Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Nkechi Achara <nk...@googlemail.com> on 2016/01/26 22:10:03 UTC

Issues with Long subtraction in an RDD when utilising tailrecursion

down votefavorite
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35009560/anyone-had-issues-with-subtraction-of-a-long-within-an-rdd?noredirect=1#>

I am having an issue with the subtraction of a long within an RDD to filter
out items in the RDD that are within a certain time range.

So my code filters an RDD of case class auctions, with an object of
successfulAuctions(Long, Int, String):

auctions.filter(it => relevantAuctions(it, successfulAuctions))

The successfulAuctions object is made up of a timestamp: Long, an itemID:
Int, and a direction: String (BUY/SELL).

The relevantAuctions function basically uses tail recursion to find the
auctions in a time range for the exact item and direction.

@tailrec
  def relevantAuctions(auction: Auction, successfulAuctions:
List[(Long,     String, String)]): Boolean = successfulAuctions match
{
    case sample :: xs => if (isRelevantAuction(auction, sample) )
true else relevantAuctions(auction, xs)
    case Nil => false
  }

This then feeds into another method in the if statement that checks the
timestamp in the sample is within a 10ms range, and the item ID is the
same, as is the direction.

def isRelevantAuction(auction: Auction, successfulAuction: (Long,
String, String)): Boolean = {(successfulAuction.timestampNanos -
auction.timestampNanos) >= 0 &&
  (successfulAuction.timestampNanos - auction.timestampNanos) < 10000000L &&
  auction.itemID == successfulAuction.itemID &&
  auction.direction== successfulAuction.direction
 }

I am having issues where the range option is not entirely working. The
timestamps I am receiving back are not within the required range. Although
the Item ID and direction seems to be working successfully.

The results I am getting are as follows, when I have a timestamp of
1431651108749267459 for the successful auction, I am receiving other
auctions of a time GREATER than this, where it should be less.

The auctions I am receiving have the timestamps of:

143165110874932660314316511087493307321431651108749537901

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon?

Thanks!

Fwd: Issues with Long subtraction in an RDD when utilising tailrecursion

Posted by Nkechi Achara <nk...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Yep, strangely I get values where the successful auction has a smaller time
than the other relevant auctions.
I have also attempted to reverse the statement, and I receive auctions that
are still greater than the successful auction. But also they are of a
greater value.

Re: Issues with Long subtraction in an RDD when utilising tailrecursion

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
bq.  (successfulAuction.timestampNanos - auction.timestampNanos) < 10000000L
&&