Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kinnari Vrajlal Bhanderi <Ki...@infosys.com> on 2005/07/07 11:18:57 UTC

problem running svn command

Hi

I have installed subversion1.2.0. From command prompt I try to run 'svn'
(from the directory where I have installed subversion), it doesn't
recognize 'svn' command. Is it necessary to set some path?

Regards,

Kinnari Bhanderi
SETLabs,
Infosys Technologies Limited,
Plot No. 44, Electronics City, Hosur Road
Bangalore - 560100
 (Extn 58819)

Re: problem running svn command

Posted by Robin Becker <ro...@reportlab.com>.
Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

 > On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 03:50:50AM -0400,
 >  Dale Strickler <Da...@DirecWay.com> wrote  a message of 28 lines
which said:

 > Not tested but:
 >
 > for file in start-directory/*; do
 >   svn rename $file other-directory/$file
 > done
 > svn commit -m '25 files renamed in one commit'

..... this seems to assume that you have a common ancestor in the working
repository. Quite often I want to perform this move

\branch1\f --> \branch2\f

and since they have no common ancestor this seems to fail when you try the
commit on both \branch1 & \branch2 (at least on windows).
--
Robin Becker

Re: problem running svn command

Posted by Stephane Bortzmeyer <bo...@nic.fr>.
On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 04:48:57PM +0530,
 Kinnari Vrajlal Bhanderi <Ki...@infosys.com> wrote
 a message of 294 lines which said:

> I have installed subversion1.2.0. From command prompt I try to run
> 'svn' (from the directory where I have installed subversion), it
> doesn't recognize 'svn' command. Is it necessary to set some path?

Well, you could provide more technical details (such as the actual
error message and not a summary like "it doesn't recognize 'svn'
command") and less useless legal disclaimer.

On Unix, the current directory is not included in the default path
(for very good security reasons). So, even if you are in the directory
where the "svn" command is, it won't work. But Subversion's "make"
should install everything in a sensible place.

What is your operating system? Most common operating systems have a
binary package, you typically do not need to compile
anything. Everything is already compiled and installed at a place
where you shell will find it.

Re: problem running svn command

Posted by Romain Prévost <pr...@gmail.com>.
Are you running Windows or Unix ?