Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net> on 2010/01/08 05:36:03 UTC

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Jan 8, 9 am PDT

Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, January 8 at 9 am PDT to
discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
Domestic (toll-free):  866 230-6968
International (caller-paid):  +1 213 787-0528
Access code :  294-0479#

Agenda:

1. Query timeout in JDO / Update timeout
2. Other issues

Action Items from weeks past:

-- Michelle

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Jan 8, 9 am PDT

Posted by mc...@sonic.net.
Sorry I missed the meeting. I got stuck in a long meeting at work.

-- Michelle

Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Jan 8, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
I'm running a bit late.

Can we start at 9:15 today?

Thanks,

Craig

Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Mar 26, 9 am PDT

Posted by Matthew Adams <ma...@matthewadams.me>.
Once again, I won't be able to make this call.  Perhaps, however, you
could add a discussion of JDO-651 to the agenda.  I'm thinking that it
would be a JDO 2.4 thing at the earliest.

-matthew

--
mailto:matthew@matthewadams.me
skype:matthewadams12

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Mar 19, 11 am PDT

Posted by Awais Bajwa <aw...@gmail.com>.
I fully support the idea of David - it is needed.

Craig : you might be the best person to publish that article. I would be
happy to work with you on this.

Thanks
Awais Bajwa

--
Awais Bajwa
+1-862-222-6680

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Mar 19, 11 am PDT

Posted by David Jordan <da...@bellsouth.net>.

NO! JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Jan 29, 9 am PDT

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

Reminder: There is no conference call tomorrow.

The next meeting will be Friday, February 12 at 9 am PDT to discuss JDO
TCK issues and status.

-- Michelle

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Jan 29, 9 am PDT

Posted by Andy Jefferson <su...@datanucleus.com>.
> 2a. Latest DataNucleus seems to have a problem...

Actually the problem is in Derby in its inability to return a list of
indexes from a schema beyond a certain size. This was raised on Derby back
in about 2006. The issue arose its head again by enabling some additional
functionality, prior to having the time to add the PMF prop to enable it.
That was in DN SVN about 20 hours ago, so in next nightly build.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Jan 29, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
NOTE: There will be no meeting next week Friday 5-Feb-2010.

Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Query cancel and timeout support: Review patch. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-623

The patch looks good. Works with Wednesday's DataNucleus build. OK to
check in.

2. Other issues

2a. Latest DataNucleus seems to have a problem...
     [java] RUN Jdoconfig.testGetPMFNamedSpacesOverrides
     [java] RUN Persistence.testGetPMFfromNamedPU <== hangs

This test seems to be in a loop running at 100% CPU. Michelle reports
that on Linux JDK 1.5 the test takes half an hour; Craig on MacOSX JDK
1.5 hasn't waited that long; Michael on Windows JDK 1.6 also seems hung.

This is with the latest (Friday AM PST) drop of DataNucleus. [1]

2b. Final JIRA issues before release:

JDO-557 Michelle will do this one
JDO-615 Craig will do this one
JDO-623 Michael will do this one
JDO-616 Michelle will do this one

2c.
The strategy for updating the specification is to copy the changes
since the May 18 version into a text file and update it for review by
the expert group before applying it to the pdf.

[1] 18:12:28,437 (main) INFO  [DataNucleus.JDO] - Exception thrown
org.datanucleus.exceptions.NucleusUserException: There is no available
StoreManager of type "". Please make sure you have specified
"datanucleus.storeManagerType" correctly and that all relevant plugins
are in the CLASSPATH

Re: Running JDO TCK on Eclipse

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Ilan,

The 2.2 TCK (still) uses maven 1. I found a plugin for Netbeans to
support projects with maven 1 format but haven't found one for Eclipse.

So I use Eclipse (or Netbeans) as an editor and use the command line
to actually execute the tests.

So I don't know how to help you without rewriting the tck  in maven 2,
which is on the list but not being implemented due to a lack of
volunteers.

Best regards,

Craig

On Mar 8, 2010, at 3:42 AM, Ilan Kirsh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for instructions on how to run the JDO TCK 2.2 on
> Eclipse.
> Particularly I am having difficulties in running the
> org.apache.jdo.tck.mapping tests (because unlike most other tests
> they do not run without the conf files).
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Ilan Kirsh

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Running JDO TCK on Eclipse

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Mar 5, 9 am PST

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

NOTE: With the acquisition of Sun by Oracle, the conference call
numbers that we use for conference calls will change. Please watch for
the change.

Agenda:

1. Other issues

The spec update is underway. I expect to have sections to review by
next week.

We will look at the metadata tests to read some of the .jdo metadata
files using an xml parser and compare the contents with the metadata
that is available from the metadata api. AI Craig update the JIRA

Michelle will try to have some code to review next week for the
getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map, Map) test.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Apr 8, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557

2. Query.executeWithMap(...) should accept unused parameters

This functionality is already in DataNucleus as an option. Propose
deferring this to 2.4. The biggest issue is whether to allow the
strict behavior as an option and if so, what the default should be. AI
discuss on email.

3. Query cancel and timeout support https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-623

The datastore timeout tests use a timeout of less than one second,
which might not be possible to achieve with current generation JDBC
drivers. Perhaps a longer timeout should be used for the tests. AI
Michael look at the tests.

4. Spec updates

The spec has been published on http://people.apache.org/~clr/jdo-2010-04-09.pdf
  AI everyone review in preparation for a vote next week.

5. Other issues

Tests for JDO-615 Metadata have been checked in.

Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Apr 23, 9 am PDT

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@datanucleus.org>.
> 2. Spec updates - ready for a vote?

I think so. Have read the latest spec and don't see any problems.

--
Andy
DataNucleus (http://www.datanucleus.org)

Re: Query test failure with newer derby version (was Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Jan 7, 9 am Pacific Time)

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi,

this is the JDOQL query:
   SELECT FROM org.apache.jdo.tck.pc.mylib.PCPoint EXCLUDE SUBCLASSES
   WHERE (x == 2) == true
and here is the generated SQL:
   SELECT 'org.apache.jdo.tck.pc.mylib.PCPoint' AS
NUCLEUS_TYPE,A0.ID,A0.X,A0.Y
   FROM APPLICATIONIDENTITY0.PCPOINT A0
   WHERE A0.X = 2 = 1

So the question is: what does SQL define when comparing an integer and a
boolean?
The expression "A0.X = 2" evaluates to a boolean which is then compared
to the integer 1.

