Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by JT DeLys <jt...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/20 23:34:08 UTC

Re: [Swig-user] tests of swig/perl bindings failing in svn build -- is the problem Swig, Perl or Subversion?

Hi John,

> These are subversion errors... the key error is
> dlopen(/usr/local/ports/subversion/subversion/bindings/swig/perl/native/blib/arch/auto/SVN/_Core/_Core.bundle,
> 2): Symbol not found: _svn_swig_pl_make_file
>
> which means you are not (or the subversion makefiles) are not linking the
> module correctly.  You might need to check out passing the RTLD_GLOBAL
> flag to a previous dlopen.
>
> See http://perldoc.perl.org/DynaLoader.html, dl_load_flags

reading about 'RTLD_GLOBAL' here, generally,

	http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/dlopen.html

& here, platform-specific (for osx),

	http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man3/dlopen.3.html

One of the following flags may be ORed into the mode argument:

     RTLD_GLOBAL   Symbols exported from this image (dynamic library
or bun-dle) bundle)
                   dle) will be available to any images build with
                   -flat_namespace option to ld(1) or to calls to dlsym() when
                   using a special handle.

since these tests 'involve' svn, perl & swig, i first undertook to

add to swig 1.3.31's build env var, $LDFLAGS,

	setenv LDFLAGS "... -flat_namespace ..."

then rebuild/reinstall it, and, then,

do the same for svn, adding,

	setenv LDFLAGS "... -flat_namespace ..."

and, again, then rebuilding/reinstalling svn & the perl bindings.

unfortunately,

	make check-swig-pl

still fails as above. :-/

is it a problem with the perl env itself?

on my sys, perl is built NOT with/for -flat_namespace, but rather, for
a 2level_namespace,

  perl -V | grep archname
    osname=darwin, osvers=8.8.0, archname=darwin-thread-multi-2level

Is there some other specific config/flag/switch/knob to try?

Thanks!

    JTDeLys

Re: [Swig-user] tests of swig/perl bindings failing in svn build -- is the problem Swig, Perl or Subversion?

Posted by JT DeLys <jt...@gmail.com>.
Hello John,

dropping back to the last release tarball of svn,

	svn --version | grep -i " version"
		svn, version 1.4.4 (r25188)

rather than the current/up-to-date svn co, seems to cure the problem:

  make check-swig-pl
    All tests successful, 7 subtests skipped.
    Files=10, Tests=173, 16 wallclock secs ( 4.97 cusr +  1.85 csys =  6.82 CPU)

Your suggestion(s) may well address the issue at hand, I simply don't know.

I've tried to communicate with developers on #irc about this ... but
no interest/response so far.  Perhaps one of them will take an
interest here.

In the meantime, Thanks! for your help!