Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dirk Hoffmann <dh...@web.de> on 2004/10/08 07:53:11 UTC

Links to shared resources / Unique ID's for resources

Hi all,

is it possible to get a kind of unique ids for resources via some C-API ?

I'm planning to implement a kind of shared resources, i.e. resources
that may be accessed via a link. My implementation should be based on
normal repository nodes of file type. Links will be identified by
properties.

The reference to the resource could be it's pathname, but what if the
path to it changes. It is virtually impossible to keep track of
structural changes to ensure referential integrity.

So if there where unique IDs for resources I would be able to use these
as references, like inode numbers in unix filesystems.

This is not about checking in or out symbolic links, but a way to make
resources accessible through different pathnames at the same time, i.e.
if you modify a resource via  one pathname you will be able to see those
changes via one of the other pathnames.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Regards
Dirk