Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by "B. Wells" <b_...@appleisp.net> on 2005/12/05 02:05:58 UTC

Re: MacOSX client, WinXP server, locking problems

On Nov 24, 2005, at 4:21 AM, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Can anyone confirm whether APR's locking works on WinXP shares
> mounted on
> MacOSX?

To understand how APR locks files on Mac OS X, take a look at the
file_io/unix/flock.c file in the APR distribution. You will see that
the source will compile to use fcntl if that is present or fall back
to the older (and in some cases less reliable) flock. With Mac OS X,
fcntl is present and therefore used by APR for file locking.

I also ran into issues with using Subversion on Mac OS X when the
repositories are located on network shares. It was not surprising
when Berkeley DB repositories failed, because the Subversion Book
states in part "If you need multiple computers to access the
repository, you create an FSFS repository on the network share, not a
Berkeley DB repository." Unfortunately, even the FSFS repositories
failed on network shares.

Some tests with fcntl and flock revealed the cause of the problem.
Here are the results:

HFS Local Drives - fcntl and flock work as expected
AFP Network Share - fcntl not supported; flock seems to work, but no
locking really happens!
SMB Network Share - fcntl not supported; flock works, but shared
locks act like exclusive locks

So the obvious thing to do first is to have the flock.c source check
to see if the file is on an SMB share and use flock instead of fcntl.
It doesn't stop there, though. Subversion makes recursive shared
locks on a file. Usually this is not a problem, but it doesn't work
since shared locks are acting like exclusive locks as revealed in the
test results. Some sort of convoluted tracking mechanism would be
needed for these locks to act as proper shared locks...

I was determined to get Subversion working on the SMB network shares
at work as they haven't yet let me set up a dedicated Subversion
server. So I wrote a patch for APR 0.9.6 as distributed with
Subversion 1.2.0. This patch will add extra code when compiled on Mac
OS X so that SMB shares are special cased for (mostly) proper file
locking. On other platforms, the patched flock.c compiles as before.
Feel free to fetch a copy of the patch and make use of it.

http://homepage.mac.com/brianwells/.Public/svn_darwin_flock_patch

It so happens that Subversion 1.2.3 still uses APR 0.9.6, so the
patch should work fine. The flock.c file has not changed with APR
0.9.7 or 1.2.2, so the patch may even work for those versions of APR.

Let me know if any of you have questions or suggestions regarding the
patch.

Thanks,

– Brian Wells
b_wells@appleisp.net