Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by stefano bucci <st...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/27 10:33:26 UTC

Help debugging a pdf

Hi all,
  I'm using a combination of FOP + pdf images plugin (
https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/fop-pdf-images.html) + pdfbox to produce
a press review merging together various pdfs + formatting.

Usually it works fine, but I have problems with some files. It happens that
when I try to import some of them (like this one
http://steuu.guru/original.pdf ) the output file is broken (
here:  http://steuu.guru/broken.pdf ) ...the REAL problem is that is broken
ONLY when you open it with acrobat, all the other programs I used (foxit,
okular, and the browsers) can read it correctly. Acrobat tells me that
there is a problem opening the file, but it gives me no idea about what the
problem is...

I tried to open it with the pdfbox debugger (version 2 ) and it finds no
problem. Can you help me find a way to debug this file??

Thank you
Stefano

Re: Help debugging a pdf

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 28.01.2016 um 11:35 schrieb stefano bucci:
>     I'm using a combination of FOP + pdf images plugin (
>>> https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/fop-pdf-images.html) + pdfbox to
>>> produce
>>> a press review merging together various pdfs + formatting.
>>>
>> Who is producing the final PDF - fop or pdfbox? Does the effect happen
>> with all files, or only with this one?
>>
> It's FOP producing the file, pdfbox it's used by the pdf image plugin.
> The pdfs I'm merging are produced by different clients, I had the problem
> with some clients, probably it could depend by how they produce these
> pdfs... BUT I wasn't able to find a 100% correspondence between the
> program/library used and the problem :-(

Feel free to post links to other PDFs with trouble. Although it's not a
PDFBox problem, I believe it could be helpful if we find out what it is.
Please do also post if you find out from another source what the problem
was.

Tilman

Re: Help debugging a pdf

Posted by stefano bucci <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Help debugging a pdf

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Re: Help debugging a pdf

Posted by stefano bucci <st...@gmail.com>.

>> 1.2.7 : Body Syntax error, Filter specified in metadata dictionnary
>>

> I doubt any of these is the cause, these are common
> non-PDFA-characteristics in PDF files. Very mysterious.

It is very mysterious, I tried to solve this problem for a long time,
without any success.... and even more mysterious the only program that is
complaining about this file is Acrobat Reader..

I tried to run the preflight on another file, a working one, and I had
exactly the same message...

I'm really puzzled

Re: Help debugging a pdf

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.