Regards Michael

--
*Michael Bouschen*
*Prokurist*

akquinet tech@spree GmbH
Bülowstr. 66, D-10783 Berlin

Fon:   +49 30 235 520-33
Fax:   +49 30 217 520-12
Email: michael.bouschen@akquinet.de

akquinet tech@spree GmbH, Berlin
Geschäftsführung: Martin Weber, Prof. Dr. Christian Roth
USt.-Id. Nr.: DE 225 964 680

Query test failure with newer derby version (was Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Jan 7, 9 am Pacific Time)

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi Craig,

[...]

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi,

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Dec 17, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
PLEASE NOTE: JDO will be on winter break for the next two weeks. Next
meeting: January 7, 2011

Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647.

Mostly done but not completely working. Need to update the version
numbers in the pom to be identical to those used in maven 1. Some
tests cannot find the test data resource. The test data reader is
calling the constructor for the spring xmlbeans reader which cannot
find the file. Class path issue?

2. Avg return type - patch available for review https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-643

This proposes that integral types and floating point types all return
double for average. Is there a good reason for JDO to be different
from JPA? AI Craig: update JIRA with comment

3. Extend PersistenceManageFactory to return all known entity classes -
new comments https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-667

4. Other issues

Take a look at http://www.datanucleus.org/servlet/forum/viewthread_thread,6467
  for an interesting idea.

Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Dec 17, 9 am Pacific Time

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Dec 3, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Matthew Adams, Michael Bouschen, Craig
Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

Good progress. No hang any longer. Getting the schema loaded. But not
quite working yet. Some tables are not created. Signature test
complains.

2. Other issues

There's a project called naked objects which is now incubating as
Apache Isis. How about a JDO store for the objects?
Check it out: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ISIS-14

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Oct 22, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Matthew Adams, Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig
Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade -  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647.
The classpath problem was resolved as a missing JDO_Test in the
classpath. Everything that the enhancement needs must be on the
classpath, including most of the TCK due to some TCK classes needing
to be enhanced as persistence aware.

2. extend "sequence" metadata to allow specification of start and
allocationSize. Patch for review. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-662

Looks good. AI Craig reply with review comments. Spec update needed.

3. Ability to specify positioning of field 'column(s)' in datastore
"table" https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-660

Looks good. Spec update needed.

4. Other issues

JDO repository has a jdo-api2 directory that is empty. Looks like a
booboo. Gone.

Other projects like Objectify and Gora are intended to be JDO-lite
implementations. Some comments from these other projects are that JDO
"is complex". It would be worthwhile to take a look at these projects
to see if an official JDO-lite would make sense. We already have a
JIRA in place to track no-sql datastores.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-663 Michael will refactor
some of the tck tests to avoid duplication. Spec update also required.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday,Oct 15, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade -  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647
Questions about enhancing and creating jar files. The enhancer isn't
finding classes that have been put into the enhancer's class loader.
Possibly need to have a parent class loader for the enhancer class
loader. And it might be better to avoid the jar file but simply use
directories for  class path entries.

2. JDO Querying reference.  AI everyone please see http://www.datanucleus.org/jdoql_quickref.pdf
  and comment.

Action Items from weeks past:

[17 Sep 10] AI everyone review the other open issues and suggest
resolutions for them.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Jan 14, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647.
Changes for parameterizing the version numbers are now checked in. Two
issues remain:

Exception from new Derby version: is the generated SQL correct?
Perhaps not. "Comparisons between 'BOOLEAN' and 'INTEGER' are not
supported." AI Michael: file a JIRA to resolve whether this is a
DataNucleus or Derby issue.

Upgrade to later DataNucleus version: using 2.1.1 now; need 2.2.2-
SNAPSHOT for "average" change. AI Michelle: change the dependency for
the project.

Next: see how to run the tck using an IUT (using profiles).

Also: how can we use the Apache maven release staging repository for
releases? The idea is that the jdo-api could be defined as a maven
dependency and automatically downloaded from the central repository
but the jdo-tck needed to be installed as source. With the tck now
defined as a maven2 project, should it also be usable as a dependency?
Probably no change to the current practice, since the tck is intended
to be executed by itself with no user code involved.

2. Other issues

Action items from past meetings: Craig check into using the Apache
parent pom

Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, May 20, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Michelle,

Sorry, I assumed that you were going to look at the spec and make a
judgement whether the failures were spec violations.

What's your opinion?

Craig

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557

Two steps forward, one back, one to the left, one to the right. Still
in progress.

2. Extra checks in PMF.close tests https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-653
: Are the observed failures violations of the spec? (11.4 Close the
PersistenceManagerFactory)

Michelle will verify these changes.

3. Other issues

The notice was sent to the PMO of JCP to start the Maintenance Review
of the Minor Revision. If there are no issues, the review will close
in 30 days, by which time we should have voted on the release artifacts.

There are changes needed in the api schema definitions for the xml
metadata files. Michael will make the updates, which will affect the
RI until corresponding changes are made.

Action Items from weeks past:

[May 7 10] AI Craig Notify JCP of recent changes to the spec. Done.

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, May 28, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
NOTE: We are skipping a phone conference next Friday; status updates
by email please.

Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557
  making some progress; still not completely working.

2. Comments on spec: There were some comments on typos in the draft
spec, which apply to a different version of the specification. The
latest specification is correct.

3. Other issues

The process for publishing a new maintenance release is underway.
There are some details like export controls that I'm working through
with the PMO folks.

Michael has proposed changes to the run rules and other tck
documentation. Patch from 24-May should be applied.

Michael will propose changes to the maven build scripts at the top
level, now that we have fewer dependencies for the tck project.

Once the maintenance revision has been approved by the JCP we will
need to update the main JDO page to reflect current status.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, June 18, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map) - patch
available for review. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557
Reviewed with a couple of comments; ok to check in.

2. Status of 3.0 release. Michelle has finished final formatting of
the specification; Craig will check it over and send to JCP. The
IssuesLog which is part of the new JSR maintenance process was created
in the wiki.

Michael has a task to update the maven top level for 3.0.

3. Review JIRAs

JDO-519 is done with 3.0. AI Craig close this JIRA
JDO-615 is done. AI Craig close this JIRA
JDO-616 AI Craig look at this when reviewing the final book.

4. Other issues

JDO-580 looks like a bug in the disabled tests. Will be taken up for
3.1.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, June 25, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Status of 3.0 release.

Craig is building the 3.0 release. We will hold a vote to release the
api and tck once the release is built.

Craig has submitted the spec to the JCP and is waiting for the project
office.

2. Provision of a statically-typed refactor-friendly query capability
for JDOQL https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652

Join the discussion on the JIRA! We just need to be mindful that this
is a pretty big project.

