Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> on 2010/08/17 19:35:05 UTC

Shiro artifact distribution

Per the Incubator list, we need to ensure our source distribution
comes from Apache's mirrored infrastructure.  Kalle, I noticed that
you changed the links in the meantime to point to the m2 repo
(thanks), but we're mandated to distribute from the ASF
infrastructure.  The links to the .jars point to m2 as a convenience,
but since they're not a source distro, the ASF doesn't care about them
as much - we just can't do that with our source distro.

I was just going to place them in a directory under the 'static'
directory of our website on people.apache.org.  At least this is what
is recommended by [1].  Any objections?

Les

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#distribution

Re: Shiro artifact distribution

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Awesome, thanks for the pointer Craig.  Also, next time we go through
a release process, I think we should write a step-by-step flow of the
process so anyone can repeat it.

Kalle did a beautiful job getting us through our first release, but I
don't think I could brainlessly repeat it (yet).  I'm a big fan of
making guides like this to essentially eliminate human error (or
accidental omission) so that anyone can do the process, even if
they're completely new to it.

Les

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Les,

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Ok, the links have been updated to point to the apache.org/dist
location.  They'll show up in a couple of hours after
people.apache.org syncs to the web server farm.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
So,

The official and primary distribution of Shiro are the source bundles
found at dist/shiro/...

Anything else is a secondary distribution, including "binary" releases
also found at dist/shiro and m2 poms and jars.

Artifacts that are published at dist/shiro should be referenced via
the "download from mirror" technique. Artifacts that are published in
the m2 rsync repository can be downloaded simply by referencing them
in a maven pom. There's no need to have another way to download the
poms and jars.

Craig

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> wrote:
>> From my reading of the release documentation either is fine. As a TLP
>> I don't think we have a strict requirement to publish to /dist, it's
>> just an option. However, Clutch checks for the existence of release
>> artifacts at /dist so we better keep the duplicates there. Going
>> forward, I don't think we need to worry about cgi scripts for using
>> mirros either, central is already load-balanced (and proxied and
>> cached).
> We unfortunately can't use m2 central as our primary distribution
> source since that is not considered ASF infrastructure.  At least
> according to the publishing page:
> "The Apache infrastructure must be the primary source for all
> artifacts officially released by the ASF."

Right, ok I see now why you had the links originally pointing at the
repository.apache.org. Pointing to /dist instead would solve that
problem.

> I think it's ok at the moment to have the links for the binary .jars
> point to m2 central because they're not really official ASF releases -
> we do it as a convenience.  Although it would be a little nicer to
> have all of our artifacts hosted by the ASF: someone has to pay the
> download bandwidth costs, and it'd be better if the ASF (or one of
> it's agreed mirror partners) did that instead of us passing the bill
> transparently to Sonatype.  Just a thought...

We can figure out how to best use and integrate publishing to the
/dist as a TLP later, but because we are a library project (as opposed
to an application such as Tomcat), I'm pretty certain that most people
will get the libs from Central even if we have them available
somewhere else. Sonatype has a vested interest in seeing Maven succeed
and if people get the jars directly from Central they are much leaner
(and will be cached) than the single source distro zip, so I doubt
Sonatype has that much of a problem with it.

Kalle

PS. Making the release with Maven was a pleasure. I can see how it
might have been tripping up and annoying lots of non-Maven-built
Apache projects before us and obviously it helped that I've done the
same several times over with different Maven projects but overall,
it's about as streamlined as it currently can be.

Re: Shiro artifact distribution

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> wrote:
> Yes, it did slip - and don't worry, I didn't do anything :)
> I'll have to go back through the release threads - is there something
> that you used that automates copying the resources to that location?

No, I just manually copied them over.

> Also, just out of curiosity, why do we publish there instead of the
> mentioned location in the release-publishing.html page?

Hmm... that's the exact dist location. As of now, we are a sub-project
of the incubator so we publish under Incubator's dist location like
all of the other Incubator projects, and as a Maven-based project we
also publish to repository.apache.org as well (which is synched to
Central).

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.