Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Michael Stanley <mp...@syr.edu> on 2001/04/11 20:17:50 UTC

template properties question

I'm not sure I completely understand the difference between the
template.homepage property and the screen.homepage property (the same
goes for other similar properties, i.e. template.login and screen.login).
 Can someone please explain the differences, or point me to the source
file where I'd be able to derive these myself?

Another question I have has to do with Velocity stuff?  I saw where some
of the context's get added to RunData (i.e. data, page, content) but I
don't really see where other contexts are initiated (i.e. navigation,
screen, etc.)?

Final Question, is there an efficient way to add scripts (i.e. CSS or JS)
to a page via $page.setScript() or something along those lines?

Mike Stanley

Re: Turbine app hosted on free hosting service

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
You need to recompile your Turbine.jar with the same servlet.jar that is
used on the Tomcat 3.1 site.

FYI, Tomcat 3.1 has several security holes in it. I suggest you upgrade.

-jon

on 4/11/01 2:36 PM, "Will Kriski" <wi...@servidium.com> wrote:

> I have a small working app using turbine 1.1a10 on my local machine.  I
> uploaded
> the war file to a free servlet hosting site, www.webappcabaret.com/turbine (my
> context), which uses NSAGI 1.0 app server and Tomcat3.1 (you can choose
> either).
> This is a shared setup with a security manager, but I'm getting the following
> error (see below).  I'm just looking for any experience with turbine vs.
> tomcat
> 3.1, or anything else you guys can think of.  I read somewhere on the turbine
> site that turbine doesn't work with a security manager, but this doesn't look
> like anything related to that.  I was hoping to just drop the war file in,
> without using catalina, jserv, but the ISP's server setup.  Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> P.S. I got another web app (war file) working using another web app servlet
> framework on the same site.
>
> Error: 500
>
> Location: /turbine/servlets/will
>
> Internal Servlet Error:
>
> java.lang.VerifyError: (class: org/apache/turbine/Turbine, method: doGet
> signature:
> (Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRespons
> e;)V)
> Incompatible object argument for function call
>       at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Native Method)
>       at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:237)
>       at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.initServlet(ServletWrapper.java:298)
>       at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:445)
>       at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:559)
>
>       at ngasi.a.a.n.a(Unknown Source)
>       at ezj.b.e.run(Unknown Source)

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous

Turbine app hosted on free hosting service

Re: template properties question

Posted by Michael Stanley <mp...@syr.edu>.
> Templates are the files used by a template engine
> Screens are the Java Modules

Beautiful (yet obvious) so strike one against me :)

> $navigation is added via the Layout for the template system you are
using.
> Ie: Velocity's is in VelocityECSLayout:

>         context.put("navigation", new TemplateNavigation( data ));

Thanks

> > Final Question, is there an efficient way to add scripts (i.e. CSS or JS)
> > to a page via $page.setScript() or something along those lines?

> With Velocity, I would use a #macro

ok cool.  Thanks

Mike Stanley

Re: template properties question

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 4/11/01 11:17 AM, "Michael Stanley" <mp...@syr.edu> wrote:

> I'm not sure I completely understand the difference between the
> template.homepage property and the screen.homepage property (the same
> goes for other similar properties, i.e. template.login and screen.login).
> Can someone please explain the differences, or point me to the source
> file where I'd be able to derive these myself?

Templates are the files used by a template engine
Screens are the Java Modules

> Another question I have has to do with Velocity stuff?  I saw where some
> of the context's get added to RunData (i.e. data, page, content) but I
> don't really see where other contexts are initiated (i.e. navigation,
> screen, etc.)?

There is no such thing as $screen (as far as I know).