3. Other issues

Moving parts of trunk to legacy. Discuss on mailing list. Probably
should use a different term from legacy, since that term is already in
use for JDK 1.4. Maybe archive or archive-trunk. Once we do this, we
can adapt the maven.xml to remove the references to the old stuff.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, July 2, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
For the record, I found this in my out-box...

Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Restructure JDO repository. Seems like the only issue is the name.
It could be called jdo/trunk-archive or jdo/branches/archive-3.0 or
something like this so we know that it's in the 3.0 time frame.

After the restructuring we will then change the version number in
trunk to 3.1-SNAPSHOT.

2. JDO 3.0 staging release at http://people.apache.org/~clr/dist

Feedback from Andy: the pom.xml has the wrong version number. Thanks!

Michael points out that contrary to Craig's message, we do distribute
the tck sources, just not via the maven repo.

Does anyone know how to make it easy to "attach sources" to an IDE? Is
the current planned distribution via mirrors ok for this purpose? That
is, if a user wants to look at the sources for a Maven dependency, is
there a trivial way to "attach sources" within the IDE dialog if the
user has not already downloaded the sources?

3. Other issues

none.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, July 9, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Vote on JDO 3.0 release. So far, so good. No neutral or negative
votes. JIRA issues JDO-615 and JDO-619 are now resolved.

2. Provision of a ... query capability for JDOQL https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652
  Looks promising, AI everyone please read and comment on this
direction for JDOQL.

3. Other issues

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, July 16, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
NOTE: Due to holidays there will be no meeting next week. The next
conference call is scheduled for July 30.

Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Next steps for JDO 3.0 release. The Apache DB PMC approved the
release of the API and TCK artifacts. AI Craig publish the API and TCK
artifacts on the Apache JDO web page.

The JCP EC is currently reviewing the maintenance release. You can
follow the discussion on the JCP release approval at http://wiki.jcp.org/boards/index.php?b=jsr-243-public
  (linked from http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/maintenance/jsr243/index4.html
  )

2. Missing DTD/XSD from SUN/Oracle website. The goal is to have the
2.0, 2.1, 2.2 and 3.0 xsd and dtd artifacts published and downloadable
from the site. AI Craig follow up with Oracle.

3. Fetch configuration. Looks like a good candidate for the next
release. Continue discussion via JIRA and email. AI Andy file a JIRA
(please).

4. Other issues.

Let's see if we can make a quicker spin for JDO 3.1. AI everyone look
at the JIRA for 3.1 and "unscheduled" and discuss which issues should
be in 3.1

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, July 30, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Craig L Russell

Agenda:

The review period for JDO 3.0 in the JCP has ended. Waiting for
official confirmation from JCP admin.

1. JDO 3.0 artifacts. The artifacts have been uploaded but don't yet
have pointers from the jdo web site. AI Craig update the download page.

2. Missing DTD/XSD from SUN/Oracle website. Now that JDO 3.0 is out,
Craig will get both the missing artifacts and the new artifacts
uploaded.

3. JDO 3.next Nothing new this week.

4. Other issues

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-664 the upload of JDO 3.0
artifacts resulted in the replacement of the jdo2-api metadata.xml
with the new jdo-api metadata. This should not have happened since
there are now two artifact-ids: jdo2-api and jdo-api. AI: Craig follow
up with the Apache repository folks.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Aug 13, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647 the
new pom.xml for api and tck projects have been posted for review.

2. Other issues

Action Items from weeks past:

[6 Aug 10] AI Craig follow up on missing DTD/XSD in process

[6 Aug 10] AI Craig update the download page with JDO 3 artifacts done

[6 Aug 10] AI Craig talk to Apache PR re publicity for 3.0 release
nothing yet

[6 Aug 10] AI Michael reply to a poster that we have a new release
with a class missing from JDO 2.3 EA

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday,Oct 8, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647
Making progress. Stuck on classpath issue. Maybe resolved; need to
construct a class loader that contains the classes to enhance and the
metadata loadable as resources.

2. Ability to specify positioning of field 'column(s)' in datastore
"table" - patch being reviewed.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-660
The 3.1 xsd and dtd files have been created. The patch adding the
position can now be reviewed. Outstanding question about superclasses
and how to reorder columns in subclasses.

3. List.get(int) support in JDOQL is missing - patch being reviewed.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-633
Looks good. AI Michael review and respond to questions in jira.

4. Other issues

Action Items from weeks past:
[17 Sep 10] AI everyone review the other open issues and suggest
resolutions
[6 Aug 10] AI Craig follow up on missing DTD/XSD
Resolved. All resources are now available on the web.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Feb 25, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Typesafe ... query capability for JDOQL - ready for check-in?. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652

We need more people than have looked at this to take a closer look.
Volunteers? Michael, Craig. In particular, look at the TCK tests where
we run the queries twice: once with String-based and one with the API.
Adding a third option for the typesafe query would expose differences,
mismatches.

http://www.datanucleus.org/products/accessplatform/jdo/jdoql_typesafe.html
http://datanucleus.blogspot.com/2010/11/jdo-typesafe-vs-jpa-criteria.html

2. Inheritance strategy that results in a table per class - patch
provided. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-674

The patch looks good. Ok to check in.

3. Other issues

Dependency on JPA: The JIRA 675 to change tck pom dependency from
Geronimo to Eclipse. Won't fix. There's no need.

Maven2 upgrade: Once we have it all working, we will remove the maven1
support completely.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Mar 11, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Reminder: Next week the US will be on Daylight Savings Time.

Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Michelle Caisse, Matthew Adams, Craig
Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven 2 upgrade - using setting.xml or profiles.xml for iut profile https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

Try using a property like <tck.iut.classpath> in the exectck to set up
the class path.

2. Typesafe ... query capability for JDOQL. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652

A few method and class name issues that we should discuss and resolve.
Quickly, please.

3. Ability to mark a class as read-only - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-677

Probably doing the check on flush is better.

4. query improvements: downcasting

There don't seem to be any issues here. Just need spec update and TCK
test.

5. Other issues

Action Items from weeks past:

[Feb 25 2011] AI Michael, Craig, other volunteers: Look at

Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Nov12, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Matthew Adams, Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig
Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade - patch posted with enhance goal.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

We can put the version numbers into the parent pom. Starting with
dependencies but we can also put the version number of the components
into the parent pom.

The runtck goal is mostly running. Cannot create a connection with the
underlying database.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Jan 21, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

Dependencies have been changed to conform to the maven
DependencyManagement pattern.
Tck dependencies have been updated to the latest DataNucleus version
2.2.2. The dependency should actually be on the exectck project not
the tck project.
To run the tck with an IUT, users will have to edit the pom and
profiles to add their dependent jar files.
The "run-once" tests run twice. Is this ok? Yes.

