers [4] (Was 20 in last report)
800 subscribers to the dev list (Was 759 at last report)
1833 subscribers to the user list (Was 1734 at last report)

1. http://www.meetup.com/hbaseusergroup/events/80621872/
2. http://search-hadoop.com/m/OXGqy1dlFAE1
3. http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#OWNER
4. http://hbase.apache.org/team-list.html