Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Graham, Brian" <BG...@senco.com> on 2000/08/25 14:28:36 UTC

Help compiling!

Hello everyone,

I don't think this is a "modperl" problem but I am at my wits end and
struggling to get modperl installed.

On AIX 4.3.3 S70 multi CPU machine with the IBM C compiler (don't know what
version) I have done the following:

Downloaded and installed perl5.6.0

Downloaded the following modules in preparation for the installation of
Apache 1.3.12 and mod_perl 1.24
MIME-Base64-2.11
Digest-MD5-2.11
URI-1.09
libnet-1.0703
HTML-Parser-3.11
libwww-perl-5.48
Devel-Symdump-2.01
Data-Dumper-2.101
CGI.pm-2.72
Tie-IxHash-1.21
ApacheDBI-0.87

Apache-DB-0.06
Apache-Stage-1.18
Apache-Sandwich-2.04
libapreq-0.31

I installed all the modules in the documented order and I retrieved what I
*thought* I would need by using cpan and doing a get Bundle::Apache.  I
stopped compiling/installing the modules when I ran into the following error
compiling the Apache-DB-0.06 module.  The following error occurred:
---
Running Mkbootstrap for Apache::DB ()
chmod 644 DB.bs
LD_RUN_PATH="" ld -o blib/arch/auto/Apache/DB/DB.so  -bhalt:4 -bM:SRE
-bI:/home/ibmr24/bgraham/MOVEUPTOOL/perl/lib/5.6.0/aix-multi/CORE/perl.exp
-bE:DB.exp -b noentry -lC -lc -L/usr/local/lib DB.o
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .Perl_whichsig
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .Perl_rsignal_state
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more
information.
make: *** [blib/arch/auto/Apache/DB/DB.so] Error 8
---
I don't know too much about compiling software etc.  I assume the problem is
that the symbol .Perl_whichsig and .Perl_rsignal_state are Undefined :)  I
don't know where the compilation process is looking for the definitions for
these symbols.  Is it a library path problem or something simple or is it a
problem with the perl executable that I built?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

I tried to ignore this message and move on but other Undefined symbol errors
showed up so I think I should try to get this to compile and move on.  I
really appreciate any help anyone may be able to provide.

Thanks,
Brian Graham
Senco Products Inc.
513-388-3921
bgraham@senco.com

Re: Help compiling!

Posted by Jens-Uwe Mager <ju...@helios.de>.
On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 08:28:36AM -0400, Graham, Brian wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I don't think this is a "modperl" problem but I am at my wits end and
> struggling to get modperl installed.
>
> On AIX 4.3.3 S70 multi CPU machine with the IBM C compiler (don't know what
> version) I have done the following:
>
> Downloaded and installed perl5.6.0

I hope you applied my patches to perl 5.6.0 that I posted a while ago on
this list, otherwise you will get problems.

> Downloaded the following modules in preparation for the installation of
> Apache 1.3.12 and mod_perl 1.24
> MIME-Base64-2.11
> Digest-MD5-2.11
> URI-1.09
> libnet-1.0703
> HTML-Parser-3.11
> libwww-perl-5.48
> Devel-Symdump-2.01
> Data-Dumper-2.101
> CGI.pm-2.72
> Tie-IxHash-1.21
> ApacheDBI-0.87
>
> Apache-DB-0.06
> Apache-Stage-1.18
> Apache-Sandwich-2.04
> libapreq-0.31
>

> I installed all the modules in the documented order and I retrieved what I
> *thought* I would need by using cpan and doing a get Bundle::Apache.  I
> stopped compiling/installing the modules when I ran into the following error
> compiling the Apache-DB-0.06 module.  The following error occurred:
> ---
> Running Mkbootstrap for Apache::DB ()
> chmod 644 DB.bs
> LD_RUN_PATH="" ld -o blib/arch/auto/Apache/DB/DB.so  -bhalt:4 -bM:SRE
> -bI:/home/ibmr24/bgraham/MOVEUPTOOL/perl/lib/5.6.0/aix-multi/CORE/perl.exp
> -bE:DB.exp -b noentry -lC -lc -L/usr/local/lib DB.o
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .Perl_whichsig
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .Perl_rsignal_state
> ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more
> information.
> make: *** [blib/arch/auto/Apache/DB/DB.so] Error 8
> ---
> I don't know too much about compiling software etc.  I assume the problem is
> that the symbol .Perl_whichsig and .Perl_rsignal_state are Undefined :)  I
> don't know where the compilation process is looking for the definitions for
> these symbols.  Is it a library path problem or something simple or is it a
> problem with the perl executable that I built?  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

According to the perl 5.6.0 build procedure these symbols are not
supposed to be used outside of perl itself, e.g. plug-in modules. I am
in no ways knowledgeable enough in the perl internals to know if these
symbols where simply forgotton to export or if Apache::DB attempts to
access private perl symbols and gets away with it as this is not checked
on a lot of platforms. You can simply try to add these to the aix case
in makedef.pl (of the perl-5.6.0 distribution) by adding some
emit_symbol statements with Perl_whichsig and Perl_rsignal_state and
rebuilding perl.

Ultimately this should be checked with the perl5-porters@perl.org
mailing list.
--