Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/08 12:37:26 UTC

M2 migration status

Hi,

Just want to describe the current status of the migration for others
to help them follow up and contribute in any way - send
patches/comment/argue/etc. ;) I'll do my best to procees patches and
answer questions as they come. It should also help everybody who's
working on it sync'ing and moving on from the same point.

(Anita, Anders, Henri, Prasad, could you, please, confirm we're at the
same point in the migration?)

It describes the state of the repository as of today:

$  svn info
Repository UUID: 13f79535-47bb-0310-9956-ffa450edef68
Revision: 383911
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: jlaskowski
Last Changed Rev: 383906
Last Changed Date: 2006-03-07 16:29:45 +0100 (Tue, 07 Mar 2006)
Properties Last Updated: 2006-03-01 00:44:58 +0100 (Wed, 01 Mar 2006)

The Geronimo build requires Maven 2.0.2 with no additional
configuration tweaks (there was a *false* alarm about having to use
the daily build of M2). Modules are subprojects of the top-level
project and thus the general configuration happens in the parent
pom.xml (versions, repositories, properties, etc.) whereas the child
poms merely reference them.

The list of (possibly-partially) migrated submodules includes:

[INFO]   Geronimo
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Activation
[INFO]   Geronimo :: ActiveMQ Embedded RAR
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Kernel
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Common
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Interceptor
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Util
[INFO]   Geronimo :: System
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Management API
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Core
[INFO]   Geronimo :: J2EE
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Web Services
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Security
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Axis
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Transaction
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Naming
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Client
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Deployment
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Connector
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Deploy :: Common Config
[INFO]   Geronimo :: J2EE Schema
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Service :: Builder
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Security :: Builder
[INFO]   Geronimo :: J2EE :: Builder
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Naming :: Builder
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Test :: DDBeans
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Connector :: Builder
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Configuration Converter
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Web :: Builder
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Deploy :: JSR-88
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Deploy :: CLI Tool
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Derby
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Directory
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Deploy :: Hot Deployer
[INFO]   Geronimo :: JavaMail Transport
[INFO]   Geronimo :: JMX Remoting
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Mail
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Scripts
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Session
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Spring
[INFO]   Geronimo :: Timer

Each module has its own subtask of
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-851, which is the JIRA
main task for the M2 migration. The migration is meant to be done once
the task has been closed. You can watch it so you'll be notified when
it's happened (login to JIRA and use Watch link in the Operations of
the left-hand side pane).

You execute the build using the m2 standard phases - install, test,
verify, clean. Of course the first time you're building it, you'll
need to do it connected to the Net as there're lots of dependencies to
be downloaded.

There's a feature of the build so that you don't need to execute the
whole build while you're working on a module. It's done via a profile
specified in the top-level pom and is initialized by module property.
Run

  mvn -Dmodule=<module>

to execute the build of the specified <module>. Be sure to run it from
within the top directory of the sources and the module itself. Some
tests depend on physical resources like specific directory locations
and files.

Having written all this, we're failing on the derby module due to a
non-working tests. Executing M2 finishes with the following test
error:

$ mvn -o clean install
 T E S T S
[surefire] Running org.apache.geronimo.derby.DerbySystemGBeanTest
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (DerbySystem).
[surefire] Tests run: 1, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 7.781
sec <<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

because of

junit.framework.AssertionFailedError
        at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:20)
        at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:27)
        at org.apache.geronimo.derby.DerbySystemGBeanTest.testCreateSystemUsingServerInfo(DerbySystemGBeanTest.java:46)

Hopefully, I didn't miss anything.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/8, Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>:

> Daytrader has been converted to Maven 2.

I must've missed when it happened. Will give it a try and include in
the parent pom's module list. Thanks.

> Matt

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Jacek,

Daytrader has been converted to Maven 2.  This is contained at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/daytrader

I'll be releasing 1.1 soon and then removing it from trunk.

Let me know if this works for you.

Matt

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
One other thing.  Most of my changes for little-G
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1613 were in the
configurations rather than the modules.  These aren't yet included in
the list of "things to be migrated".

I've updated the Migration Status page to include lists for the configs
and assemblies.

