Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by "c.Kleinhuis" <ck...@digitalgott.de> on 2010/05/13 21:44:20 UTC

arguments for couchdb ?!

hi there,

is there a comparison between hibernate/spring and couchdb ?

to convience my project manager

-in my eyes the main benefit of couchdb is that it removes a complete
application tier,
the java/server side, which maps objects to tables. the relaxing effect :D

- here is a performance comparison:

http://metalelf0dev.blogspot.com/2008/09/mysql-couchdb-performance-comparison.html
it is rather old (2008), and just displays that indexing is a bit slower, which shouldnt
be a problem

if there are any more arguments, please let me know, also i would like
to have some examples of HUGE Sites using couchdb,

thx
ck

Re: arguments for couchdb ?!

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 14 May 2010 08:37, Alexander Uvarov <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14.05.2010, at 2:16, c.Kleinhuis wrote:
>

>> what about server configuration ? compared to mysql/hibernate/spring/java ?
>> as far as i can tell for windows, it worked nicely with the installer, any known problems
>> when setting up a server farm, or a single system ? ! i mean, how hard would it be for
>> an advanced admin to set up a system with couchdb ?
>>

> It depends. But this kind of question should answer more experienced member. First of all, I don't see any reasons to run couchdb on windows in production. It's pretty simple If you are going to set up N nodes replicating to each other and run nginx on top of them. Packages are available for Linux (both couch and erlang), also it's dead simple to build couchdb from scratch.

IIRC the main issue with windows is no support for online compaction
at the moment due to some different file APIs between windows & linux.
Is there anybody running large farms of couch on windows?

dch

Re: arguments for couchdb - binary data output ?

Posted by Sebastian Cohnen <se...@googlemail.com>.
please start new threads when posting to the ML

but back to topic: I'm not sure what you want to know/hear. In terms of efficiency, sure, binary is much more "transport"-efficient then json/text. But json on the other hand is a perfect fit for web-centric application (json is a subset of javascript e.g.)...

Re: arguments for couchdb ?!

Posted by Alexander Uvarov <al...@gmail.com>.
On 14.05.2010, at 2:16, c.Kleinhuis wrote:

> Alexander Uvarov schrieb:
>>
>> Good:
>>
>> 1. Schema-less is awesome for a lot of applications
>> 2. RESTful JSON store
>> 3. Document attachments
>> 4. Views are fast
>> 5. Full text search "out of the box" with couchdb-lucene
>>
>> Bad:
>>
>> 1. Does not support transactions and AFAIK there are no plans to directly support transactional bulk document API
>>
> this is handled via eventual consistency as far as i know, and will never be adressed ;)
> with the benefit of fast responses

Too brave. Things are not as simple as they seem.

Re: arguments for couchdb ?!

Posted by "c.Kleinhuis" <ck...@digitalgott.de>.

Re: arguments for couchdb ?!

Posted by Alexander Uvarov <al...@gmail.com>.