Posted to dev@santuario.apache.org by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org> on 2005/02/27 03:37:37 UTC

Base64 question + Preparing for a 1.2 C++ release

Peoples,

I've been doing some work to clean up for a 1.2 release.  In particular,
I have just :

1.  Started going through and cleaning up the various bugs that haven't
yet been fixed
2.  Stripped out all requirements for RTTI
3.  Stripped out requirement for MFC in debug build
4.  Now builds against OpenSSL 0.9.8 as well as 0.9.7 and 0.9.6, and
supports SHA 224/256/384/512 if they are supported by the version of
OpenSSL.

Before we do a 1.2 however, I'm wondering if we can do something about
the base64 and validation problems.

Scott - you are the person with the most experience in schema validation
and signatures.  Is it worthwhile adding some form of switch to tell the
library to output base64 data in normalised form?  (I.e. no line feeds
etc.)  That way normalisation won't touch the data and schema validation
should work a bit better?  Or am I missing something fundamental somewhere?

Open to thoughts on that one - it means using the internal base64 class
rather than that provided by OpenSSL.

Cheers,
	Berin

RE: Base64 question + Preparing for a 1.2 C++ release

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.
> Scott - you are the person with the most experience in schema validation
> and signatures.  Is it worthwhile adding some form of switch to tell the
> library to output base64 data in normalised form?  (I.e. no line feeds
> etc.)  That way normalisation won't touch the data and schema validation
> should work a bit better?  Or am I missing something
> fundamental somewhere?

We'd have to test it, but I think that would probably make things more
interoperable. There's also a fix in Xerces now, but it won't be available
until the next release.

> Open to thoughts on that one - it means using the internal base64 class
> rather than that provided by OpenSSL.

Or you can just strip the line breaks out after it generates the data, I
guess.

-- Scott