Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "F.Xavier Noria" <fx...@isoco.com> on 2002/05/02 20:10:15 UTC

problems setting up Apache::AuthCookieDBI

I am having problems configuring Apache::AuthCookieDBI and am a bit
lost, since it seems there is something wrong with the secret key
file I cannot see, I attach below the configuration in case it can
help. I have checked the permissions of the file (the server runs
in by box as "fxn"):

$ ls -la /home/fxn/prj/bw/buscawap/etc/auth.key
-rw-------    1 fxn            12 May  2 19:20 /home/fxn/prj/bw/buscawap/etc/auth.key

If I request "/docs" these messages appear in error_log:

[Thu May  2 20:07:19 2002] [error] access to /login failed for 127.0.0.1, reason: Apache::AuthCookieDBI: didn't have the secret key for auth realm Busc
aWAP
[Thu May  2 20:07:21 2002] [error] access to /docs failed for 127.0.0.1, reason: Apache::AuthCookieDBI: didn't the secret key from for auth realm Busca
WAP

Any hint on what could I be doing wrong?

-- fxn

PerlModule Apache::AuthCookieDBI

PerlSetVar BuscaWAPPath /
PerlSetVar BuscaWAPLoginScript "/cgi/login.pl"

# These must be set
PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_DSN "dbi:Oracle:BW_CATALOG"
PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_SecretKeyFile "/home/fxn/prj/bw/buscawap/etc/auth.key"

# These are optional, the module sets sensible defaults.
PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_User            "wap"
PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_Password        "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_UsersTable      "view_active_users"
PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_UserField       "login"
PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_PasswordField   "password"
PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_CryptType       "none"
PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_GroupsTable     "view_active_users"
PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_GroupField      "rol"
PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_GroupUserField  "login"
PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_EncryptionType  "none"
PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_SessionLifetime 00-24-00-00

<Location /login>
     AuthType    Apache::AuthCookieDBI
     AuthName    BuscaWAP
     SetHandler  perl-script
     PerlHandler Apache::AuthCookieDBI->login
</Location>

Alias /cgi /home/fxn/prj/bw/buscawap/www/cgi/
PerlModule Apache::Registry

<Location /cgi>
    SetHandler   perl-script
    PerlHandler  Apache::Registry
    Options     +ExecCGI
</Location>

<Location /docs>
    AuthType          Apache::AuthCookieDBI
    AuthName          BuscaWAP
    PerlAuthenHandler Apache::AuthCookieDBI->authenticate
    PerlAuthzHandler  Apache::AuthCookieDBI->authorize
    require           valid-user
    SetHandler        perl-script
    PerlHandler       BuscaWAP::Apache::Docs
</Location>

Re: problems setting up Apache::AuthCookieDBI

Posted by "F.Xavier Noria" <fx...@isoco.com>.
On Thu, 02 May 2002 15:22:59 -0400
Fran Fabrizio <ff...@mmrd.com> wrote:

: Do you have this in httpd.conf (or mod_perl.conf)
:
: PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_SecretKeyFile /home/fxn/prj/bw/buscawap/etc/auth.key
:
: ?

I have all mod_perl-related things in mod_perl.conf, and httpd.conf
ends with this line:

    Include /home/fxn/prj/bw/buscawap/etc/mod_perl.conf

Could that matter?

-- fxn

Re: problems setting up Apache::AuthCookieDBI

Posted by Fran Fabrizio <ff...@mmrd.com>.
Do you have this in httpd.conf (or mod_perl.conf)

PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_SecretKeyFile /home/fxn/prj/bw/buscawap/etc/auth.key

?

-Fran

Re: problems setting up Apache::AuthCookieDBI (solved but no fully understood)

Posted by Fran Fabrizio <ff...@mmrd.com>.
>I for sure), I don't understand why the order does not matter in your
>machine. Do we have the same version of the module (v1.18)?
>
>-- fxn

Ah, no, I've got 1.10.

Here is the relevant part of my config file....

# AuthCookieDBI config
PerlModule Apache::AuthCookieDBI
PerlSetVar RMSPath /
PerlSetVar RMSLoginScript /rms/login
PerlSetVar RMSDBI_SecretKeyFile /usr/local/apache/RMSsecretkeyfile
PerlSetVar etc......

So much for backwards compatibility. ;-)

-Fran

Re: problems setting up Apache::AuthCookieDBI (solved but no fully understood)

Posted by "F.Xavier Noria" <fx...@isoco.com>.
On Mon, 06 May 2002 10:04:28 -0400
Fran Fabrizio <ff...@mmrd.com> wrote:

: >Jacob Davies (author of Apache::AuthCookieDBI) confirmed the secret key
: >file has to be set before the PerlModule directive, it is a bug in the
: >documentation.
: >
: Except it doesn't really, because it works fine for me. =)
:
: I compiled mod_perl static, I tend to avoid DSO if possible.

The Eagle book says (page 58):

    Apache processes the configuration directives on a first-come,
    first-serve basis, so in certain cases, the order in which
    directives appear is important.

So Apache passes PerlModule and PerlSetVar to mod_perl as it finds it in
its configuration file. If mod_perl loaded modules as they come by means
of PerlModule that would explain why variables set with PerlSetVar after
that directive are not seen by the very module at loading time.

As that seems to be the behaviour in my static mod_perl and Jacob Davies
said he had to change the documentation (and he knows more mod_perl than

Posted by Fran Fabrizio <ff...@mmrd.com>.

