Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Uma Maheswara Rao G <ma...@huawei.com> on 2011/11/26 04:32:21 UTC

[Update] RE: Blocks are getting corrupted under very high load

>_______________________________________

We could replicate the issue with some test code ( with out hadoop). Issue looks to be same as you pointed.

>Thanks Todd.

>Finally we also started suspecting in that angle. Planned to take the file details before reboot and after reboot.
>With the above analysis i can confirm, whether the same issue or not.

Logs before reboot can not get because that logs are loosing as well :) . this is also a proof.

>One more thing to notice is that the difference between reboot time and last replica finalization is ~1hr in some >cases.
>Since the machine is rebooted due to kernal.hung_task_timeout_secs , in OS also that particular thread might not >got the chance to sync the data.

same cause.

>great one, HDFS-1539, I have merged all the bugs. Since this is an improvement, issue might not come to my list >:( .

>Also found some OS level configs to do the filesystem operations synchronously
>dirsync
 >   All directory updates within the filesystem should be done synchronously. This affects the following system >calls: creat, link, unlink, symlink, mkdir, rmdir, mknod and rename.
>We suspected mainly the rename operation lost after reboot. Since metafile , blockfile rename should happen >when finalizing the block from BlocksBeingWritten to current. ( at least not considered blocksize).

After the test, we found major performance hit.

>Anyway, thanks a lot for your great & valuable  time  with us here. After checking the above OS logs, i will have a >run with HDFS-1539.

Also performance hit. Presently we are planning to tune the client app for the less threads to reduce the load on OS and also data xceiver count at DN ( currently count is 4096 as Hbase team suggests). Obviously the problem should be rectified.