2. Inheritance strategy http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-jdo-dev/201101.mbox/browser

Surprising to hear that JPA has a mapping feature that JDO doesn't.
Maybe there is a misunderstanding. AI everyone: Is this scenario
really not supported by JDO?

3. Test case failure: SQLException in
ParenthesesMarkOperatorPrecedence https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-672

No progress.

4. Other issues

Dependencies on JPA: the api needs JPA 3.0 and the tck needs JPA 2.0

The issue is with the getProperties() method in
JDOEntityManagerFactory which extends both EntityManagerFactory and
PersistenceManagerFactory. In JDO PersistenceManagerFactory the method
returns Properties and in JPA EntityManagerFactory returns Map<String,
Object>.

Possible solutions: change JDO PersistenceManagerFactory to return
Map<String, Object> or remove the JDOEntityManagerFactory and
JDOEntityManger interfaces. Are these being used by anyone?

AI Michael file a JIRA.

Action Items from weeks past:

[Jan 14 2011] Craig check into using the Apache parent pom. No progress.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Feb 4, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Matthew Adams, Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig
Russell

Agenda:

1.Maven2 upgrade. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

There is now a profile to run the tck. To run the tck, run mvn
integration-test. Need to add sub-modules to the parent pom. Upgrade
pom to the latest Derby 10.7.1.1.

It would be good to be able to run the tck on an IUT simply by adding
a profile to the user's settings.xml and not require any changes to
the distributed api, tck, or exectck.

2. Inheritance strategy that results in a table per class... https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-674

Seems like proposal 1 doesn't limit what we can do in the future, and
it's a good proposal. AI Craig update the JIRA.

3. Change JPA API dependency to org.eclipse.persistence https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-675

There is no official javax.persistence. There is no
org.eclipse.persistence for maven 1. Propose postponing this change
until we leave maven 1. AI Michael update the JIRA.

4. Using Apache parent POM http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html
, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MPOM

We can start by just adding the Apache parent pom and then the rest
can be added as we work to publish a release.

5. Other issues

Multi-tenancy (cloud) may be a good feature to consider for a future
release. May be similar to openjpa slices?

Use cases as an extension to fetch plan may be a good feature to
consider for a future release. AI Matthew write up a JIRA.

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Mar 4, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@datanucleus.org>.
> 2. Typesafe ... query capability for JDOQL - ready for check-in?.
>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652
> Some questions: the factory for query instances: should it be PM or
> PMF? Hint: do you really need to have the PM available in order to
> build a query? The PM represents your current connection to the
> database; the PMF represents the object model and mapping.

To build a query you don't need the PM (but then to create a javax.jdo.Query
object you don't really need a PM either :-P). To execute a
(Query/)TypesafeQuery/TypedQuery you need a PM, and if you put constructor on
the PMF then you have to pass the PM into the executeXXX methods.

> Is there a bug in the blog?

Yes there was, fixed thx.

> JDO-678 Set properties on PersistenceManager
> Seems like a good idea. Patch?

Will do.

Regards

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-profiles.html:

>     Profiles specified in external files (i.e in settings.xml or
>     profiles.xml) are not portable in the strictest sense. Anything
>     that seems to stand a high chance of changing the result of the
>     build is restricted to the inline profiles in the POM. Things like
>     repository lists could simply be a proprietary repository of
>     approved artifacts, and won't change the outcome of the build.
>     Therefore, you will only be able to modify the <repositories> and
>     <pluginRepositories> sections, plus an extra <properties> section.
>
>     The <properties> section allows you to specify free-form key-value
>     pairs which will be included in the interpolation process for the
>     POM. This allows you to specify a plugin configuration in the form
>     of ${profile.provided.path}.

I don't understand what they are suggesting be done with a
${profile.provided.path} property.

-- Michelle

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Mar 4, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

2. Typesafe ... query capability for JDOQL - ready for check-in?. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652

Some questions: the factory for query instances: should it be PM or
PMF? Hint: do you really need to have the PM available in order to
build a query? The PM represents your current connection to the
database; the PMF represents the object model and mapping.

Also, the name sounds too "inside". Matthew made a similar comment.
I'd like to look at the name: "TypesafeQuery".

Is there a bug in the blog?
List<Object[]> results =
em.createQuery(criteria).getSingleResult(); // should return Object[]?
List<Integer> result =
tq.filter(cand.name.eq("MP3
Extra")).executeResultUnique(Integer.class, cand.value.max()); //
should return Integer?
Method name for returning projection might not be obvious.

Started looking at it in detail with an eye to including in 3.1. Not
done yet.

3. Ability to mark a class as read-only - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-677

Seems like a good idea. Anyone else have comments?

Where would an error be identified? At the time the user modifies a
persistent field? Or defer checking until flush (or commit)?

Portable behavior would probably mean defer checking.

Silently ignoring an update is probably not the right behavior.

4. Other issues

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, March 11, at 9 am Pacific Time
to discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
US Toll free: 866 682-4770
Germany Frankfurt  069222216106
Germany Toll free: 08006648515
(Other countries by request)

To place the call:
1. Call the toll free number.
2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
3. Enter the security code 1111#

Agenda:

1. Maven 2 upgrade - using setting.xml or profiles.xml for iut profile
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647
2. Typesafe ... query capability for JDOQL.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652
3. Ability to mark a class as read-only -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-677
4. query improvements: downcasting
5. Other issues

Action Items from weeks past:
[Feb 25 2011] AI Michael, Craig, other volunteers: Look at Typesafe ...

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, February 25, at 9 am Pacific
Time to discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Jan 28, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@ORACLE.COM>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1.Interface JDOEntityManagerFactory does not compile with JPA.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-673

I propose that we remove the two interfaces JDOEntityManagerFactory
and JDOEntityManager from the 3.1 release. This is a backward
compatibility issue but never worked with the published JPA 2.0
specification. Since it is impossible to instantiate a class
implementing this interface, it probably is not an issue.

Any objections to removing these two interfaces?

2. Other issues

- Is another mapping needed to cover the JPA Table-per-concrete-class?
See
http://www.datanucleus.org/products/accessplatform_3_0/jdo/orm/inheritance.html

The standard JDO mapping strategies do not cater for concrete
subclasses of concrete superclasses being mapped with both concrete
classes having all fields mapped.

