Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David O'Brien <do...@naccrra.org> on 2004/02/10 16:21:05 UTC

Re: Apache 2, Tomcat 4.1, RH 9 - servlet/jsp requests return only on second hit

At 09:18 AM 2/10/2004, Brent Parker wrote:
>My Config: Redhat 9, Apache 2.0.47, mod_jk 1.2.6, Tomcat 4.1.29
>
>It takes a second request (to port 80) to get a jsp or servlet output to
>display in the browser: I type in the url (jsp or servlet) and hit Enter,
>the browser (Mozilla and IE) spins indefinitely. I then highlight the
>address line and hit Enter a second time, and the page will immediately
>load. Restated: All servlets/jsp requests do load - but only on the second
>hit (request). However, any static html page (served through apache) loads
>immediately on the first hit.

I had this same problem and never could find a fix...
I reverted back to 1.2.5 of the connectors and all was fine.
-Dave

>The println's I put in the jsp/servlet reveal that they are getting hit on
>the first request, and they print out repeatedly (thus the browser spin)
>until I make the second request.
>
>To isolate tomcat: If I configure the server.xml, and hit the jsp/servlet
>through port 8080, it serves immediately. Maybe this isn't a tomcat problem,
>but since it does involve tomcat, I figured this forum would have the best
>shot at an answer.
>
>The apache (access_log, error_log), mod_jk, and catalina logs do not show
>any errors. The catalina_log.*.txt shows sporadic "IOException Broken pipe"
>errors.
>
>Any suggestions / advice would be appreciated. I suspect I have configured
>something wrong - I would be glad to forward/post my config files if it
>would help. I have been writing java apps for a couple of years - some
>deployed to tomcat standalone, but this is my first adventure into tomcat
>connected to apache.
>
>Thanks!!
>Brent

David G. O'Brien
Web Services Coordinator / Systems Administrator

NACCRRA
The Nation's Network of Child Care Resource & Referral
1319 F Street NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004
(202) 393-5501 ext. 113
(202) 393-1109 fax