Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andrew Birchall <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/28 17:02:41 UTC

Getting and using the latest archetype plugin

Hello,
I wish to use the latest archetype plugin, 2.0-alpha-2 (I think that's
the latest, although one's never quite sure in the mysterious world of
Maven!)

However when I run mvn archetype:genearte it uses the 1.0-alpha-4
version and subsequently can't find this goal.

Even if I delete this plugin from my local repository maven still
downloads the 1.0-alpha-4 version and attempts to use that. (Note: not
even the 1.0-alpha-7 version!)

The documentation states that the default behaviour of Maven is to use
the latest version of a plugin.

How can I get Maven to download and use the latest archetype automatically?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Andy Birchall

Re: Getting and using the latest archetype plugin

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Andrew Birchall
<an...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  The plugins page has the version listed as 2.0-alpha-1. So there you
>  go - you could do better there. Its these little things that cause
>  confusion and a sense of doubt.

Fixed, and thanks for letting us know.

--
Wendy

Re: Getting and using the latest archetype plugin

Posted by Andrew Birchall <an...@gmail.com>.
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Andrew Birchall
>  <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  >  I wish to use the latest archetype plugin, 2.0-alpha-2 (I think that's
>  >  the latest, although one's never quite sure in the mysterious world of
>  >  Maven!)
>

> Are you following the announcements mailing list?  The plugins page
>  also has versions listed:  http://maven.apache.org/plugins/index.html
>
>  What could we do better?  [Archetype is perhaps not our best example
>  right now, the documentation does not exactly match the release.]

The plugins page has the version listed as 2.0-alpha-1. So there you
go - you could do better there. Its these little things that cause
confusion and a sense of doubt.

>  >  However when I run mvn archetype:genearte it uses the 1.0-alpha-4
>  >  version and subsequently can't find this goal.
>  >
>  >  Even if I delete this plugin from my local repository maven still
>  >  downloads the 1.0-alpha-4 version and attempts to use that. (Note: not
>  >  even the 1.0-alpha-7 version!)
>

> How did you delete it?  You'll need to delete the entire
>  maven-archetype-plugin directory including the metadata and all the
>  versions.

My mistake. I was deleting the entire archetype directory, but the
wrong one. I was deleting \.m2\repository\org\apache\maven\archetype
instead of
\.m2\repository\org\apache\maven\plugins\maven-archetype-plugin

>  >  The documentation states that the default behaviour of Maven is to use
>  >  the latest version of a plugin.
>  >
>  >  How can I get Maven to download and use the latest archetype automatically?
>

> It should Just Work.  2.0-alpha-2 is in the central repo and the
>  maven-metadata.xml correctly lists that version as the latest:
>  http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/
>
>  Are you using a mirror or an internal repository?  If so, check the
>  metadata file, it may be incorrect.

No I'm using the main central reposiitory not a mirror or an internal
repoistory.

>  To force it, use the version number on the command line.  Something like:
>
>  mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:2.0-alpha-2:create ...

I ran it with the -U switch, i.e. mvn -U archtype:generate and it
updated to the latest plugin.

Thanks for your help.
Andy

Posted by Raphaël Piéroni <ra...@gmail.com>.
2008/2/28, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Andrew Birchall
>  <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  >  I wish to use the latest archetype plugin, 2.0-alpha-2 (I think that's
>  >  the latest, although one's never quite sure in the mysterious world of
>  >  Maven!)
>

> Are you following the announcements mailing list?  The plugins page
>  also has versions listed:  http://maven.apache.org/plugins/index.html
>
>  What could we do better?  [Archetype is perhaps not our best example
>  right now, the documentation does not exactly match the release.]

It is better now that the documentation for 2.0-alpha-3-snapshot has
been uploaded.

Raphaël

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.