Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by Varun Varadarajan <vv...@usc.edu> on 2015/03/12 04:50:06 UTC

GSOC 2015 Introduction and Project of Interest

Hi,

My name is Varun and I am a graduate student at the University Of Southern
California majoring in Computer Science. My interests include Information
Retrieval, Natural Language Processing and Artificial Intelligence.

During my undergraduate course, I was worked on a few NLP related projects
such as implementing an unsupervised algorithm for topic segmentation
(TextTiling algorithm by Marti Hearst) and a chatbot.

I recently started working on Apache Nutch as part of a class project where
I had to leverage certain APIs from OpenNLP to develop algorithms related
to duplicate detection in crawled data. I was really fascinated by the
capabilities of OpenNLP and I want to contribute towards it's development.

I noticed that there are a couple of projects posted with the label
gsoc2015 and I am interested in working on Unsupervised WSD
techniques(OPENNLP-758). Before, I start working on my project proposal, I
was wondering if there were any warm up tasks that I can take up so as to
familiarize myself more with the codebase.

I request you to help me get started with OpenNLP. So far, I have gone
through the documentation and was able to clone build OpenNLP on my
machine.

Thanks and regards,
Varun
http://varun-varadarajan.info