Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> on 2015/11/22 23:33:56 UTC

Re: [QUESTIONS] RE: [ISSUE DISCUSSIONS]

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 09:29:07 -0800
"Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org> wrote:

> I remain puzzled about the use of Forums as places to pre-discuss issues with proposed resolutions brought to Bugzilla or dev@ to "verify consensus."   I can easily be guilty of having not paid attention.  Or there is a simple misunderstanding on my part?

I think you are misunderstanding: A forum is a discussion place, where an open discussion, in this context on proposals, can be held. Hopefully, after a good discussion, a consensus on improvement can be reached and the proposal, which is in the open, may either be adopted by a code writer (hopefully a new recruit) or a link  to the forum discussion posted back to a Bugzilla thread.

Note that the general view of less experienced users is that Bugzilla is unfriendly - they dislike the need to open a new account, not understanding why their Forum account is not valid on Bugzilla.  They also often do not have the discipline to write a succinct analysis of their problem and regard the tags of "unconfirmed", "won't fix" etc as dismissive.

In my personal view, Bugzilla is adequate for bug fixing, but is not the best forum for enhancement proposals.

Rory

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: [QUESTIONS] RE: [ISSUE DISCUSSIONS]

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 23/11/2015 01:06, Dennis E. Hamilton a écrit :
> I also have a moderate concern that the Forum community is perhaps too separate from the rest of the project and we need a way for all voices to be heard, including working out proposals for remedies. In both directions. Any ideas on how to facilitate that?
When developers need feedback from the forum users, they can ask on the dev mailing list. There are already some power users from the forum who are subscribed. This is what happened in the current case. It may be easier to tag the object with something like [Forum] so that we spot it more quickly (well, talking about myself mainly here...).

What would be the list requirement exactly from the forum users? For example, Rory often reports the interesting discussions that can occur in the forum.

Hagar

RE: [QUESTIONS] RE: [ISSUE DISCUSSIONS]

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

[orcmid]

Thanks Rory,

I agree that the Bugzilla is very difficult to bring to bear and
conventional users have much difficulty with it.  However, I don't see a
problem with one of the experienced experts, administrators, or
participating devs creating the issue.

It is also helpful to create the issue early so that people who do start
from or monitor issues have a better picture and won't miss that there is a
companion discussion on the Forum.

My biggest concern is how usability issues are not being captured (and dealt
with) on the Bugzilla, which is not a problem of the forum team and it will
have to be addressed elsewhere.  I don't share the belief that Bugzilla
issues are only about identifiable code defects.  That is a conversation for
a different thread though.