Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2015/02/10 20:36:28 UTC

[APACHECON] Proposed httpd (and related) track

Here's my proposed httpd (and related) track. If anyone has any
objections, changes, suggestions, whatever, please speak up. Thanks.

Day 1:

* Panel: The Apache Group greybeards: If I'd only known then (Don’t yet
have confirmation of who’s actually going to be there. Brian has
declined to speak on such a panel.) Note if that these folks don't show
up, we'll need to find something to fill this slot with. Brian has
confirmed that he'll attend, but so far I don't have an absolute
confirmation from anybody else from that era.

* What's New In Apache HTTPD 2.4 - jimjag -
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4014

* mod_rewrite and friends - rbowen -
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/1528/4013

* The State of TLS on Apache HTTP Server - wrowe -
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4346

* Reverse Proxy with Apache HTTPD 2.4: The hidden gem - jimjag -
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4015

*  The mod_proxy cookbook -  Daniel Ruggeri -
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/3816

Day 2:

* Apache HTTP Configuration API for Developers - wrowe -
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4347

* Begone mod_php! - Jim Riggs -
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4208

* A Peek at PHP 7 - John Coggeshall -
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4226

* Using Apache Traffic Server to cache "Live TV" - Mark Torluemke -
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4180

* Traffic Server on the Edge - Alan Carroll -
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4133

* Replacing Squid with Apache Traffic Server for Yahoo - Shu Kit Chan -
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4118

Day 3 - TOMCAT

* Intro to Load-Balancing Tomcat with httpd and mod_jk - Christopher
Schultz - http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4206

* Tomcat clustering: Part 1 - Reverse Proxies - Mark Thomas -
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4053

* Tomcat clustering: Part 2 - Load-balancing - Mark Thomas -
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4054

* Tomcat clustering: Part 3 - Session Replication - Mark Thomas -
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4055

* Monitoring Apache Tomcat - Christopher Schultz -
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/3847

* Choosing tomcat connectors: internals and performances - Jean-Frederic
Clere - http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/3839

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: [APACHECON] Proposed httpd (and related) track

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
> On Feb 11, 2015, at 7:11 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 16:06:14 -0700
> Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>> On Feb 10, 2015, at 12:36 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's my proposed httpd (and related) track. If anyone has any
>>> objections, changes, suggestions, whatever, please speak up. Thanks.
>>>

>>> Day 1:
>>>
>>> * Panel: The Apache Group greybeards: If I'd only known then (Don’t
>>> yet have confirmation of who’s actually going to be there. Brian
>>> has declined to speak on such a panel.) Note if that these folks
>>> don't show up, we'll need to find something to fill this slot with.
>>> Brian has confirmed that he'll attend, but so far I don't have an
>>> absolute confirmation from anybody else from that era.
>>>
>>> * What's New In Apache HTTPD 2.4 - jimjag -
>>> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4014
>>>
>>> * mod_rewrite and friends - rbowen -
>>> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/1528/4013
>>>
>>> * The State of TLS on Apache HTTP Server - wrowe -
>>> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4346
>>

>> What are the odds that we can get wrowe to do a “State of TLS in
>> Apache Web Servers”? It’d be really slick, IMO, to present a unified
>> front on how Apache HTTPD, Apache Traffic Server, and Apache Tomcat
>> supports all the various features of TLS and make the world a better,
>> more secure place. I’m sure our respective communities would gladly
>> participate and help Bill with this.
>>
>> Maybe even something as small as including some slides to show how
>> our Web server solutions provide world class TLS features? As a note,
>> ATS was the first web proxy to get All Green status on Iliya’s “Is it
>> fast yet” TLS comparison chart:
>>
>> 	https://istlsfastyet.com
>
> I think such a talk would be great, perhaps open an adjacent slot before
> or after for a companion session.
>
> I'd like this presentation already submitted to be a practical approach
> for Apache httpd admins, though.  I can talk at a high level about the
> state of ATS and Tomcat and httpd on the feature level, at the start of
> my session, but would like to spend most of the time on httpd specifics.

Very fair.

> Since you are volunteering me, I trust I can go back to you for slide
> details on the feature subset of ATS?  And I should be able to round up
> someone from Tomcat to do that feature slide(s).  As far as httpd, I had
> already planned a couple of meta slides on features at the beginning.