AI: Andy file a JIRA. Seems like a good idea. Need to define exactly
the semantics of having a subclass of a class that is mapped as
complete-table. Can the subclass be mapped as new-table (all new
fields are mapped to the new table), subclass-table (no table is
defined, subclasses must have their fields mapped by the superclass),
superclass-table (no table is defined, all new fields are mapped in
the existing table).

- We should take a look at jsr 338 to see if there are any good ideas
that we can adopt.

- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-672 has had no response yet.

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, January 28, at 9 am Pacific
Time to discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
US Toll free: 866 682-4770
Germany Frankfurt  069222216106
Germany Toll free: 08006648515
(Other countries by request)

To place the call:
1. Call the toll free number.
2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
3. Enter the security code 1111#

Agenda:

1.Interface JDOEntityManagerFactory does not compile with JPA.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-673
2. Other issues

Action Items from weeks past:

[Jan 14 2011] Craig check into using the Apache parent pom

[Jan 21 2011] AI everyone: Is TABLE_PER_CLASS really not supported by JDO?

-- Michelle

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Jan 21, 9 am Pacific Time

NO JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Dec 24

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
JDO is on winter break. Next meeting: January 7, 2011

-- Michelle

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Dec 17, 9 am Pacific Time

Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Dec 10, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi,

Sorry I'll be in a plane during the call. Enjoy the call.

Craig

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Nov 26, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

Checked in but doesn't quite work.

a. The test hangs after starting the test in another process. The
output and error streams from the started process aren't being handled
properly by the caller. Take a look at the EnhancerTest that has a
somewhat elaborate scheme to handle the streams.

b. The schema information isn't being used by datanucleus. TCK-USER is
being used (default) instead. Take a look at path file names when
invoking the process. The path for the started process might be
different from the way maven 1 handled it due to the exectck project
being called.

2. Other issues

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-669 seems to be resolved. AI
Craig check in the patch and resolve the issue.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Nov 19, 9 am Pacific

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

Making progress but not done yet. AI Michelle check in the partial
code since it doesn't impact running the tck under maven 1.

2. Provision of a typesafe refactor-friendly query capability for
JDOQL - patch available for review. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652

AI everyone take a look at the patch and comment.

3. Other issues

TCK test issue with datastore identity and managed relationships.
Looks like a valid bug in the tck. All tests that delete an object and
then test for its inclusion in a collection need to be updated. AI
Andy file a JIRA.

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Nov 19, 9 am PDT

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Nov 5, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Reminder: next week California will have changed to Standard Time, so
if you're in another time zone please take note.

Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade - patch posted with enhance goal.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

Working through dependencies in exectck project...

2. Other issues

Action Items from weeks past:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-668 Looks like no additional
comments on this issue. If Marco agrees, it should be closed.

I agree that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-667 is
worthwhile and we should focus on the API and detailed semantics of
that issue.

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, November 5, at 9 am PDT to
discuss JDO TCK issues and status.
NOTE that this is one hour earlier than usual in locations that changed
to Standard Time last weekend!!

Dial-in numbers are:
US Toll free: 866 682-4770
Germany Frankfurt  069222216106
Germany Toll free: 08006648515
(Other countries by request)

To place the call:
1. Call the toll free number.
2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
3. Enter the security code 1111#

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade - patch posted with enhance goal.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647
2. Other issues

NOTE that next Friday, Europe will be on Standard Time and the U.S. will
still be on Daylight Savings Time.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday,Oct 29, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade - patch posted with enhance goal.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

Enhancer invocation now seems to work. Install schema is disabled;
runtck is disabled as well. Good progress!

2. Provide quick reference to JDOQL - comments? https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-666

Looks good. AI everyone please review and comment on the quick
reference.

3. Extend PersistenceManageFactory to find a Class - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-668

This is related to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-667 which
asks for a list of managed classes. There is a problem with the idea
that JDO implementation should be able to resolve a class given its
name, for exactly the reason identified by the JIRA as a problem: OSGi
might dynamically modify the classes available to the implementation.

AI Craig comment on the JIRAs.

4. Other issues

NOTE that next Friday, Europe will be on Standard Time and the U.S.
will still be on Daylight Savings Time.

Action Items from weeks past:

[28 Oct 10] AI Craig reply tohttps://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/
JDO-662  with review comments. Done.

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday,Oct 225, 9 am PDT

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, October 15, at 9 am PDT to
discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
US Toll free: 866 682-4770
Germany Frankfurt  069222216106
Germany Toll free: 08006648515
(Other countries by request)

To place the call:
1. Call the toll free number.
2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
3. Enter the security code 1111#

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade -  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647
2. JDO Querying reference.  See http://www.datanucleus.org/jdoql_quickref.pdf and comment.
4. Other issues

Action Items from weeks past:
[17 Sep 10] AI everyone review the other open issues and suggest
resolutions
[6 Aug 10] AI Craig follow up on missing DTD/XSD  (in progress)

-- Michelle

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday,Oct 8, 9 am PDT

Posted by mc...@sonic.net.
Meeting scheduled as usual this morning. Sorry about the late email.

-- Michelle

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday,Oct 1, 9 am PDT

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Sep 24, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Review patch for install schema portion of Maven2 upgrade -  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

Need a utility to copy files from one directory to another inside the
mojo. Take a look at Apache Commons FileUtils.

2. Other issues

Email regarding using j2ee and jdo for updates of an object graph.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Sep 17, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Review patch for install schema portion of Maven2 upgrade -  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

The attached file seems to work. Making progress.

Could the progress of install schema be logged instead of sending
messages to system output?

How would a user run the tck on an iut (implementation under test)?
Probably choose the implementation via a property in the pom; also
need to specify the name of the enhancer class as a property; both ri
and iut should be made dependencies in the pom so they are
automatically included in the class path of the tck executables.

2. Other issues

Possible candidates to be resolved for 3.1 (implemented or simply
closed):

JDO-64 Enhancer test cases must be adapted to JDO2
JDO-71 Improve test cases in query.operators package
JDO-594 Add @Documented to all JDO Annotations
JDO-607 Require no-args constructor for PMF implementations and add
static methods to PMF interface
JDO-632 Select new build/project tool
JDO-638 Add annotations for instance callbacks
JDO-643 avg return type
JDO-650 Support for conditional operator ? : in JDOQL
JDO-651 Modify specification to address NoSQL datastores

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Sep 170, 9 am PDT

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Sep 10, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade -  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647.
Making progress. First up: install schema goal.

2. Other issues

There are 33 JIRA issues currently unassigned to a release. AI
everyone look at the list https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10630
  and propose: close, assign to 3.1, leave for a future release.

