Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by jpoloney <jp...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/25 01:50:01 UTC

ActiveMQ broker randomly dying

I've been dealing with this issue for the past few days and can't seem to get
around it. Our broker was running fine for several weeks, but recently it
dies about 5-6 times a day. I was using 5.0.0, but recently upgraded to
5.1.0, but the crashes are about the same between both versions.

Previously, I was running into "Could not accept connection : Too many open
files errors". I've upped the ulimit for our activemq user that is running
the broker, and now I am receiving the following errors before it dies:

WARN  ManagedTransportConnection     - Failed to register MBean:
org.apache.activemq:BrokerName=localhost,Type=Connection,ConnectorName=stomp,ViewType=address.

This happened for about 2-3 times a minute for a 50 minute period before
dying. During that time, I noticed that the open files connections had been
spiking (from around 211 to ~1500 before dying). I have a cronjob running
every minute that checks the number of open file connections for the
activemq account. Wondering if there is some correlation between the
ManagedTransportConnection warning and the open file connections.

I've searched around but haven't found much information regarding this
warning. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

-- Joel

Re: ActiveMQ broker randomly dying

Posted by jpoloney <jp...@gmail.com>.

qrtt1 wrote:

> consider that how many connections to your broker is reasonable?
> some situations are many connections not closed, and the broker can not
> accept any new connection.

Actually this is the same problem as this thread:
https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-1739 . When I saw the open
file connections start to go up, I did some further investigating and found
I had a ton of CLOSE_WAIT sockets. I made the change to set closeAsync=false
in my activemq.xml and so far so good.

I'm curious if this is a known bug (or feature depending on how you look at
it) with release 5.1.0. Has any one else ran into this problem? Are there
any other known solutions out for it?

Posted by qrtt1 <ch...@gmail.com>.