Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2014/10/23 08:20:31 UTC

Re: Apache Extras PoC

On 01/10/2014 David Nalley wrote:
> Roberto and others from Sourceforge have set up a proof of concept for
> the SF-based replacement for Apache Extras. You can take a look below.
> Comments/Input welcome.
> https://sourceforge.net/directory/vertical:Apache-Extras/

This was sent to the dev@community list, but seeing the very limited
feedback I'm CCing the dev@openoffice.apache.org list too.

I can say I managed to build OpenOffice trunk by replacing (and I'm not
suggesting that anyone commits this, it is just a proof of concept!)
-OOO_EXTRAS=http://ooo-extras.apache-extras.org.codespot.com/files/
+OOO_EXTRAS=http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/
and
-    URL2 = $(OOO_EXTRAS)$(MD5)-$(name)
+    URL2 = $(OOO_EXTRAS)$(MD5)-$(name)/download
in external_deps.lst after deleting all third-party packages. So the
archive seems complete and working.

Honestly, with the very long filenames we use,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/?source=directory
is hardly readable, and this should definitely be improved is possible.

For the rest, does anybody know the status of the OpenOffice section in
Apache Extras?
https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/ooo-extras/downloads/list
Didn't anybody complain so far simply because we haven't tried to upload
new auxiliary libraries there after December 2013? Or someone tried and
was hit by the new policy of Google Code as applied to Apache Extras? If
we are to change, it would be good to know in what way the current
solution is broken. My reading was that new uploads were forbidden, and
indeed if I login at the above URL I don't see an "Upload file"
function, but I used it only once in the past, so I'm not sure I'm
looking at the right places.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>        Is the intention to not make these particularly visible and have
>     the SF locations just provide a kind of private parking lot for the
>     AOO project?

The way we have used Apache Extras so far, indeed, is as a mere file
repository (which is exactly the usage Google forbids now, if I
understand correctly). All we use there is this directory:
https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/ooo-extras/downloads/list
that is just a collection of tarballs that can be downloaded (depending
on configuration options) at build time.

So we don't really need something descriptive or nice, but the ability
to see the full filenames, dates, and the very basic information shown
at the Google page would help.

Regards,
   Andrea.

RE: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
<orcnote>s inline

> Roberto and others from Sourceforge have set up a proof of concept for
> the SF-based replacement for Apache Extras. You can take a look below.
> Comments/Input welcome.
> https://sourceforge.net/directory/vertical:Apache-Extras/

<orcnote>
  That page is so ugly, not even its mother could love it?
  That the links to extras are buried in two tiny boxes in
  a sea of advertisements is just awful.  There needs to
  be more about what this page is a portal too and what the
  extras are.
</orcnote>

This was sent to the dev@community list, but seeing the very limited
feedback I'm CCing the dev@openoffice.apache.org list too.

I can say I managed to build OpenOffice trunk by replacing (and I'm not
suggesting that anyone commits this, it is just a proof of concept!)
-OOO_EXTRAS=http://ooo-extras.apache-extras.org.codespot.com/files/
+OOO_EXTRAS=http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/
and
-    URL2 = $(OOO_EXTRAS)$(MD5)-$(name)
+    URL2 = $(OOO_EXTRAS)$(MD5)-$(name)/download
in external_deps.lst after deleting all third-party packages. So the
archive seems complete and working.

Honestly, with the very long filenames we use,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/?source=directory
is hardly readable, and this should definitely be improved is possible.

<orcnote>
   Agreed. Although one can see the full name on mouse-over of the file
   entry, even then these are entirely mystery-meat.
      These need to be curated somehow with descriptive information.
      Perhaps the purpose of these and how they tie into the AOO build
   needs to be explained.  Also, how they may be replaced with later
   ones and what happens with older ones might be useful to know, even
   for AOO devs.

Re: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by Roger and Beth Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.
Apache Pivot is another project that is using Apache Extras and are
concerned about the policy change.  I'm actually working on updates to
the stuff we have there that may be in jeopardy (i.e., cannot push out
my updates) until another solution is found....

