Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2001/11/08 21:16:04 UTC

Too-few data from client

More experimenting with boundary conditions (1.3).. another one for
Roy. :-)

If I send a request header such as

---
    POST / HTTP/1.0

    less than 1K of data
---

Apache 1.3 eventually responds by closing the connexion, having
sent no response at all.

Is this appropriate?  Or should we be returning a 408 Request Timeout
instead?
--
#ken	P-)}

Re: Too-few data from client

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@ebuilt.com>.
On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 03:16:04PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> More experimenting with boundary conditions (1.3).. another one for
> Roy. :-)
>
> If I send a request header such as
>
> ---
>     POST / HTTP/1.0
>
>     less than 1K of data
> ---
>
> Apache 1.3 eventually responds by closing the connexion, having
> sent no response at all.
>
> Is this appropriate?  Or should we be returning a 408 Request Timeout
> instead?

We should be returning a 408, but doing so is difficult because the 1.3
timeouts are based on a signal handler which probably doesn't have the
context necessary to know why the timeout occurred.

....Roy