Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Jochen Kemnade <jo...@eddyson.de> on 2014/05/15 15:14:49 UTC

[VOTE] Drop support for Java 5 in Tapestry 5.4

There have been discussions whether we want to keep compatibility with
Java 5 for the upcoming 5.4 release.
Java 5 is EOSL since October 2009.
While requiring Java 6 would not bring us much benefits, there might be
some libraries that we cannot use because they do not support Java 5.
Also, we'd spare ourselves some efforts not having to support Java 5
anymore.
The vote will run for 3 days and, if it succeeds, I will increase the
minimum required Java version to 1.6.

Jochen Kemnade: +1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] Drop support for Java 5 in Tapestry 5.4

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
Ulrich Stärk: +0 (binding)

As I said earlier, I don't see the benefit in upgrading to 'just' 1.6 right now, even if it means we
could use newer versions of our dependencies. If you want to do it anyway I won't stand in your way.

Cheers,

Uli

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.
Lenny Primak: +1 (non-binding)

A huge +1 for 5.3.8 release that supports Java 8.

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
Bob Harner: +1 (non-binding)

Posted by françois facon <fr...@gmail.com>.
François Facon: +1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE CANCELED] Drop support for Java 5 in Tapestry 5.4

Posted by Jochen Kemnade <ke...@gmail.com>.
I guess we cannot just resume the canceled vote and I think there's
already been too much confusion, so I'll start a new vote now. Sorry for
the trouble.
Regarding the voting period, can we start a vote with an undetermined
end and let it run until we get all the votes that we need?
I'll start it with the 3 day period nonetheless. If someone objects in a
few weeks and convinces the rest of us, we could probably revert this
change without too much effort.

Jochen

Posted by Jochen Kemnade <jo...@eddyson.de>.

Posted by Jochen Kemnade <ke...@gmail.com>.
The cancelation mail hit the list before the actual voting call. The
timestamps were messed up too. So it's canceled and a new vote is yet to be
started. I'll wait until I'm sure that the ASF mail issues are sorted out.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com
@hlship

Re: [VOTE] Drop support for Java 5 in Tapestry 5.4

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Dmitry Gusev: +1 (non-binding)

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Andreas Ernst <ae...@ae-online.de> wrote:

> Andreas Ernst: +1 (non-binding)
>
> Am 15.05.14 15:14, schrieb Jochen Kemnade:
>
>  There have been discussions whether we want to keep compatibility with
>> Java 5 for the upcoming 5.4 release.
>> Java 5 is EOSL since October 2009.
>> While requiring Java 6 would not bring us much benefits, there might be
>> some libraries that we cannot use because they do not support Java 5.
>> Also, we'd spare ourselves some efforts not having to support Java 5
>> anymore.
>> The vote will run for 3 days and, if it succeeds, I will increase the
>> minimum required Java version to 1.6.
>>
>> Jochen Kemnade: +1 (non-binding)

> ae | Andreas Ernst | IT Spektrum
> Postfach 5, 65612 Beselich
> Schupbacher Str. 32, 65614 Beselich, Germany
> Tel: +49-6484-91002 Fax: +49-6484-91003
> ae@ae-online.de | www.ae-online.de
> www.tachyon-online.de

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: [VOTE] Drop support for Java 5 in Tapestry 5.4

Posted by Andreas Ernst <ae...@ae-online.de>.
Andreas Ernst: +1 (non-binding)