Joe

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn at earthlink.net

lose."   -- Jim Elliot

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/10, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>:

> 1. The tests in maven 1 ran in their own JVM. Here, they run in the
> same and thus some of the props are passed on from module to module.
> Eg. org.apache.geronimo.home.dir and org.apache.geronimo.server.dir.
> These props are set in the BasicServerInfo. The derby and directory
> tests failed b'coz it carried over these props from the transaction
> tests. The patches I submitted resets these 2 props. It works but only
> for those 2 modules. The alternative is to play safe for all modules.
> The surefire plugin has a forkMode option that can be set "pertest".
> The cons of this would be, having to setup/shutdown a JVM per test
> <forkMode>once | pertest</forkMode>
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin/howto.html
> Comments ? What should we do ?

If the previous tests have worked as a forked process, the tests in M2
should be run with the forkMode, too. Some of the modules have it
already defined. The annoying part is that such tests leave
surefire*.properties files in their home directories.

> 2. I hope we are all pruning the dependency list in the pom.xml to get
> rid of all those 3rd part dependencies. Just wanted to call that out
> and remind ourselves again.

Well, I didn't care yet about doing it, but will do from now on.
Thanks for pointing it out.

> Also, I have seen some migrated POMs that
> have commented lines that say, "used during test only", "used by
> compile only". These dependencies should have the scope element set
> appropriately.

Good point. Whenever you see such comments, get rid of them and make
appropriate changes. I must've missed them. Sorry!

> Prasad

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
    As shown below two versions of the plugin are
loaded!
Downloading:
http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/maven/pl
ugins/maven-surefire-plugin/2.1.3-SNAPSHOT/maven-surefire-plugin-2.1.3-20060311.
140339-5.pom
1K downloaded
Downloading:
http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins
/maven-surefire-plugin/2.1.3-SNAPSHOT/maven-surefire-plugin-2.1.3-20060228.01294
4-10.jar
9K downloaded
[INFO] [resources:resources]

Downloading:
http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins
/maven-surefire-plugin/2.1.3-SNAPSHOT/maven-surefire-plugin-2.1.3-20060228.01294
4-10.pom
1K downloaded
    Another thing... A file called network.log is
generated in surefire-reports dir using
mvn -Dlog4j.configuration=file:m2-log4j.properties
   But it is not created by the systemProperties
method. This needs to be investigated too. I came
across this
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSUREFIRE-71. We also
use basedir property in ServerInfoTest.java.
    M2 build can not be expected to work reliably
until these issues are resolved. But this should not
prevent us from migrating more modules.

Thanks
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/11, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>:
>      I am using win XP, j2sdk-1.4.2-09 and maven
> 2.0.2. I can not build a module which has
> <forkMode>pertest</forkMode>  line. After commenting
> it out the module builds fine. One such example is
> security module. A file named exported-pom.xml is
> created in target directory. This file seems (attached
> here) fine except that the <plugin>
> .....maven-surefine-plugin appears twice! Is anyone
> else having the same problem.

They all work(ed) for me. As I wrote in one of the recent comments in
JIRA, make sure you're using the very latest maven-surefire-plugin.
Mine is 2.1.3-20060228.012944-10.

> Anita

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

--- Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
2 things.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/10, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>:
> Jacek, I don't know if you renamed the subtasks headings under G-851
> to begin with "Migration to Maven 2: <module>" format. But I like it.
> Can I do the same for the older subtasks too that have been left as is
> ? It's a lot to easier to find them now.

Great you found it useful. I thought they might've been more
understandable when listed in Release Notes. That's some minor detail,
but it may help our users a little. Also, it makes the search more
easier.

I didn't rename any of the existing ones because I didn't mean to make
too much mess (wasn't sure if you liked it ;)) Since you asked and you
liked it, go and change the rest.

> Prasad

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/17, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>:
> All but just the following 4 modules to be migrated.
>
> interop
> jetty

Done or almost migrated.

> jetty-builder
> axis-builder

Done or almost migrated.

> Then there are the "almost-there" modules. These modules have pending
> work like one of the following -
> 1. tests don't work due to surefire plugin's bugs
> 2. properties/other resources are not procesed.
> 3. properties/resources are not in the m2 dir structure.

Will give them a try tonite^H^H^H^H^H^Htonight.

> Patches ready :
> j2ee-builder : http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1713
> axis-builder : http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1723

Applied. Please verify and report.

Thanks Prasad for your hard work! It's greatly appreciated. I think if
were to engage two more Anita's and Prasad's, the work would finish
tonight! ;)

> Prasad

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
I wonder if this a problem with maven.

I had done the same thing in this tomcat patch that I had submitted here.
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12324025/tomcat-tests.patch
+    props.setProperty("user.dir", basedir);

I think somewhere in our code, we are using the "user.dir" to
construct paths and create objects.

