Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Shailesh S. Gokhale" <ss...@rediffmail.com> on 2001/09/30 15:46:37 UTC

>> Apache/Tomcat Collaboration

Hello all!

I have a few questions regarding Apache/Tomcat collaboration. I have tried posting this message to atleast 3 other forums including the tomcat-user mailing list but no one has answered my question. This may not be the right place to post it but I have a feeling that you guys may be able to enlighten me on the following. I will be very thankful if someone clears my doubts.

1. I understand that Tomcat can work with any (supported) web server in two modes - 'In Proc' and 'Out of Proc'. I have successfully configured Tomcat (Out of Proc) to work with Apache. The question is how can I make it work 'In Proc' with Apache?
2. In relation to the above, there seem to be two available adapters for the Apache/Tomcat collaboration in the Windows environment. One is ApacheModuleJServ.dll and another is mod_jk.dll. [The second one replaces a more complex adapter (mod_jserv.dll) available earlier and no longer used]. My question is what is the difference between the two - that is ApacheModuleJServ.dll and mod_jk.dll?

Many Thanks
Shailesh Gokhale
ssg0@rediffmail.com

Re: >> Apache/Tomcat Collaboration

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.
On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 01:46:37PM -0000, Shailesh S. Gokhale wrote:
> 1. I understand that Tomcat can work with any (supported) web
> server in two modes - 'In Proc' and 'Out of Proc'. I have
> successfully configured Tomcat (Out of Proc) to work with Apache.
> The question is how can I make it work 'In Proc' with Apache?

I'm not aware how Apache will load the JVM, so I don't see how you
will get it to be "in proc."  AFAIK, all of the modules for all
webservers require an externally running copy of Tomcat.  I could
be wrong though.  I think some of them are smart enough to invoke
Tomcat if it isn't running, but that doesn't mean they are running
in the same process space.

> 2. In relation to the above, there seem to be two available
> adapters for the Apache/Tomcat collaboration in the Windows
> environment. One is ApacheModuleJServ.dll and another is
> mod_jk.dll. [The second one replaces a more complex adapter
> (mod_jserv.dll) available earlier and no longer used]. My
> question is what is the difference between the two - that is
> ApacheModuleJServ.dll and mod_jk.dll?

I think ApacheModuleJServ.dll is just a renamed version of
mod_jserv.dll.  You should always be using mod_jk - mod_jserv
isn't supported anymore.  -- justin