Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by amit bohra <bo...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/15 11:58:56 UTC

How to join bigtop

Hi,

I am interested in bigtop, how to i start contributing to the same?

Any pointers?

Thanks and Regards,
Amit

Re: How to join bigtop

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
On 11/15/2011 02:58 AM, amit bohra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am interested in bigtop, how to i start contributing to the same?
>
> Any pointers?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Amit

Hi Amit,

Thank you very much for your interest and welcome!

It would greatly help if you could tell us more about your interest.
Bigtop is vast and there are many ways to help.
So if there is any specific topic you would like to work on or learn
about, don't hesitate to let us know and we will try to help you reach
that goal.

Here some areas you may be interested in:
* Improving our packaging for your favourite project
* Help keeping the packaged projects to the latest and greatest upstream
release
* Adding a new project to Bigtop
* Testing the software provided by Bigtop. This is another topic in
itself! There are tests for the packages, the projects, integration
between projects, etc.
* Improving and testing our Puppet recipes
* Adding more tests to Bigtop
* Improving out testing framework
* Write documentation

Although, the best way to start would be to download our latest release,
install it on your favourite GNU/Linux distribution and give it a try.
You may also be interested in learning how to rebuild it.

See
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201111.mbox/%3CCA%2BULb%2BuFR_Ejo5yNc3rqV0s1%2BXUWJvAw49PKJS%2By4GFz%3DtKF7w%40mail.gmail.com%3E
and

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+install+Hadoop+distribution+from+Bigtop

for more information.

In any case, don't hesitate to let us know how it goes and any feedback
you would have.
If you have any issue, don't hesitate to let us know as well and I will
do my best to help you resolve it.

Thanks,
Bruno