The "user.dir" should remain set to where the jvm was forked off and
the "basedir" should be set to the module's directory. Now there might
be instances when the the 2 properties match, eg.
1) in a top down build the forkmode is set to pertest and the jvm may
be forked from inside the module
2) the module is built from inside it (not top down).

What do you think ?

Cheers
Prasad

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 4/8/06, Andrew Steeley <an...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I had the same build break when I was using an old version of
> /etc/project.properties or /pom.xml, which had the activemq_property set to
> 3.2.  activeMQ 3.2 was moved out of the incubator in leiu of v. 4.  But it
> looks like they've upgraded the /etc/project.properties and /pom.xml file in
> the repo to use 4.0-SNAPSHOT, so perhaps check those out or manually change
> the activemq_version, activeMqVersion property?

Hi,

When I had first seen the question of Prasad I thought exactly this
way, but then realized I already changed TranQL version so it couldn't
have been that. Now when you suggested the same I wonder if the change
has ever been committed. I'll be working on the patches and M2
conversion today and will try to provide a solution (which I think is
with the version of TranQL Geronimo's using).

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Andrew Steeley <an...@hotmail.com>.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
Hi All,

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Comments inline -

On 3/30/06, Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> wrote:
> On 3/27/06, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Having hit a roadblock with the assembly-plugin (details here-
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1737), I've moved on to
> > migrating the applications now.
>
> Hi Prasad,

Hi Jacek,

> I think I found a solution to this. What about keeping the list in
> pom.xml as <property>'s? It could process the list and do what the
> current plugin does. I'll have to give it a shot. If it doesn't work
> I'll commit the already-generated-by-M1-plugin files to the repo to
> let us move on.

Keeping the list in the <property> won't help. There is a lot more
information that needs to be passed to the plugin than just the name.
At the very least, there's the destination directory. Then there's
some special post-processing like copying schema files into a
flattened structure.

We cannot use the M1 generated plugin because it depends on tags in
the project.xml to work on. We won't have any such in our pom.xml.
We'll have to revisit this big time in a separate thread when the
config changes have stabilized.

> > Once Anita is done with the packaging plugin, we begin migrating configs.
>
> +1

Anita, how far along are you on the packaging plugin ?

> --
> Jacek Laskowski

Cheers
Prasad

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 3/27/06, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Having hit a roadblock with the assembly-plugin (details here-
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1737), I've moved on to
> migrating the applications now.

Hi Prasad,

I think I found a solution to this. What about keeping the list in
pom.xml as <property>'s? It could process the list and do what the
current plugin does. I'll have to give it a shot. If it doesn't work
I'll commit the already-generated-by-M1-plugin files to the repo to
let us move on.

> Do we continue to add subtasks to the Geronimo-851 JIRA or should we
> open another JIRA ? Not that it matters now with the 16 apps but the
> subtasks list can become quite huge when we move to migrating configs.

I'd suggest we should go on additing subtasks. It lets us keep it in
one place and once the partly-green-and-red progress bar has become
green, it's done. Otherwise, we'll have to keep track of more than one
tasks, which adds nothing but additional burden.

> Once Anita is done with the packaging plugin, we begin migrating
> configs.

+1

> (It may not matter even then, but I'm just rambling here to keep the
> interest in this thread and work effort alive ;-)  But shhh.. )

That's good, but sending responses to the thread with no real progress
on the matter won't attract our attention too long ;)

> Hmm.. what else ? Jacek, wake up. You have some patches to commit :-)

I'm back after my daily work's assignments are finally
gone^H^H^H^Hdone. Gotta see what I've been missing ;)

> Prasad

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
The following patches are now ready to be applied.

Cheers
Prasad

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/21, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>:

>     I am also getting the same exception. This version
> of system properties does not work for  me either.

Ok, enough! ;) Gonna delete ~/.m2 repo completely and rebuild
Geronimo. Will report later.

> Anita

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/20, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>:
> The following modules are failing tests with NPE
>
> 1) security
> 2) jetty
> 3) tomcat
>
> [INFO] Trace
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at java.util.Hashtable.put(Ljava.lang.Object;Ljava.lang.Object;)Ljava.lang.Object;(Unknown
> Source)

Could you verify your surefire-plugin installation? Execute the
following commands to see if they match with mine.

