Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by sa...@bt.com on 2002/08/28 16:22:28 UTC

Versioning of WSDL

All,

I have question, which has probably been debated and solved by people
before, but could anyone help me please!

Suppose I have version 1.0 of my WSDL (Web Service) and then I want to move
to version 2.0 and also support version 1.0. How would you propose to solve
this problem?

Any help/suggestion most welcome!!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Santosh

Re: Versioning of WSDL

Posted by Ricky Ho <ri...@cisco.com>.
Unfortunately, there isn't a concept of compatibility and versioning in
WSDL, neither do the UDDI tmodel (the only thing I've seen is the OGSA spec).

I don't think including a version number in the <service> tag will help
because it is the PortType definition that has been changed.  I guess you
are actually talking about embedding the version number into the namespace,
not the service name.

An approach that I've taken is that any new version of WSDL will use a new
Namespace so existing client will not accidentally bind to them.  Then I
change the implementation of the old operations of my old porttype to throw
a SOAP fault (version mismatched) along with the URL of the new version of
the WSDL embedded.  The client will then do a rebind to the latest WSDL.

I hope the SOAP spec can standardize such a SOAP fault to deal with version
mismatch.

Best regards,
Ricky

Re: Versioning of WSDL