Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Ganesh Chandrasekaran <gc...@wayfair.com> on 2015/06/09 23:01:29 UTC

Multilang: message timeout and tick tuple question

Hi all,

I was reading the attached email thread that was discussed here before and I have few questions about message timeouts and tick tuples.

I am doing some testing using 0.9.4 version and I have my topology.message.timeout.secs = 60

I have a bolt that is written using multilang protocol in PHP and is doing the following:

1.       Log a message to indicate process started

2.       Sleep for 150 seconds

3.       Log a message to indicated process ended

I would have expected the message to expire after 60 seconds but I see the process completing successfully by logging the 3rd step as well.

My questions -

1.       What exactly does the message timeout do? Because it looks like it is doing nothing in terms of timing out the message. Also, I have "topology.enable.message.timeouts" set to true

2.       Do I need to call something in code to explicitly invoke the a function that would eventually do the check to expire the message?

3.       What does the tick tuple do? Initially I had not set "topology.tick.tuple.freq.secs" at all. So from reading the attached email conversation I think it was set to message timeout seconds by default. Later I set it to 2 secs and my worker won't start and keeps failing. What is an expected value for this and when should we be configuring this?

P.S: I read documentations but they don't seem to give me a detailed understanding

Thanks,
Ganesh

RE: Multilang: message timeout and tick tuple question

Posted by Devang Shah <de...@gmail.com>.
The fail method of the spout gets called on message timeouts. It will not
stop/suspend processing of the current message flow. Everything happens
asynchronously, read about ackers in storm docs.

Thanks and Regards,
Devang

Posted by Ganesh Chandrasekaran <gc...@wayfair.com>.