1/ Go to Geronimo sources tree and run 'mvn -o help:describe
-Dplugin=surefire'. You should get the following output:

[INFO] [help:describe]
[INFO] Plugin: 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.1.3-SNAPSHOT'
Group Id:  org.apache.maven.plugins
Artifact Id: maven-surefire-plugin
Version:     2.1.3-SNAPSHOT
Goal Prefix: surefire

2/ Now, go to the M2 localRepository to
org\apache\maven\plugins\maven-surefire-plugin\2.1.3-SNAPSHOT and make
sure the only jar you've got is
maven-surefire-plugin-2.1.3-20060228.012944-10.jar. If it's not,
please open up maven-metadata-snapshots.xml and see what's in it. Mine
is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><metadata>
  <version>2.1.3-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <versioning>
    <snapshot>
      <timestamp>20060228.012944</timestamp>
      <buildNumber>10</buildNumber>
    </snapshot>
    <lastUpdated>20060228013013</lastUpdated>
  </versioning>
</metadata>

I'm pretty sure it's connected to the above configuration and each has
a different one.

I read on maven-dev mailing list that surefire's latest snasphot was
broken, and I had to convert all the
<propertyName>propertyValue</propertyName> to
that I had downloaded the wrong version of the plugin.

I'm updating 'mvn -U' the local repo to see if it makes any change.

> Prasad

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
Jacek, Prasad
    I am also getting the same exception. This version
of system properties does not work for  me either. I
am back to where I was on 03/06. Here are the versions
I am using :
windows xp SP2
C:\Documents and Settings\User>java -version
java version "1.4.2_09"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
(build 1.4.2_09-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_09-b05, mixed
mode)

C:\Documents and Settings\User>mvn -v
Maven version: 2.0.2

   The contents of
.m2/repository/........maven-metadata-snapshots.xml
are

wrote:

> The following modules are failing tests with NPE
>
> 1) security
> 2) jetty
> 3) tomcat
>
> [INFO] Trace
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at

java.util.Hashtable.put(Ljava.lang.Object;Ljava.lang.Object;)Ljava.lang.Object;(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

java.util.Properties.setProperty(Properties.java:128)
>         at

java.lang.System.setProperty(Ljava.lang.String;Ljava.lang.String;)Ljava.lang.String;(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.maven.test.SurefirePlugin.processSystemProperties(SurefirePlugin.java:408)
>         at

org.apache.maven.test.SurefirePlugin.execute(SurefirePlugin.java:335)

> 4) axis-builder fails tests. Remove the redudant
> surefire plugin and
> it works fine.
>
> 5) tomcat-builder tests fail.
> [surefire] Running

org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.deployment.TomcatModuleBuilderTest

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/18, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>:

>    THANKS! It was a pleasure to work on m2 migration

**** was **** ?!?! I think it still *is* ;)

> Anita

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 3/17/06, Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/3/17, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>:
> >     Good news...... I just added a line
> > <user.dir>${basedir}</user.dir>
> >  to surefire configuraiton for tomcat and built it
> > with
> > mvn -o -Dmodule=tomcat clean test !!!!
> >    I think we can use this temporarily, until maven
> > guys decide to fix it.
>
> Excellent! I wish I could've helped a bit more, but I'm completely
> swamped with the M2 internals to see how it really works. The more I
> look at the sources, the more addicted to them I am ;) I think I'll
> give up for a while as I've got a huge backlog of M2 patches to apply.
> People may get nervous and step down, shouldn't they? ;)
>
> That's great to work with such highly dedicated and motivated people
> like you and Prasad who keep pace of the migration. Thanks!

+1; it's been fun trying to keep up with you both :)

Hen

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
Jacek,
   THANKS! It was a pleasure to work on m2 migration
because of the quick turnaround time for the patches.
You had to keep up with so many patches and some time
add code without the patches!

Thnanks

   ?

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/17, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>:
>     Good news...... I just added a line
> <user.dir>${basedir}</user.dir>
>  to surefire configuraiton for tomcat and built it
> with
> mvn -o -Dmodule=tomcat clean test !!!!
>    I think we can use this temporarily, until maven
> guys decide to fix it.

Excellent! I wish I could've helped a bit more, but I'm completely
swamped with the M2 internals to see how it really works. The more I
look at the sources, the more addicted to them I am ;) I think I'll
give up for a while as I've got a huge backlog of M2 patches to apply.
People may get nervous and step down, shouldn't they? ;)

That's great to work with such highly dedicated and motivated people
like you and Prasad who keep pace of the migration. Thanks!

