Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hannes Hein <ka...@gmx.net> on 2006/02/12 13:29:17 UTC

install tomcat under linux (java problem)

Hi,

I'm trying to install Tomcat 5.5.15 on a linux machine (debian 3.1 r0a).
I installed Java 5.0 already.

According to java and tomcat /etc/environment contains the following two
lines:
JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_06
CATALINA_HOME=/srv/apache-tomcat-5.5.15

I try to install tomcat in the way it is described here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html

My problem is:
if I call ./configure everithing runs fine until the following error
message:

checking for javac... /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_06/bin/javac
checking wether the Java compiler (/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_06/bin/javac)
works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: javac cannot
compile

Can someone help me? I don't know what's wrong!

thanks
--
Erstellt mit Operas revolutionärem E-Mail-Modul: http://www.opera.com/m2/

Re: install tomcat under linux (java problem)

Posted by "ruben_martin@stratesys.es" <ru...@stratesys.es>.
Hi Hannes,

in my humildy opinion the question is you do not have 1.5 in your profile.

if you put:

java -version

could not find your java 1.5

try to add to your .profile in the user \\

then put java -version to be sure that is the 1.5 version.

and then try to be sure if is in the setenv.sh and in the startup.sh

Be living,

Ruben