Action Items from weeks past:

[6 Aug 10] AI Craig follow up on missing DTD/XSD. Most of the xsd and
dtd files have been published to the web. FYI it's unclear what oracle
will do about xsd name spaces; perhaps change from java.sun.com to
java.jsp.org or just jsp.org. No more information available now.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Sep 3, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade-  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647 In
progress.

2. Other issues

Mail thread on dynamic table creation. AI Craig provide a generic
response. DataNucleus has a more specific way of doing this.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Aug 27, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade-  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

Mojo will have multiple classes for different functions, e.g. enhance,
installschema, runtck. Enhance would attach to the process-classes
phase and the others to the integration-test phase.

Could use profiles to do a number of things in combination, e.g. run
the tck on derby would be the standard specified in the pom but
running the tck on mysql or oracle database could be a combination of
properties specified in a profile. The mojo would be the same for all
the profiles.

Invoking java programs from within the mojo can be as simple as
invoking the static Main method of a named class. For example, if the
installSchema goal needed to execute the program com.acme.script with
command line parameters -Dfile=xyz you would have a line of java code:
com.acme.script.Main(new String[] {"-Dfile=xyz"});

The properties that we use today to control the execution of the tck
can be processed in a similar way by the mojo, which has access to the
java system properties as well as the properties specified in the
pom.xml in the mojo definition itself as well as profile properties.

2. Other issues

Mail regarding parameterized constructors. Michael will reply.

Mail regarding generate dynamic tables. This is a feature of
implementations (e.g. DataNucleus).

Is the JDO 3.0 api jar file available via maven central?

Action Items from weeks past:

[6 Aug 10] AI Craig follow up on missing DTD/XSD. Still in progress.
Might need to escalate.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Aug 20, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Maven2 upgrade-  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647.
Making progress. Running mvn install with java 5 has a test case
failure in the api project. Works fine on java 6. The changes to the
api pom.xml in the jira look good.

The exectck mojo is under development. This maven plugin will be
defined in the tck pom.xml to attach to a maven phase and run
automatically. It will be configured by default in the tck pom.xml and
can be overridden via additional elements in the tck pom.xml or by
command line. For example, we might support -DinstallSchema to specify
running the install schema function; -Dconf=mycnf to specify running
only the configuration in the src/conf/mycnf.conf file; -Ddb=mysql to
specify running with the database connection properties in the src/
conf/mysql.db file... The defaults will be to *not* install the
schema, run all tests on the reference implementation with the derby
database. Other possible scenarios would use different goals on the
command line.

2. Other issues

Action Items from weeks past:

[6 Aug 10] AI Craig follow up on missing DTD/XSD. no news

[6 Aug 10] AI Craig update the download page with JDO 3 artifacts done.

[6 Aug 10] AI Craig talk to Apache PR re publicity for 3.0 release

It is possible to get publicity with Apache PR. What we need is
something that makes a compelling story.

The best story is from users who can be quoted saying good things
about the new functionality of the release.

Do we have any customers who are willing to be quoted? If not, do we
have customers who can tell us a story (not a direct quote) about why
the new features help them?

If not, we might not have anything worth a press release.

AI Everyone who knows of a customer who can tell us a story: tell us a
story.

[6 Aug 10] AI Michael reply to a poster that we have a new release
with a class missing from JDO 2.3 EA. no news

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Aug 6, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Michelle Caisse, Craig L Russell

Agenda:

1. Missing DTD/XSD from SUN/Oracle website. Craig to follow up.

2. Maven2 upgrade. Michelle has assigned this to herself. The api
project has already been converted to use maven 2, but the artifacts
that are generated need to be checked out. The tck project needs a
maven plugin in order to perform the tck with "run once", "run with
datastore identity", "run with application identity", "run derby",
"run mysql", "run ri", "run iut", etc. The plugin will need to be a
separate project and then the tck would depend on the plugin project.

3. Other issues

The JDO 3.0 artifacts have not yet been referenced by the download
page. AI Craig update the download page.

As an official Apache release, we can get publicity. AI Craig talk to
PR and see what we can talk about.

There was a comment that JDO 3.0 had removed a class that was
published in the JDO 2.3 early access. AI Michael reply to the
original poster that we have a new official release and suggest that
there is a substitute class available in JDO 3.0 that can be used.

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, August 6, at 9 am PDT to
discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
US Toll free: 866 682-4770
Germany Frankfurt  069222216106
Germany Toll free: 08006648515
(Other countries by request)

To place the call:
1. Call the toll free number.
2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
3. Enter the security code 1111#

Agenda:

1. Missing DTD/XSD from SUN/Oracle website
2. Maven2 upgrade
3. Other issues

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, July 30 at 9 am PDT to
discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
US Toll free: 866 682-4770
Germany Frankfurt  069222216106
Germany Toll free: 08006648515
(Other countries by request)

To place the call:
1. Call the toll free number.
2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
3. Enter the security code 1111#

Agenda:

1. JDO 3.0 artifacts.
2. Missing DTD/XSD from SUN/Oracle website
3. JDO 3.next
4. Other issues

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, July 16 at 9 am PDT to
discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
US Toll free: 866 682-4770
Germany Frankfurt  069222216106
Germany Toll free: 08006648515
(Other countries by request)

To place the call:
1. Call the toll free number.
2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
3. Enter the security code 1111#

Agenda:

1. Next steps for JDO 3.0 release.
2. Missing DTD/XSD from SUN/Oracle website
3. Fetch configuration
4. Other issues

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, June 18 at 9 am PDT to
discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
US Toll free: 866 682-4770
Germany Frankfurt  069222216106
Germany Toll free: 08006648515
(Other countries by request)

To place the call:
1. Call the toll free number.
2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
3. Enter the security code 1111#

Agenda:

1. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map) - patch
available for review. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557
2. Status of 3.0 release.
3. Review JIRAs
4. Other issues

Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, June 11, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees:  Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map) - patch
available for review. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557
The attached patch isn't quite the right patch for review. AI Michelle
upload another patch. Since this is an api test it can be checked in
without affecting the release process.

2. Other issues

Do we really need all the maven goals in the root directory? We have
api and tck as new directories but need some maven goals to execute
the new JDO 3.0 projects. And the JDO 1.1 goals no longer work because
the btree cvs checkout doesn't work. AI Craig: is there a new
repository for this code?

JCP release process: The process is changed from last time. This time
we need the final spec, RI, and TCK for review by the EC of JCP. AI
Craig work with JCP to get the final materials into the JCP.