> Anita

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

--- Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2006/3/18, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>:
> >    The tomcat-builder is waiting!
>
> Done. Sorry, I must've missed that! Thanks Anita for
> the reminder.
>
> > I will fix the mixed spacing in the axis-builder
> tomorrow.
>
> Good. Looking forward to applying your patch.
       I did not check my mail first this morning, and
started fixing the spacing. When I tried to submit the
patch, I realized that you had already done that!
THANKS!

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/18, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>:
>    The tomcat-builder is waiting!

Done. Sorry, I must've missed that! Thanks Anita for the reminder.

> I will fix the mixed spacing in the axis-builder tomorrow.

Good. Looking forward to applying your patch.

> I would also like to remove the legacy apache-cvs repository from
> the parent pom. It is not needed anymore.

I can't test it out at the moment, but the less repos we eventually
end up with, the better. Please give it a try a couple of times before
submitting the patch.

> Anita

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
   The tomcat-builder is waiting! I will fix the mixed

spacing in the axis-builder tomorrow. I would also

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/17, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>:
> Jacek, cancel your weekend plans. You have a bunch of patches to apply
> that will keep you busy all weekend :-)  Just kidding.

Gonna apply the patches this weekend. I hope it won't take the whole
weekend, though ;)

> Prasad

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Jacek, cancel your weekend plans. You have a bunch of patches to apply
that will keep you busy all weekend :-)  Just kidding.

interop is the last module left to migrate. It's maven.xml defines a
whole bunch of goals that I don't know who uses.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

--- Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Inline -

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
Prasad,
   While working on tomcat-builder I realised that if
I need a geronimo jar not yet converted to m2, I can
get it from maven1 repo by using the following groupId
<groupId>geronimo</groupId>
<artifactId>geronimo-security</artifactId>
      If this does not work, I will try your patch.
  I am still working on security. It works for me with

1. cd modules/security and mvn clean test
2. mvn clean test -Dmodule=security
     It still does not work as part of the full build.
One of the path is still not correct :

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\target\login-audit.log
(The system cannot find the path specified)
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)
     This leads me to believe that we need to request
maven guys to fix this. In maven1 there was a property
called maven.junit.dir which could be set to indicate
the directory in which the jvm should be forked.
Surefire does not have it. Either a property should be
available or surefire should fork the jvm correctly
from the child project and set user.dir.
   I am runnig some more tests.

Thnaks
Anita
--- Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Anita,
>
> Remember how security module works for everybody
> else but just me. The
> security test in Jetty fails with the exact same
> stacktrace as the
> security module. I have a feeling that this might
> work for everybody
> else too.
>
> I have tried both forkmode settings but in vain !
>
> Could you please try this jetty patch and let me
> know ?
>
> The deps list in the pom.xml is not pruned yet.
>
> Cheers
> Prasad
>
> On 3/17/06, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > --- Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Anita,
> > >
> > > You can do away with this line that you have in
> your
> > > tomcat's pom

<localRepoDir>${user.home}/.m2/repository</localRepoDir>

> > > You can get it by using
> ${settings.localRepository}.
> > > You don't need to
> > > have a settings.xml file.
> >
> >            This patch is already waiting to be
> > applied.
> >
> > Thnaks
> > Anita
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Prasad

> successfuly
> > > from inside the

> security
> > > from the
> 2.1.3-SNAPSHOT!
> > > I think
> > > migrated. Any

> <a_...@yahoo.com>

> and
> > > built it
> > > until maven

> <a_...@yahoo.com>

> > > user.dir
> invoked.
> > > M2 is not
> directory.
> > > It
> incorrectly.
> > > All the
> > > network.log  are

> > > <go...@gmail.com>

> > > be

> > > modules. These
> > > plugin's
> not
> > > procesed.
> the
> > > m2 dir

> pruned
> > > the

> > > <fl...@gmail.com>

> > > geronimo-spec-j2ee-deployment module
> under

=== message truncated ===

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Anita,

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

--- Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Anita,
>
> You can do away with this line that you have in your
> tomcat's pom

<localRepoDir>${user.home}/.m2/repository</localRepoDir>

> You can get it by using ${settings.localRepository}.
> You don't need to
> have a settings.xml file.

           This patch is already waiting to be
applied.

