Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com> on 2015/03/27 16:00:01 UTC

Feedback requested: Qpid web site changes

Justin has been working on an improved website, he's asked me to push
the changes in in his absence.  (This is in addition to the JMS changes
that Robbie is working on.) Take a browse at:

    http://people.apache.org/~jross/qpid-site/test/

The site is (I find anway) cleaner and more navigable, with a stronger
focus on "Qpid components".

- Emphasise Proton over old messaging API on homepage. Messaging API
still fully covered in Components.
- Stronger organization around "components", more consistent
organization into APIs and servers+tools.
- Very handy dashboard for releases and issues.

Apologies to Justin if I missed any important changes, check it out for
yourself.

I'll incorporate improvements as I hear them. I noticed some broken
links on the Documentation page which I will fix, shout if you see
others.

I there are no objections within a week I'll commit this change.

Source of changes is at:

    https://github.com/alanconway/qpid-site-next

Re: Feedback requested: Qpid web site changes

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, 2015-03-27 at 14:30 -0400, Chuck Rolke wrote:
> A. I tried the proposed site with the goal of writing a hello world from scratch using proton.
>
> 1. The python documentation is very welcoming.
>   Nav to home -> Build AMQP applications, Qpid Proton -> Python API reference
> Goes to a page that provides the highest level orientation with clear descriptions.
>
> 2. The Java documentation seems well organized but I haven't tried to use it much.
>
> 3. The C API is sparse.
>   Nav to home -> Build AMQP applications Qpid Proton -> C API reference
> This dumps into Files, File List, almost like 'ls' output. Clicking on any file shows auto-generated diagrams and file details but where's the API? The Files pages mostly show no more comments or clues than reading the raw sources themselves.
>
> [Suggestion] For the C API a better starting point would be the Modules tree. The modules entries have more detailed descriptions and type documentation that users need to see.
>
> B. The general organization is OK. Finally seeing qpid.client called out as deprecated.
>
> C. Lots of links are dead. Is that an artifact of references to proton 0.9 that doesn't exist yet?

Thanks for the detailed review! Bad proton links are probably timing, I
make sure they're all good now that 0.9 is released. I probably won't
fix the C API doc this time around but your points are good. Anyone
interested in volunteering?

Cheers,
Alan.

Re: Feedback requested: Qpid web site changes

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, 2015-03-27 at 19:14 +0000, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> On 27 March 2015 at 18:39, Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 03/27/2015 11:00 AM, Alan Conway wrote:
> >> Justin has been working on an improved website, he's asked me to push
> >> the changes in in his absence.  (This is in addition to the JMS changes
> >> that Robbie is working on.) Take a browse at:
> >>
> >>     http://people.apache.org/~jross/qpid-site/test/
> >>
> >> The site is (I find anway) cleaner and more navigable, with a stronger
> >> focus on "Qpid components".
> >
> > The download links for the new JMS client don't seem to work either on
> > the main downloads page or the download page in the JMS client section.
> >

> The JMS related bits are essentially a little stale from when they
> were originally made. I used some of Justin's earlier test site work
> as a starting point for the JMS related site updates I made last week,
> by pulling out some relevant changes and then building on top of them
> (including things like fixing those links).
>
> The wider updates will need rebased to merge in with subsequent
> changes to the live site after they were originally made (i.e the Qpid
> 0.32 and Qpid JMS 0.1.0 release updates already made, plus possibly
> Proton 0.9 and Dispatch 0.4 by the time these changes are integrated).

Yes, that is the task Justin stuck me with :) Depending on how ugly that
gets goes I may or may not ask for another review after the merge.

Re: Feedback requested: Qpid web site changes

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, 2015-03-27 at 14:39 -0400, Timothy Bish wrote:
> On 03/27/2015 11:00 AM, Alan Conway wrote:
> > Justin has been working on an improved website, he's asked me to push
> > the changes in in his absence.  (This is in addition to the JMS changes
> > that Robbie is working on.) Take a browse at:
> >
> >     http://people.apache.org/~jross/qpid-site/test/
> >
> > The site is (I find anway) cleaner and more navigable, with a stronger
> > focus on "Qpid components".
>
> The download links for the new JMS client don't seem to work either on
> the main downloads page or the download page in the JMS client section.

Thanks, I'll fix that.

Re: Feedback requested: Qpid web site changes

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.