Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Yves De Bruyne <yv...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/28 11:52:53 UTC

Installing Jackrabbit(Oak) on Tomcat7

Hello,

I am trying to run a jackrabbit oak based repository as a web application
backend.

We thought that having it running separately would simplify the setup.

When trying to set this up, I have encountered a few problems and I'd like
check the workarounds that I had to do against common sense or higher
experience.

---------------

Part 1) Installation

On a vanilla Tomcat 7 on Redhat
wget
https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/jackrabbit/2.16.3/jackrabbit-webapp-2.16.3.war
cp jackrabbit-webapp-2.16.3.war /usr/share/tomcat/webapps/jackrabbit.war
start tomcat
STOP tomcat (webapp has been expanded)

Hack 1)
Edit jackrabbit/WEB-INF/templates/bootstrap.properties
comment out the line repository.config=jackrabbit/repository/repository.xml

- This seems to be needed so that the oak repository creation id possible,
as an aok repo has no config file (?)

Hack 2)
cd jackrabbit/WEB-INF
wget
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk/jackrabbit-jcr2dav/src/test/resources/protectedHandlersConfig.xml

- This configuration file seems to be needed to run on tomcat 7+

These changes allow me to run jackrabbit, and the wizard creates a oak type
repository that seems to work just fine.

-------------------

Part 2) Configuration

Here I'm stumped. All the documentation refers to OSGI parameters that can
be set via Felix, yet this setup does not seem to have a Felix console that
I can find (e.g. localhost:8080/jackrabbit/server/default/system/console
(?))

I would need to make some changes to the repository:

Change 1) Change admin password
Change 2) Activate a FileDataStore to distribute binaries better (140G of
data await)

- I tried to access felix, but could not find a URL to do so
- I tried putting configurations into /usr/share/tomcat/[reponame]/install,
but I see no effect

(inspired by the last paragraphs in
https://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/osgi_config.html)

-------------

VoilĂ , these are the ordeals I'm facing. I'm pretty sure I missed something
rather ominous, but I'm more used to the silky padding of AEM, where a lot
more is hidden in the default deployment...

I hope at least the installation quirks can be useful for newcomers. If the
war file deployment is the wrong choice, maybe we can gather a bit of
information about that.
The idea was to run the repository and the webapp side by side  and have
the webapp communicate with the repo over jndi.

Thanks a lot for your time and for any pointers or suggestions.

Yves De Bruyne

--
Nobody is tired on a day of victory

Re: Installing Jackrabbit(Oak) on Tomcat7

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
Hi Yves,

I'm afraid that you've downloaded Jackrabbit 2.x
(jackrabbit-webapp-2.16.3.war), not OAK [1], while being referred to
OAK OSGi features. The download page contains both Jackrabbit 2.x and
OAK. Each has its own documentation and different feature set.
[2,3,...]

Regards,

Woonsan

[1] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/