Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com> on 2020/03/23 22:10:22 UTC

Strange side effect of "antiClickJackingOption" clause in "httpHeaderSecurity"

We recently enabled the httpHeaderSecurity filter globally (i.e., in
conf/web.xml) on several customer Tomcat servers, thusly:

> <filter>
>     <filter-name>httpHeaderSecurity</filter-name>
>     <filter-class>org.apache.catalina.filters.HttpHeaderSecurityFilter</filter-class>
>        <init-param>
>          <param-name>antiClickJackingOption</param-name>
>          <param-value>SAMEORIGIN</param-value>
>        </init-param>
>     <async-supported>true</async-supported>
> </filter>

and now, it seems to be having a side effect on our mobile app, such
that the "dashboard" function of our product, while it continues to work
when accessed from a browser, is failing when accessed from our mobile
app. So far as we know, it's *only* the dashboard function (which is in
turn based on BIRT).

I know this sounds vague; it's vague because I haven't a clue what's
going on. I was hoping that somebody here might have some insights I
could pass on to our webapp/mobile app team.

--
James H. H. Lampert

Re: Strange side effect of "antiClickJackingOption" clause in "httpHeaderSecurity"

Posted by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com>.
. . .
> Your problem may stem from the same, related issues we were having. . .

Dear Mr. Schultz:

Thank you very much. I've passed on your reply to our webapp and
mobile-app team.

--
JHHL

Re: Strange side effect of "antiClickJackingOption" clause in "httpHeaderSecurity"

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

James,

On 3/26/20 12:54, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> On 3/24/20 2:25 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> I don't understand exactly how X-Frame-Options (which is what
>> the HttpHeaderSecurityFilter is configuring) is being used by
>> your application, but I believe X-Frame-Options is essentially
>> being replaced by various features of Content-Security-Policy.
>> You may want to talk to your engineers about using one of those
>> versus the other; you may want to discontinue using the "anti
>> click-jacking" features of this filter altogether in favor of
>> something else.
>
> Dear Mr. Schultz (et al):
>
> Thanks. Our webapp team combined your answer with what we could
> glean from the customer's security audit, and has come up with a
> solution involving a Content-Security-Policy, using a class he
> added to the webapp. I'm not sure, but I think it can be built into
> the WAR file.

Glad to hear they have a fix.

> On our own Tomcat server, we have another webapp that cannot have
> clickjack protection via a HTTPHeaderSecurity filter with
>>
>> <param-name>antiClickJackingOption</param-name>
>>

>> <param-value>SAMEORIGIN</param-value>
>>

> because it's specifically designed to go into a frame, in a page
> served from an entirely different server. Is that what the
> "ALLOW-FROM" option and the associated "antiClickJackingUri"
> parameter are for?

I would encourage you to read the Tomcat documentation and then go
down the rabbit hole a little bit by reading about the various headers
Tomcat is setting. The Tomcat documentation doesn't cover what all
those thing do; just what effect the config has on the headers. You
will learn better that they do by reading the header documentation
yourself than if I try to summarize here for you.

Sorry, I know that RTFM isn't the most convenient response, but I
think it's the best one for you.

- -chris

Re: Strange side effect of "antiClickJackingOption" clause in "httpHeaderSecurity"

Posted by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

James,

On 3/23/20 18:10, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> We recently enabled the httpHeaderSecurity filter globally (i.e.,
> in conf/web.xml) on several customer Tomcat servers, thusly:
>
>> <filter>
>>

>> <filter-name>httpHeaderSecurity</filter-name>
>>

>> <filter-class>org.apache.catalina.filters.HttpHeaderSecurityFilter</f
ilter-class>

>>  <init-param>
>>

>> <param-name>antiClickJackingOption</param-name>
>>

>> <param-value>SAMEORIGIN</param-value>
>>

>> </init-param>
>>

>> <async-supported>true</async-supported>
>>  </filter>
>>

> and now, it seems to be having a side effect on our mobile app,
> such that the "dashboard" function of our product, while it
> continues to work when accessed from a browser, is failing when
> accessed from our mobile app. So far as we know, it's *only* the
> dashboard function (which is in turn based on BIRT).
>
> I know this sounds vague; it's vague because I haven't a clue
> what's going on. I was hoping that somebody here might have some
> insights I could pass on to our webapp/mobile app team.

As soon as I added sameSite=lax cookie policy to our development
server, our mobile app exploded. We have also had problems with CORS
which broke our mobile application as well.

Your problem may stem from the same, related issues we were having:
many mobile apps are actually web applications being "served" by a
"server" which responds to requests to "localhost". The site-origin
for the mobile application is therefore "localhost" and does not match
"example.com" whence the real data is being fetched.