Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Douglas Ferguson <do...@douglasferguson.us> on 2009/04/27 22:39:55 UTC

Logging for performance analysis

We are experiencing some hard to trace performance issues (CPU pegged by JAVA). so we want to implement some logging in order to Audit the code.

Any suggestions on wicket state that we can easily print out? I.E. size of page map? Etc?

D/

Re: Logging for performance analysis

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
turn on the request logger - it dumps a ton of data on every request.
i think it's in the debug settings IIRC

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com

Posted by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com>.

yeah, i think yourkit is the way to go.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Toffetti <dt...@yahoo.com.ar>.
Douglas Ferguson <douglas <at> douglasferguson.us> writes:

> I will definitely share my findings. I saw 400% CPU (we have 4 proc box),
> the other day!
>
> What debugging approach are you taking?
>
> Douglas

    I've tried a couple monitoring tools for Tomcat, but they where too
intrusive (required installation on the server). There was one in particular
that only required configuring Java for JMX (Management Extensions) but I had to
do other things and I will get into it in a few days I hope.
    My suspicion is that the problem can be memory leaks in the library we use
to access the database. It was withdrawn from sourceforge recently and I plan to
change it to something else.
    For your interest, I can tell you that the response and performance greatly
improved when I changed the model for a couple of data tables to
LoadableDetachableModel.
    This is our first Java web app so a lot of inexperience with all the tools,
but Tomcat not only get stuck to 30-80% CPU from time to time but it even
crashes sometimes, I'm afraid I'm missing some obvious configuration.

Cheers,

Daniel

Re: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-847

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
no that one isnt in 1.3.5

The commit is done by igor together with:

WICKET-1916, WICKET-1998

Posted by Steve Swinsburg <s....@lancaster.ac.uk>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by Steve Swinsburg <s....@lancaster.ac.uk>.

Posted by Douglas Ferguson <do...@douglasferguson.us>.
So, is this fixed in 1.3.6?

RE: Logging for performance analysis

Posted by Douglas Ferguson <do...@douglasferguson.us>.
I will definitely share my findings. I saw 400% CPU (we have 4 proc box), the other day!

What debugging approach are you taking?

Douglas

Douglas Ferguson <douglas <at> douglasferguson.us> writes:

> We are experiencing some hard to trace performance issues (CPU pegged by
JAVA). so we want to implement some
> logging in order to Audit the code.
>
> Any suggestions on wicket state that we can easily print out? I.E. size of
page map? Etc?

> D/

Hi,

    I'm having similar problems, my setup is: Java 1.6.10, Wicket 1.3.5 and
Tomcat 6 on Windows XP. Tomcat seems to need 50% CPU from time to time, and
often for a very long time.
    Will try Jeremy's suggestion, mind to share your findings ?

Cheers,

Daniel

Re: Logging for performance analysis

Posted by Daniel Toffetti <dt...@yahoo.com.ar>.