Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Scott Raymond <sc...@scottraymond.net> on 2008/07/02 18:13:14 UTC

CouchDB Success Story: Gathering Goodness

I'm successfully using CouchDB for a recipe-management application on
Facebook, called Gathering Goodness:

   http://apps.facebook.com/gathering/

The killer feature of Gathering Goodness is its ability to do
one-click importing of recipes from lots of popular cooking sites,
like Epicurious and AllRecipes. Once you've entered a recipe, you can
tag it however you like. Then, because it's on Facebook, you can
easily share your collection with friends, and see what your friends
are cooking.

The application is written in Ruby using Merb, and uses CouchDB for
all of the persistence. I've been very pleased with CouchDB's
performance and stability -- the app has been running continuously for
over six months, with no trouble. CouchDB's Views make certain
features, like tagging, far easier to implement than a traditional
relational database. And its inherent "webbiness" (REST, JSON) makes
it a natural fit for developing web applications.

Scott

Re: CouchDB Success Story: Gathering Goodness

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Excellent stuff!

I was thinking, perhaps you want to link your self on the wiki:

  http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/InTheWild

--
Noah Slater, http://people.apache.org/~nslater/

Re: CouchDB Success Story: Gathering Goodness

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Scott, this is great! :-)

Thanks for sharing the info!

Can you also share some numbers? Like, how many
documents you store, how much data that is, how many
read and write requests you get and all that?

If not, don't worry, but it'd be cool to know :)

Cheers
Jan