Thanks,
~Roger Whitcomb

Re: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 11/14/2014 02:05 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Kay Schenk wrote:
>> Two questions --
>> Are we ready to go ahead with these changes to /main/external_deps.lst --
>
> No we aren't! Roberto sent us a proof of concept, but he wrote that even
> the URL will change, so it is definitely not OK to change the location
> for Extras from Google Code to SourceForge yet.
>
> On the other hand, I just tried to create a new download at
> https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/ooo-extras/downloads/list
> (i.e., I tried to add the updated fonts package recently discussed on
> the OpenOffice dev list) and I confirm I can't add it. So the current
> service at Google Code cannot be used any longer to add new packages,
> which means that an alternative must be found (this has been known for
> months, but now this is really preventing us from getting things done).
>
>> and since this is mirroring, I'm assuming we still put changes in our
>> local  svn tree and SF will grab them from there. Correct?
>
> The (remote or local) SVN tree has nothing to do with this. OpenOffice
> Extras is a section of Apache Extras which in turn is part of Google
> Code, and files to be mirrored are those at the link above.

OK. Given Roberto's comments from this thread --

"When we mirrored that apparently someone was using oooextras. Now it's free
to use, so we can easily replace
http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/?source=directory
with
http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras

Also our engineering team is finalizing few changes, hope to be able to
share a brand new Apache Extras landing page very soon.

Roberto"

and I saw that --

http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/?source=directory

this contained our "extras" (a mirror of it), I thought we might be
ready. But I do see that the newly proposed name --

http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras

is not ready.

I don't know what the other projects are using Apache Extras for or how
they have things setup -- real repository or mirror. It does seem that
perhaps AOO only needs a mirror, and not an actual repository.

> Apache Extras in itself is foundation-wide, but only a few projects so
> far have expressed concerns about the policy change that is making it
> useless for OpenOffice in future.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

MzK

"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth
 to a dancing star."
                                 -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On 29/10/2014 Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>
>> Here we go, the new look&feel based on some of your earlier feedback:
>> http://sourceforge.net/directory/apache_extras
>>

> This is much improved, thanks Roberto! The landing page is now much
> cleaner.
>
> Some of the comments on the inner pages still apply, but maybe if it would
> be possible to remove the "Code" tab from the individual projects?
>
> Or, on the contrary, using the "Code" function instead of the "File"
> function for the file repository? (Here we should really check what other
> projects do; for OpenOffice, Extras is just a file repository). It seems
> that a look and feel like
> http://sourceforge.net/mirror/oooextras/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/
> could be better for our case than something like
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/
> (which assumes, more or less, that those "files" are actually releases;
> but they aren't and this has a number of unintended consequences).
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Two questions --

Are we ready to go ahead with these changes to /main/external_deps.lst --

-- Andrea's earlier post --
 I can say I managed to build OpenOffice trunk by replacing (and I'm not
suggesting that anyone commits this, it is just a proof of concept!)

-OOO_EXTRAS=http://ooo-extras.apache-extras.org.codespot.com/files/
+OOO_EXTRAS=http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/
<http://ooo-extras.apache-extras.org.codespot.com/files/+OOO_EXTRAS=http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/>

and
-    URL2 = $(OOO_EXTRAS)$(MD5)-$(name)
+    URL2 = $(OOO_EXTRAS)$(MD5)-$(name)/download
in external_deps.lst after deleting all third-party packages. So the
archive seems complete and working.