Absolutely. Lets’ discuss off list, but we (the ATS community) will gladly provide you any details for a slide or two that you need.

— Leif

Re: [APACHECON] Proposed httpd (and related) track

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 16:06:14 -0700
Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:

> > On Feb 10, 2015, at 12:36 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> >
> > Here's my proposed httpd (and related) track. If anyone has any
> > objections, changes, suggestions, whatever, please speak up. Thanks.
> >

> > Day 1:
> >
> > * Panel: The Apache Group greybeards: If I'd only known then (Don’t
> > yet have confirmation of who’s actually going to be there. Brian
> > has declined to speak on such a panel.) Note if that these folks
> > don't show up, we'll need to find something to fill this slot with.
> > Brian has confirmed that he'll attend, but so far I don't have an
> > absolute confirmation from anybody else from that era.
> >
> > * What's New In Apache HTTPD 2.4 - jimjag -
> > http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4014
> >
> > * mod_rewrite and friends - rbowen -
> > http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/1528/4013
> >
> > * The State of TLS on Apache HTTP Server - wrowe -
> > http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4346
>

> What are the odds that we can get wrowe to do a “State of TLS in
> Apache Web Servers”? It’d be really slick, IMO, to present a unified
> front on how Apache HTTPD, Apache Traffic Server, and Apache Tomcat
> supports all the various features of TLS and make the world a better,
> more secure place. I’m sure our respective communities would gladly
> participate and help Bill with this.
>
> Maybe even something as small as including some slides to show how
> our Web server solutions provide world class TLS features? As a note,
> ATS was the first web proxy to get All Green status on Iliya’s “Is it
> fast yet” TLS comparison chart:
>
> 	https://istlsfastyet.com

I think such a talk would be great, perhaps open an adjacent slot before
or after for a companion session.

I'd like this presentation already submitted to be a practical approach
for Apache httpd admins, though.  I can talk at a high level about the
state of ATS and Tomcat and httpd on the feature level, at the start of
my session, but would like to spend most of the time on httpd specifics.

Since you are volunteering me, I trust I can go back to you for slide
details on the feature subset of ATS?  And I should be able to round up
someone from Tomcat to do that feature slide(s).  As far as httpd, I had
already planned a couple of meta slides on features at the beginning.

Because the Configuration API talk is new material (I presented it
ad hoc to a customer's dev teams, but not formalized yet) I'd be a bit
apprehensive about adding another full talk to my plate ahead of ACUS15.
If someone volunteers for such a new session, I'd backstop the presenter
on httpd material.  And if someone steps up, the state of TLS at Apache
is broader than the servers, Apache HTTP Client and other components
would be similarly interesting to that audience, on a feature level.

Re: [APACHECON] Proposed httpd (and related) track

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 10:45:34 -0600
Daniel Ruggeri <DR...@primary.net> wrote:

> Hi, Rich;
>    I dig it. I'm all for presenting and helping to make ApacheCon
> great but I won't be able to make it on day 1 since I'll probably be
> somewhere in the air over the Gulf of Mexico mid-day. If you are
> struggling for content, I can be convinced to take on the topic that
> I brought up earlier on the list
> (http://marc.info/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=141753066016122&w=2) or to
> jump in to help Bill with what he is working on (FWIW, I can't see
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4346, so I don't know
> what Bill has up his sleeve other than what was brought up in the
> context of this discussion).
>
>    Also, don't hesitate to reach out if I can help out with any of the
> regular or "extracurricular" activities during/after/around the
> conference.

What I've proposed are two talks;

One on using the Apache Configuration API; server and directory merges,
the cmd structure, built-in handlers and custom command handling.  That
alone eats a typical 50 minutes session with questions.

The other on current TLS features and behavior of httpd.  I was asked
at dev@community if this could be on 'all Apache servers' which really
should mean 'all Apache HTTP/TLS supporting projects', and I declined
to take up that mantle.  But I'm going to shoehorn in ATS and Tomcat
in the current feature support table of this presentation, with a bit
of help.

Wonder if there isn't enough interaction between Apache module devs that
we could start a BOF just on module authoring?  Certainly a general
httpd BOF would be good.

Re: [APACHECON] Proposed httpd (and related) track

Posted by Daniel Ruggeri <DR...@primary.net>.
Hi, Rich;

--
Daniel Ruggeri