Thnaks
Anita

> Cheers
> Prasad
>

> On 3/17/06, Prasad Kashyap
> <go...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jetty has the same issue. Tests run successfuly
> from inside the
> > module. Fail from the top level dir.
> >
> > On 3/17/06, Prasad Kashyap
> <go...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Working on it !
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Prasad

> from the
> I think
> migrated. Any

> built it
> until maven

> user.dir
> M2 is not
> It
> All the
> network.log  are

> <go...@gmail.com>

> be

> modules. These
> plugin's
> procesed.
> m2 dir

> the

> <fl...@gmail.com>

> geronimo-spec-j2ee-deployment module
> JDK 1.5.
> perhaps.

> sure that

> leverage it

> Geronimo ::
> and
> case the
> doesn't
> or just

> committing

> commons-test

> from the
> be being

=== message truncated ===

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Anita,

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Working on it !

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
    Good news...... I just added a line

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
   Few more things....

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/9, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>:

> The geronimo-spec-j2ee-deployment module was giving errors; but I
> realised I was building under JDK 1.5. It works fine under 1.4; so
> something for the future there perhaps.

I think I've seen a way to make sure that M2 is used on Java 1.4.
Can't remember what it was, though. Will need to take a look at
Brett's reponse.

...after awhile

Got it.

<prerequisites>
 <maven>2.0.3-SNAPSHOT</maven>
</prerequisites>

Now, there might be a way to leverage it and ensure Java 1.4 runtime.

> Next I get errors from the Geronimo :: Directory module; this is
> because I'm being a aggressive and turning off the snapshot
> repositories in the top pom. directory-asn1 depends on commons-test,
> which is unreleased. In this case the ideal solution is to set
> commons-test to test scope so it doesn't end up in the build - I'll
> work on getting that changed - or just having them not depend on
> commons-test :)

Great. I'm looking forward to committing your patch ;)

> Hen

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
comments inline...

--- Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> anita kulshreshtha wrote:
>
> >     I am in favor of running parallel builds until
> all
> > the modules can be built even by skipping the
> tests.
> > Then we need to go through the dependencies and
> change
> > their scopes (compile/test/runtime) and see how m2
> > handles it. I do not think maven.xmls are being
> > modified , please correct me if I am wrong. People
> > modifying project.xml chould make a note in the
> jira
> > that the dependency list has been modified. Though
> if
> > we do the scope thing right, we should end up with
> the
> > same list... Well that is my impression...
>
> I did have to modify just one maven.xml in
> client-builder but only to
> invoke the dependency plugin.
           We will be revisiting all the *-builders
soon.
 Most of the other
> changes are in
> project.xml as you expect (which, btw, is the case
> for the tomcat
> module).  The changes that I needed to make were to
> remove, add, and
> relocate dependencies .... so these changes would
> need to be integrated
> prior to changing the scopes for M2 or they would be
> lost.
     As soon as the the changes are committed, I will
update tomcat module. I am making a note about this in
the jira.

Thnaks
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

anita kulshreshtha wrote:

>     I am in favor of running parallel builds until all
> the modules can be built even by skipping the tests.
> Then we need to go through the dependencies and change
> their scopes (compile/test/runtime) and see how m2
> handles it. I do not think maven.xmls are being
> modified , please correct me if I am wrong. People
> modifying project.xml chould make a note in the jira
> that the dependency list has been modified. Though if
> we do the scope thing right, we should end up with the
> same list... Well that is my impression...

I did have to modify just one maven.xml in client-builder but only to
invoke the dependency plugin.  Most of the other changes are in

joe.bohn at earthlink.net

lose."   -- Jim Elliot

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

joe.bohn at earthlink.net

lose."   -- Jim Elliot

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
    Does the report say a test kernel is already
running?

Thanks
Anita

--- Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I delete my entire geronimo source directory and do
> a fresh svn
> checkout everyday. Yesterday, I even deleted my
> entire m2 local.repo
>
> These are the test errors I see when I built from
> inside the module or
> from top down.
>
> [INFO] Setting reports dir:

