Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1999/09/11 23:49:38 UTC

Re: Arrrrg!

>Right, so this totally painless move to a new repository has, in the
>last 24 hours, required me to rewrite emacs-style from scratch and has
>(partially) vapourised the -D option without any history of why.

No it hasn't.  There were no significant differences between the
two repositories.  emacs-style was moved to src/docs.

Ben, why don't you read the project mail first?  If there is something
wrong with your repository, you didn't check out a new version, or the
checkout failed for some local reason.  Otherwise, you must be complaining
about a change made before the repository was moved.

>Who's going to bring it back, and where did the history go?

It is in /home/fielding/moot, and no I am not going to bring it back
at this point.

....Roy

Re: Arrrrg!

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
"Roy T. Fielding" wrote:

> >Right, so this totally painless move to a new repository has, in the
> >last 24 hours, required me to rewrite emacs-style from scratch and has
> >(partially) vapourised the -D option without any history of why.
>
> No it hasn't.  There were no significant differences between the
> two repositories.  emacs-style was moved to src/docs.
>
> Ben, why don't you read the project mail first?  If there is something
> wrong with your repository, you didn't check out a new version, or the
> checkout failed for some local reason.  Otherwise, you must be complaining
> about a change made before the repository was moved.

Because I'm not supposed to have to read email to work out what happens
to a CVS repository. I also just got back from holidays and read near on
6,000 emails in 1 day. One or two may have slipped my mind :-)

But the real problem is that emacs-style was not where it used to be,
and CVS no longer knew about it _at all_ (as far as I could see), so I
couldn't check the history to find out where it had moved to.

As for -D, you are right. It was partially vapourised by some other
idiot. I've fixed that now. (If anyone cares, what you do these days is
set environment variables in the old school way).

> >Who's going to bring it back, and where did the history go?
>
> It is in /home/fielding/moot, and no I am not going to bring it back
> at this point.

That's not what I meant, actually, I meant -D, but like I say, that was
even older than I thought. Its history was also mangled (i.e.
nonexistent) in the new repository, though, which doesn't help.

I thought the whole point of this move was to make the history more
useful?

Though now you mention it, being able to look at the old 2.0 history
might have helped. So, why aren't you bringing it back?

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html