-- end Andrea --

Re: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

>> On 01/10/2014 David Nalley wrote:
>>
>>> Roberto and others from Sourceforge have set up a proof of concept for
>>> the SF-based replacement for Apache Extras. You can take a look below.
>>> Comments/Input welcome.
>>> https://sourceforge.net/directory/vertical:Apache-Extras/
>>>

>> This was sent to the dev@community list, but seeing the very limited
>> feedback I'm CCing the dev@openoffice.apache.org list too.
>>
>> I can say I managed to build OpenOffice trunk by replacing (and I'm not
>> suggesting that anyone commits this, it is just a proof of concept!)
>> -OOO_EXTRAS=http://ooo-extras.apache-extras.org.codespot.com/files/
>> +OOO_EXTRAS=http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/
>> and
>> -    URL2 = $(OOO_EXTRAS)$(MD5)-$(name)
>> +    URL2 = $(OOO_EXTRAS)$(MD5)-$(name)/download
>> in external_deps.lst after deleting all third-party packages. So the
>> archive seems complete and working.
>>
>> Honestly, with the very long filenames we use,
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/?source=directory
>> is hardly readable, and this should definitely be improved is possible.
>>

> When we mirrored that apparently someone was using oooextras. Now it's
> free to use, so we can easily replace
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/?source=directory
> with
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras
>
> Also our engineering team is finalizing few changes, hope to be able to
> share a brand new Apache Extras landing page very soon.

Here we go, the new look&feel based on some of your earlier feedback:

http://sourceforge.net/directory/apache_extras

Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

Roberto

Re: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>      I think the observation about long file names has to do with
>      these, e.g.,
>      d6eef4b4cacb2183f2bf265a5a03a354-boost_1_55_0.tar.bz2
>      which make the page unreadable because the CSS forces the Name
>      column to be too narrow to see the full names.

Indeed. I appreciate the effort to shorten the SF project name, but the
main issue is with the long filenames. It is not so much the URL, but
the content of
http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/?source=directory
that is mostly unreadable at the moment. Compare to the (more basic, but
more readable in our case) layout of
https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/ooo-extras/downloads/list

> So long as these are meant to be fetched by scripts running
> in builds, this is the way it is going to be.

Exactly. We use the MD5 hash as part of the name to verify the integrity
of the downloaded package.

Regards,
   Andrea.

RE: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
<orcnote> below
> Honestly, with the very long filenames we use,
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/?source=directory
> is hardly readable, and this should definitely be improved is possible.

When we mirrored that apparently someone was using oooextras. Now it's free
to use, so we can easily replace
http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/?source=directory
with
http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras

<orcnote>
    I think the observation about long file names has to do with
    these, e.g.,

    d6eef4b4cacb2183f2bf265a5a03a354-boost_1_55_0.tar.bz2

    which make the page unreadable because the CSS forces the Name
    column to be too narrow to see the full names.  (The mouse-over
    provides them, and so does the information pop-down,
    but that is no help in scanning the list.)

    Also, the "Looking for the latest version?" message makes no
    Sense on the OOO Extras page.

    The names are not something SourceForge can do anything about.
    So long as these are meant to be fetched by scripts running
    in builds, this is the way it is going to be.  Those are the
    names used in the matching and fetching of ex.

    [I can appreciate why these are unacceptable usage of the
    Google Code and GitHub project services.  These are not
    development projects, just storage for build-used bundles
    for external dependencies.  It also means serving ads is
    not accomplishing much here.  Removing the sidebar for ads
    would also allow the name column to be wider.

    These don't seem to be "Extras" the way that was originally
    conceived, but the name is probably unimportant here.]
</orcnote>

[ ... ]

Re: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 23/10/2014 Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo wrote:
> That's because dev@community is a Apache Software Foundation-wide
> mailing list, not an OpenOffice.org-specific one.

And David did the right thing by e-mailing the dev@community list:
Apache Extras is foundation-wide (not OpenOffice-specific) and its
problems affect many projects across the Foundation.

>> I'm CCing the dev@openoffice.apache.org list too.
> This is the correct mailing list for you to post messages about OO.o. ;)

It is also the correct list to forward messages of generic interest,
like David's, that would benefit from input from the Apache OpenOffice
project (if you mean "Apache OpenOffice" with "OO.o").

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Apache Extras PoC

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.