C:\Apache\geronimo\modules\security\target/surefire-reports

>  T E S T S

> [surefire] Running
> org.apache.geronimo.security.ContextManagerTest
> [surefire] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1,
> Time elapsed: 0.15
> sec <<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
> [surefire] Running

org.apache.geronimo.security.jaas.ConfigurationEntryTest
> [surefire] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1,
> Time elapsed: 1.111
> sec <<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
> [surefire] Running

org.apache.geronimo.security.jaas.LoginKerberosNonGeronimoTest
> [surefire] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0,
> Time elapsed: 0.881 sec
> [surefire] Running
> org.apache.geronimo.security.jaas.LoginKerberosTest
> [surefire] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0,
> Time elapsed: 0.891 sec
> [surefire] Running

org.apache.geronimo.security.jaas.LoginPropertiesFileTest
> [surefire] Tests run: 5, Failures: 0, Errors: 1,
> Time elapsed: 2.844
> sec <<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
> [surefire] Running
> org.apache.geronimo.security.jaas.LoginSQLTest
> [surefire] Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 3,
> Time elapsed: 0.931
> sec <<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
> [surefire] Running

org.apache.geronimo.security.jaas.MultipleLoginDomainTest
> [surefire] Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0,
> Time elapsed: 0.06 sec
> [surefire] Running

org.apache.geronimo.security.jaas.NoLoginModuleReuseTest
> [surefire] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0,
> Time elapsed: 0.05 sec
> [surefire] Running
> org.apache.geronimo.security.jaas.TimeoutTest
> [surefire] Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 1,
> Time elapsed: 1.692
> sec <<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
> [surefire] Running

org.apache.geronimo.security.jacc.GeronimoPolicyConfigurationFactoryTest
> [surefire] Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0,
> Time elapsed: 0.03 sec
> [surefire] Running

org.apache.geronimo.security.network.protocol.SubjectCarryingProtocolTest
> [surefire] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1,
> Time elapsed: 1.112
> sec <<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
> [surefire] Running

org.apache.geronimo.security.remoting.jmx.RemoteLoginTest

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
I delete my entire geronimo source directory and do a fresh svn
checkout everyday. Yesterday, I even deleted my entire m2 local.repo

These are the test errors I see when I built from inside the module or
from top down.

[INFO] Setting reports dir:
C:\Apache\geronimo\modules\security\target/surefire-reports
 T E S T S
[surefire] Running org.apache.geronimo.security.ContextManagerTest
[surefire] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 0.15
sec <<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
[surefire] Running org.apache.geronimo.security.jaas.ConfigurationEntryTest
[surefire] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 1.111
sec <<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
[surefire] Running
org.apache.geronimo.security.jaas.LoginKerberosNonGeronimoTest
[surefire] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.881 sec
[surefire] Running org.apache.geronimo.security.jaas.LoginKerberosTest
[surefire] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.891 sec
[surefire] Running org.apache.geronimo.security.jaas.LoginPropertiesFileTest
[surefire] Tests run: 5, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 2.844
sec <<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
[surefire] Running org.apache.geronimo.security.jaas.LoginSQLTest
[surefire] Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 3, Time elapsed: 0.931
sec <<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
[surefire] Running org.apache.geronimo.security.jaas.MultipleLoginDomainTest
[surefire] Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.06 sec
[surefire] Running org.apache.geronimo.security.jaas.NoLoginModuleReuseTest
[surefire] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.05 sec
[surefire] Running org.apache.geronimo.security.jaas.TimeoutTest
[surefire] Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 1.692
sec <<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
[surefire] Running
org.apache.geronimo.security.jacc.GeronimoPolicyConfigurationFactoryTest
[surefire] Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.03 sec
[surefire] Running
org.apache.geronimo.security.network.protocol.SubjectCarryingProtocolTest
[surefire] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 1.112
sec <<<<<<<< FAILURE !!
[surefire] Running org.apache.geronimo.security.remoting.jmx.RemoteLoginTest
[surefire] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 1.142

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/9, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>:

> From the existing top level pom that we now have in the trunk, only 2
> modules fail a top down build.  (This is after you apply the patch for
> directory http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1717)

Committed as revision 384541. Must've missed it.

> The 2 modules having issues  are security and j2ee-schema.

What issues are you seeing in the security module? Just double-checked
it and it worked for me (be it executed in its own directory or in the
top-level directory with maven-surefire-plugin directory renamed in
the m2 local repo).

> For now, we need to skip tests for security. Is it still correct that
> a later surefire plugin or maven releases will fix it for us ?

Are you working with the latest sources? It seems you're not.

> For the j2ee-schema, we still don't know what the problem is. I had a
> conversation with David Jencks last evening, the gist of which can be
> seen in the JIRA comments. If nobody is looking at this, I can own
> this piece. Anita ? Henri ?

If you don't mind, go ahead (unless they're working on it).