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, May 28 at 9 am PDT to
discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
US Toll free: 866 682-4770
Germany Frankfurt  069222216106
Germany Toll free: 08006648515
(Other countries by request)

To place the call:
1. Call the toll free number.
2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
3. Enter the security code 1111#

Agenda:

1. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557
2. Comments on spec
3. Other issues

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, May 20 at 9 am PDT to
discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
US Toll free: 866 682-4770
Germany Frankfurt  069222216106
Germany Toll free: 08006648515
(Other countries by request)

To place the call:
1. Call the toll free number.
2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
3. Enter the security code 1111#

Agenda:

1. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557
2. Extra checks in PMF.close tests
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-653: Are the observed failures
violations of the spec? (11.4 Close the PersistenceManagerFactory)
3. Other issues

Action Items from weeks past:

[May 7 10] AI Craig Notify JCP of recent changes to the spec.

-- Michelle

Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, May 14, 9 am PDT

Posted by mc...@sonic.net.
Agreed. I think only Craig has the host code, anyway.

-- Michelle

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, May 7, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Extra checks in PMF.close tests https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-653
  If the patch passes the tck then I'd be open to including it in JDO
3.0. If any problems, defer to next release. AI Michelle see if if
works and if so check it in.

2. JDOHelper getObjectIds (Collection) fails with typed collection -
patch available for review. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-655
  Looks good. Check it in.

3. JDO 3.0 Vote The vote to release JDO.next was successful. The vote
to change the name to JDO 3.0 was successful. AI Craig change the sub-
projects api2 and tck2 to simply api and tck. Look at integrating
model20 and enhancer20 into the tck or removing the dependencies. Also
need to notify JCP EC of the newest changes to the spec (dynamic
metamodel, query cancel, and datastore timeouts) that are not yet in
the approved list of changes.

Other issues:

Need an assertion in PersistenceManager for datastore timeouts. Move
datastore timeouts to be 12.6.9 and assertion A12.6.9-1.

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, May 7 at 9 am PDT to
discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
US Toll free: 866 682-4770
Germany Frankfurt  069222216106
Germany Toll free: 08006648515
(Other countries by request)

To place the call:
1. Call the toll free number.
2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
3. Enter the security code 1111#

Agenda:

1. Extra checks in PMF.close tests
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-653
2. JDOHelper getObjectIds (Collection) fails with typed collection -
patch available for review. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-655
3. JDO 3.0 Vote
5. Other issues

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Apr 30, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
How about we use Skype for this call...

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi,

same with me.

Regards Michael

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Here's my status.

Vote is running on releasing what we've been calling JDO 2.3 and
renaming the release JDO 3.0. Most people who voted so far have voted
positively to both.

The artifacts still need a bit more time. I've changed
getObjectIds(Collection<Object>) to getObjectIds(Collection<?>) and
tested it and it seems to work. So this is ready to check in.

I'll start making the final updates to the spec with the above change
and renaming the release to 3.0 and changing the date. Next week we
should have the conference call numbers organized and the vote on the
specification complete. Then we can have the artifact vote for the api
and tck projects.

Nothing else from me.

Craig

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi,

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Apr 23, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557

Making progress. Found an issue with how the test url class loader is
being set up.

2. Spec updates - ready for a vote?

No objections have been raised to voting on the specification. One
comment was that we should call this JDO 3.0 in light of the major
features: new Metadata API and new Enhancer API that allow tools to
create dynamic classes and then in a standard way specify the metadata
and enhance the classes at runtime.

AI Craig discuss the release number and call for a vote.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Apr 16, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
For the record, found this in my out-box...

Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557

Some progress but still doesn't work. JDOHelper cannot load the test

2. Provision of a statically-typed refactor-friendly query capability
for JDOQL https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652

Sounds good. Volunteers to drive this forward?

3. Spec updates are done and draft version is published. Any comments
before we vote?

4. Other issues

The latest DataNucleus snapshot throws a different exception for
datastore timeouts than is in the specification. AI Michael discuss in
the context of the timeout JIRA.

AI: Craig check the spec for timeout rounding. The implementation
should be able to round the given timeout value up to the values
supported by the driver.

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Apr 16, 9 am PDT

Posted by Timo Westkämper <ti...@mysema.com>.
On 04/16/2010 07:46 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
> 2. Provision of a statically-typed refactor-friendly query capability
> for JDOQL https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652
>
> Sounds good. Volunteers to drive this forward?

Hi.

I propose to split the standardization of the statically typed query
capability into a general part and a JDOQL specific part. A fork of
certain Querydsl parts could provide a foundation for both.

The reason for the splitted approach is that a standardization of the
general model would benefit also other frameworks and could become a
foundation for LINQ in Java.

The general part could be formed of the contents of the following
Querydsl packages :

com.mysema.query
com.mysema.query.types
com.mysema.query.types.custom
com.mysema.query.types.expr
com.mysema.query.types.path
com.mysema.query.types.query

The JDO specific elements could consist of the following elements :

com.mysema.query.jdoql.JDOQLSubQuery -> javax.jdo.query.SubQuery ?!?
com.mysema.query.jdoql.JDOQLQuery -> javax.jdo.query.Query ?!?

of course with some modifications

and a standardization of the code generation (probably also via APT).

What do you think about this approach?

Best regards,
Timo Westkämper.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Apr 16, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@Oracle.COM>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557

Some progress but still doesn't work. JDOHelper cannot load the test
class from the context class loader.

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, April 16 at 9 am PDT to
discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
Domestic (toll-free):  866 230-6968
International (caller-paid):  +1 213 787-0528
Access code :  294-0479#

Agenda:

1. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557
2. Provision of a statically-typed refactor-friendly query capability
for JDOQL https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652
3. Spec updates
4. Other issues

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, April 8 at 9 am PDT to
discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
Domestic (toll-free):  866 230-6968
International (caller-paid):  +1 213 787-0528
Access code :  294-0479#

Agenda:

1. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557
2. Query.executeWithMap(...) should accept unused parameters
3. Query cancel and timeout support
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-623
4. Spec updates
5. Other issues

Action Items from weeks past:

Apr 2 2010: AI Craig check in the test.

-- Michelle

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Mar 26, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Query Cancel TCK tests

With the latest tests it seems that the big job in query is during
ResultSet.next() instead of Statement.execute(). Next try to write
lock some instances and see if that affects the behavior.

2. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557
  Making progress; a bit of reorganization and testing is still needed.

3. Metadata tests Andy says that the latest snapshots of DataNucleus
contain a fix for the getParent() returning nothing. AI Craig test
with the SNAPSHOT version.

