Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org> on 2015/05/26 12:05:18 UTC

Can we teach brand management/vendor neutrality better?

All

Over the past few months there have been several occasions where I've
given podlings/recently graduated PMCs a gentle nudge about brand
enforcement and vendor neutrality issues.  In all cases the projects have
responded positively and appropriately to these nudges and taken the
necessary actions to rectify the problems going forward.

However my general experience of the podlings I've been involved
with/follow is that with Incubation we primarily focus on teaching people
about how to make a IP clean release and teaching the Apache Way around
releases, voting, meritocracy etc while not doing so much on teaching PMCs
about their other responsibilities such as enforcing their project brand
and acting in a vendor neutral manner.

There is already some great documentation and policies on this stuff at
the ASF such as:

* http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html
<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.htmlhttp://www.apache.org/foun
dation/marks/>
* http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.htmlhttp://www.apache.org/foun
dation/marks/>
* http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html
* http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/responsibility.html
* http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/socialmedia

But if we say "Go read this" I don't see that podling members will
necessarily go and do so (other than in a perfunctory manner).

Shane Curcuru (VP, Brand Management) has a nice slide deck on this from
ApacheCon which presents the key points of those policies in an easier to
digest form:

http://www.slideshare.net/shanecurcuru/supporting-apache-brands-while-makin
g-a-profit-v20b

Though again it is a case of "go read this"

Maybe "go read this" and nudging podlings when they get it wrong is the
best we can do in this area but I'd love to know if people have any ideas
of how we could do this better?

Rob