> Here's my next concern. For these modules that have migrated to m2, we
> should include them in the daily G builds as soon as possible. If we
> don't pull out the m1 build artifacts, project.xml and maven.xml from
> the migrated modules, then there's a chance that those may get changed
> behind our backs while we go forward converting more. There might be a
> regression of issues.

Do you have an idea as to how to achieve it? GBuild? Never worked with
it and although Dave did a great job of documenting it, which might've
made it a simple tool, I won't be able to delve into it soon. Anyone
willing to jump in and take it over? Excellent chance to participate.

> Prasad.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
comments inlne....

--- Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Jacek,
>
> From the existing top level pom that we now have in
> the trunk, only 2
> modules fail a top down build.  (This is after you
> apply the patch for
> directory
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1717)
>
> The 2 modules having issues  are security and
> j2ee-schema.

      The security module requires that no test
kenrnel should be running. This happens if there was a
test failure in the system module, it leaves a running
kernel behind. It also requires the
<systemProperties>.
     j2ee-schema requires a modification to
xmlbeans-maven-plugin (may be there is another way) to
accept catalogLocation. Without this none of the
builders can be expected to work correctly.

> For now, we need to skip tests for security. Is it
> still correct that
> a later surefire plugin or maven releases will fix
> it for us ?

    As Jacek said using
<version>2.1.3-SNAPSHOT</version> for surefire plugin
solved the systemProperties problem. May be it has not
made it to the svn. I have not tested system module
today. It was the cause of most failures 2 days ago.

> For the j2ee-schema, we still don't know what the
> problem is. I had a
> conversation with David Jencks last evening, the
> gist of which can be
> seen in the JIRA comments. If nobody is looking at
> this, I can own
> this piece. Anita ? Henri ?
    The xmlbeans-maven-plugin needs to be modified to
accept catalogLocation.
     Ant tasks in j2ee-builder and connector-builder
module need to be migrated. Currently the tests have
been disabled in pom.xml. Please feel free to pick
one!
:).

Thanks
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Jacek,

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/8, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>:

> I thought it was going to be an easy fix, adding
> System.getProperty("basedir"), but it doesn't actually use something
> local, it uses the /tmp. So I'm also looking at having it be
> target/dbderby, I'm  not sure why it needs to be in tmp anyway.

I was thinking along these lines, when suddenly Prasad sorted it out
so easy. Check it out and think how easy it was. I'm not sure if it
wasn't me who might've suggested it's something with target. If it's
me, please accept my appologies ;)

> Hen

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Sweet. Nice going.

Hen

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/8, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>:

> works fine. From the top level geronimo dir, execute
>      mvn -Psinglemodule -Dmodule=derby

Not that it will make the derby module working, but to enhance your
experience with the feature of running a single module, you don't need
to use -P option because it's already triggered by the module
property.

Run mvn -Dmodule=derby to get it running.

The derby module doesn't work because the test expects appropriate
directory and depending on where the module tests are executed from
the results vary.

> Prasad

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Interestingly, building derby from within the module (cd
modules/derby; mvn) works successfully.

Building just the derby module using the singlemodule profile also
works fine. From the top level geronimo dir, execute
     mvn -Psinglemodule -Dmodule=derby

It fails only during the top down build.

Cheers
Prasad

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/8, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>:
>     Is there a reason tomcat is not on the list?

Not that I'm aware of ;) Possibly there was no patche(s) that would
add it to the parent pom. Added in revision 384273.

Thanks for pointing it out!

> Anita

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
And there is a wiki page outlining the strategy and tracking the status.

http://opensource2.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/GERONIMO/Migration+to+Maven2

(Think j2ee-schema doesn't build succesfully from top down on a fresh
and clean checkout).

Cheers
Prasad

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/8, ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com <ia...@jpmchase.com>:
> Jacek,
>
> In light of ongoing efforts, is GERONIMO-894 (Need exhaustive list of Jelly
> usage)[1] still needed?

Hi Ian,

Well, I don't need it and I think people wouldn't use it either since
migration issues pop up while you're working on a module. IMHO, before
you call a module migrated you'll ensure all the stuff from maven.xml
is in pom.xml in some way and having the list wouldn't help much. Such
a list would quickly become obsolete, too and its maintenance wouldn't
be worth its efforts.

> Ian

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: M2 migration status

Posted by ia...@jpmchase.com.
Jacek,

In light of ongoing efforts, is GERONIMO-894 (Need exhaustive list of Jelly
usage)[1] still needed?

Thanks,
Ian

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-894