Posted by "F. Xavier Noria" <fx...@isoco.com>.
On Fri, 3 May 2002 22:02:18 -0700
"Jim Helm" <jj...@att.net> wrote:

: I was having the exact same problem 2 days ago... Could it be a
: difference in static vs. dso? I'm running mod_perl as a dso - how about
: you two?

I compiled httpd.

Posted by Jim Helm <jj...@att.net>.
Strictly speaking "_" is (was?) an illegal character for DNS names.  I
used to go round-n-round with a fellow sysadmin about that fact, and
that we shouldn't use "_" in hostnames.

Jim

Posted by Rafael Caceres <rc...@aasa.com.pe>.
Peter:

Posted by Jim Helm <jj...@att.net>.

Posted by Jim Helm <jj...@att.net>.
I was having the exact same problem 2 days ago... Could it be a
difference in static vs. dso? I'm running mod_perl as a dso - how about
you two?

I did basically the same troubleshooting (added some log_error
statements to the BEGIN block) and noticed the same thing - SecretKey
file wasn't getting read.  For some reason the dir_config hash is empty
(completely, not just of *DBI_* entries) when that BEGIN block is
executed.  I don't know enough about apache internals to understand why
moving the PerlModule line to the end of the PerlSetVar *DBI_*
directives makes a difference, but it does (for some at least).

Jim

Posted by Fran Fabrizio <ff...@mmrd.com>.

Posted by "F.Xavier Noria" <fx...@isoco.com>.
On Fri, 03 May 2002 09:09:08 -0400
Fran Fabrizio <ff...@mmrd.com> wrote:

: >
: >
: >has solved the problem. I am doing something wrong or the example in the
: >manual page would need to be modified?
: >
: That's odd, I load my module first before setting the secret key (or any
: of the other variables) and it works fine for me.

If the module was loaded when the server sees the "PerlModule" directive
I think this code from Apache::AuthCookieDBI (version 1.18) implies that
variable in particular needs to be set before:

#===============================================================================
# S E R V E R   S T A R T   I N I T I A L I Z A T I O N
#===============================================================================

BEGIN {
	my @keyfile_vars = grep {
		$_ =~ /DBI_SecretKeyFile$/
	} keys %{ Apache->server->dir_config() };
	foreach my $keyfile_var ( @keyfile_vars ) {
		my $keyfile = Apache->server->dir_config( $keyfile_var );
		my $auth_name = $keyfile_var;
		$auth_name =~ s/DBI_SecretKeyFile$//;
		unless ( open( KEY, "<$keyfile" ) ) {
			Apache::log_error( "Could not open keyfile for $auth_name in file $keyfile" );
		} else {
            Apache::warn("Adding key for realm $auth_name");
			$SECRET_KEYS{ $auth_name } = <KEY>;
			close KEY;
		}
	}
}

Posted by Fran Fabrizio <ff...@mmrd.com>.

Posted by "F.Xavier Noria" <fx...@isoco.com>.
On Thu, 2 May 2002 20:10:15 +0200
F. Xavier Noria <fx...@isoco.com> wrote:

: I am having problems configuring Apache::AuthCookieDBI and am a bit
: lost, since it seems there is something wrong with the secret key
: file I cannot see, I attach below the configuration in case it can
: help. I have checked the permissions of the file (the server runs
: in by box as "fxn"):

The problem, it seems, was that I was setting the variables used by the
module _after_ loading it, as in the example of its manual page:

    PerlModule Apache::AuthCookieDBI
    PerlSetVar BuscaWAPPath /
    PerlSetVar BuscaWAPLoginScript "/cgi/login.pl"

    # These must be set
    PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_DSN "dbi:Oracle:BW_CATALOG"
    PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_SecretKeyFile "/home/fxn/prj/bw/buscawap/etc/auth.key"

Apache::AuthCookieDBI reads its config variables in a BEGIN block. I
inserted a trace there and keys %{ Apache->server->dir_config() };
returned no variable set via PerlSetVar after that PerlModule directive.

So the hash %SECRET_KEYS, initialized there, had no entries.

Moreover, when I tried to access a protected URL as localhost/docs I was
redirected to /cgi/login.pl as configured (as you see, after PerlModule
as well), which confused me. I suppose this is so because the module
sees the variable at runtime, where the config file has been already
fully read.

Posted by "F.Xavier Noria" <fx...@isoco.com>.
On Thu, 02 May 2002 20:24:10 +0200
Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be> wrote:

: At 20:10 02.05.2002, F.Xavier Noria wrote:
: >PerlModule Apache::AuthCookieDBI
: >
: >PerlSetVar BuscaWAPPath /
: >PerlSetVar BuscaWAPLoginScript "/cgi/login.pl"
: >
: ># These must be set
: >PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_DSN "dbi:Oracle:BW_CATALOG"
: >PerlSetVar BuscaWAPDBI_SecretKeyFile "/home/fxn/prj/bw/buscawap/etc/auth.key"
:
: Have you tried inserting these into the respective <Location> sections? I'm
: not sure, but I think PerlSetVars aren't merged into location-specific
: configuration, so they might not actually be caught by Apache::AuthCookieDBI

I guess this is not the problem since /cgi/login.pl gets run by the
module and is configured the same way. Thank you anyway!

-- fxn

Re: problems setting up Apache::AuthCookieDBI

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
> I'm not sure, but I think PerlSetVars aren't merged into
> location-specific configuration, so they might not actually be caught by
> Apache::AuthCookieDBI

they should merge just fine.  I do stuff like

PerlSetVar  DBASE  dbi:Oracle:HELM

all the time and grab it in <Location> specific handlers

--Geoff

Re: problems setting up Apache::AuthCookieDBI

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be