4. Spec updates No changes since last week.

5. Other issues

NoSQL might be a good way to improve JDO's visibility. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-651

JDO was designed to support non-SQL datastores. In fact, the first RI
was a distinctly non-SQL implementation, essentially a key-value
store. What needs to be done for NoSQL in general is to go through the
specification in detail and highlight those parts that cannot now be
implemented reasonably by a key-value store, or a non-transactional
datastore. NoSQL is probably too big a description of the kinds of
datastores that makes sense for JDO to support. Part of the exercise
should be to categorize the NoSQL datastores to focus on those
categories that make sense for JDO.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Apr 2, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Query Cancel TCK tests. No joy. Looks like Derby doesn't actually
execute the query until ResultSet.next(). Try waiting only one
millisecond. Try write locking the instances. If nothing works, call
the assertion untestable.

2. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557
. No joy. Stuck trying to make a class loader that has both
jdoconfig.xml and the test classes. Try documenting where you're stuck
and ask for help on the dev list.

3.  Spec updates. No joy. AI Craig update the spec and send it to
Michelle for printing.

4. Other issues

Success running Metadata test case. AI Craig check in the test.

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Apr 2, 9 am PDT

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, April 2 at 9 am PDT to
discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
Domestic (toll-free):  866 230-6968
International (caller-paid):  +1 213 787-0528
Access code :  294-0479#

Agenda:

1. Query Cancel TCK tests
2. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557
3.  Spec updates
4. Other issues

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Query Cancel TCK tests

New tests were checked in. AI run the patched tests with the latest
DataNucleus code. Other comments?

2. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557

Progress...

3. Spec updates

Craig sent an updated spec to Michelle for printing. AI Craig check
the assertions for DatastoreTimeout and send mail with the assertion
numbers.

Query cancel assertion is 14.6.1-8: is this correct? AI Craig check
the number.

Changes for 2.3: AI Craig make sure that the changes are identified.

4. Other issues:

Metadata API still needs test case.

Craig L Russell
Assistant Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
Chair, OpenJPA PMC
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

NOTE TIME CHANGE: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Mar 12, 11 am PDT

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

Please note :
  - This week's meeting is temporarily at a different time AND
  - The U.S. has switched to Daylight Saving Time..

We will have our regular meeting Friday, March 12 at 11 am PDT to

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Mar 12, 9 am PST

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@SUN.com>.
Hi Michelle,

That's great.

Thanks,

Craig

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@SUN.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Special meeting time for next week only: 11:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time

Agenda:

1. Query Cancel TCK tests

Andy raised a question that the test case doesn't work for
implementations that support query cancel. The main thread doesn't
sleep before canceling the query thread, which probably hasn't started
executing. We should put a sleep into the main thread after starting
the thread and before canceling the query. Depending on how this works
out, we might also need to implement a barrier to make sure that both
threads are running before the cancel executes. AI Michael update the
test case.

A second issue is what the scope of the cancel. It might be that the
user has finished executing the query and has a result that is
iterating. In this case, the cancel might be useful to cancel the
execution of the result set iteration. But it's not clear whether the
underlying implementation can cancel a statement that has finished
executing. In this case, for both JDO and the underlying
implementation, the Query (or Statement) is no longer executing. So if
the Query has given back a result, it can no longer be canceled. The
user should use a datastore timeout to control iteration of the result.

The question is still whether the caller of cancel should be able to
know whether the cancel had any effect. It's not obvious that it's
possible to know with any certainty. The only indication from
Statement.cancel() is an exception if the Statement has been closed.
The behavior if the Statement has returned a result doesn't appear to
be documented. So probably the best we can do is to cancel any
Statement that we know is being executed, which satisfies the main
reason for this API.

AI Craig update the specification.

2. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557

The class that needs to be created for the test just needs to
implement the static method, and not necessarily the PMF interface,
but it can return a proxy for PMF.

3. Spec updates. Matthew Adams commented that the changed spec seems
to require a specific state of the instance even if there is an
existing instance in the cache. AI Craig clarify the spec in this case.

4. Other issues

Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Mar 12, 9 am PDT

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mi...@akquinet.de>.
Hi,

I'm not able to dial in, it says "my access code is not recogniszed". Is
there a new phone number and/or a new access code?

Regards Michael

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, March 12 at 9 am PDT to
discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
Domestic (toll-free):  866 230-6968
International (caller-paid):  +1 213 787-0528
Access code :  294-0479#

Agenda:

1. Query Cancel TCK tests
2. Tests in api2 for ... getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557
3. Spec updates
4. Other issues

Action Items from weeks past:

-- Michelle

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Mar 5, 9 am PDT

Posted by mc...@sonic.net.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, February 26 at 9 am PDT to

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Feb 26, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Create tests ... for JDO implementation's static method
getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557

No action on this one.

2. Query cancel and timeout support https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-623

"Final" changes were checked in.

3. Other issues

Metadata signatures are checked by the tck but no tests yet for
actually checking that the metadata is consistent with the .jdo files.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Feb 19, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@SUN.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Create tests ... for JDO implementation's static method
getPersistenceManagerFactory(Map,Map) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-557

Michelle will try to get a preliminary test case for next week.

2. Other issues

Specification change outline: AI review by everyone.

Q. How can you use JDO project in Netbeans? The maven 1 plugin doesn't
quite work.

A. You can't build/run from within Netbeans but you can at least
import the project. Tell Netbeans it's a project without a build
script and Netbeans will create one for you (which you can ignore).

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday,Feb 12, 9 am PDT

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will have our regular meeting Friday, February 12 at 9 am PDT to
discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

Dial-in numbers are:
Domestic (toll-free):  866 230-6968
International (caller-paid):  +1 213 787-0528
Access code :  294-0479#

Agenda:

1. Task for JDO 2.3 release

NO JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Jan 22, 9 am PDT

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

We will NOT meet on Friday, January 22. Next meeting will be on Friday,
January 29 at 9 am PDT to discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

-- Michelle

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Jan 15, 9 am PDT

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Support specification of exact class in SingleFieldIdentity https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-630
these review notes will go into the jira

test case review: comment PartTimeEmployee is wrong; should be
FullTimeEmployee
remove system.out.println; replace with log.debug
testConcreteSuperclassExact test case is wrong
should expect exactly Person.class not instanceof test; then should
fail when database access discovers wrong class
message is wrong; should say when accessing database you find out
wrong class
testWrongClass:
message needs improvement
2. Other issues

Metadata API needs a test case. Might be just the API needs to be
exercised but would also be good to try to duplicate the metadata for
the company model.