Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2009/03/19 09:22:24 UTC

Summer of Code is upon us

Hi,

I've just added a Sling-based proposal for the Google Summer of Code
2009 at http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2009#sling-wikipedia

More project ideas and mentors are welcome!

-Bertrand

Re: Summer of Code is upon us

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.
Another comment : I'm agree, it is not something for the Summer of code, it
was a bad idea !

Re: Summer of Code is upon us

Posted by Valentin Jacquemin <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <
bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Valentin,
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Valentin Jacquemin
> <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I proposed a prototype for the JCR browser sometime ago on the mailing
> list
> > but just to know, will it be a project assigned to a GSoc student?...
>
> Yes, sorry I didn't reply to your proposal. Totally swamped at the
> moment, probably won't find time to really look at it before a week or
> so.

No problem it was just to be aware of the current situation.

> Anyway. such a project will only be assigned to a GSoC student if a
> committer proposes it and signs up as a mentor at [1]. For now it's
> just an idea floating around.
>
> >... In that
> > case I'll just move my effort on some other area of Sling... Even if at
> that
> > time I have to finish some other project that is consuming lots of my
> spare
> > time....
>
> Ok - a good JCR explorer is something that many of us are looking
> forward to, and it's not a trivial task, and Sling's OSGi plugins open
> some very interesting possibilities.
>
> So it's certainly possible for several people to collaborate on that
> anyway. But someone has to lead I guess, and at the moment it seems
> like none of the Sling contributors have enough free cycles for that.

Fine! As I am a newcomer in Sling/OSGi, i am here to collaborate and learn
from all of other participants.

Re: Summer of Code is upon us

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.
2009/3/19 Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>

> Hi Valentin,
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Valentin Jacquemin
> <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I proposed a prototype for the JCR browser sometime ago on the mailing
> list
> > but just to know, will it be a project assigned to a GSoc student?...
>
> Yes, sorry I didn't reply to your proposal. Totally swamped at the
> moment, probably won't find time to really look at it before a week or
> so.
>
> Anyway. such a project will only be assigned to a GSoC student if a
> committer proposes it and signs up as a mentor at [1]. For now it's
> just an idea floating around.
>
> >... In that
> > case I'll just move my effort on some other area of Sling... Even if at
> that
> > time I have to finish some other project that is consuming lots of my
> spare
> > time....
>
> Ok - a good JCR explorer is something that many of us are looking
> forward to, and it's not a trivial task, and Sling's OSGi plugins open
> some very interesting possibilities.
>

> So it's certainly possible for several people to collaborate on that
> anyway. But someone has to lead I guess, and at the moment it seems
> like none of the Sling contributors have enough free cycles for that.

I am interested to work on that even if it will take a long time to get a
nice result. We can expect that others will be interesting to contribute.
Futhermore, it is certainly possible to start with a very simple version and
add more and more features.

Can we based this work on the following proposal [1] ?

What about the UI framework to use ?  A JCR Explorer will require advanced
UI widgets and I'm wondering which framework will be the more appropriate,
Dojo ? Gwt ? Extjs ? .... ? :-(
I have a prototype with Extjs but It is certainly not compatible with the
ASF license.

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/SLING/sling-based-jcr-explorer.html

Re: Summer of Code is upon us

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Valentin,

Re: Summer of Code is upon us

Posted by Valentin Jacquemin <ja...@gmail.com>.
I proposed a prototype for the JCR browser sometime ago on the mailing list
but just to know, will it be a project assigned to a GSoc student? In that
case I'll just move my effort on some other area of Sling... Even if at that
time I have to finish some other project that is consuming lots of my spare
time.

Valentin Jacquemin

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <

Re: Summer of Code is upon us

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Summer of Code is upon us

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.
2009/3/19 Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>

> Hi,
>
> I've just added a Sling-based proposal for the Google Summer of Code
> 2009 at http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2009#sling-wikipedia
>

> More project ideas and mentors are welcome!

What about a JCR browser and some admin tools for Sling (user/group
management, ...) ?
What about a set of small "classic" web apps like forum, news management,
... ?