Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Andres Almiray <aa...@yahoo.com> on 2005/02/02 01:53:45 UTC

Struts - Licensing and Derivative Work

Hi,
I have a doubt regarding the licensing of Struts and
Derivative Works made by third parties, I hope you can
help me figure it out.

I'm brainstorming a framework very similar to Struts
in its behavior but it is intended not to run in a web
environment, nor follow de servlet expecification.
I want to replicate some of the behavior of Struts,
like the Validator package, but I can use the package
as it is because it is tied to the servlet API.

My assuption is that IF I could copy the validator
package, change some parts as to not use the servlet
API, retaining the copyright from the ASF, adding
proper credits to the Struts team in the
documentation, adding the proper NOTICE changes and
applying the ASF to the framework, thus creating a new
package for this new framework, is it within the legal
bounds of the License?  am I allowed to do that?

Or do I have to find another way to replicate the
desired behavior?

Thank you for your time,

=====
Ing. Andres Almiray Jaramillo

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Re: Struts - Licensing and Derivative Work

Posted by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com>.
I use commons-validator in Swing WebStart applications. Works fine
without servlet API.
.V

Forums, Boards, Blogs and News in RiA <http://www.boardVU.com>

Re: Struts - Licensing and Derivative Work

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <st...@anotheria.net>.
> My assuption is that IF I could copy the validator package,
> change some parts as to not use the servlet API, retaining
> the copyright from the ASF, adding proper credits to the
> Struts team in the documentation, adding the proper NOTICE
> changes and applying the ASF to the framework, thus creating
> a new package for this new framework, is it within the legal
> bounds of the License?  am I allowed to do that?

You are allowed to do this, but in the time you need to do it, you could
easily rewrite struts validation framework twice.

Regards
leon

Re: Struts - Licensing and Derivative Work

Posted by Andres Almiray <aa...@yahoo.com>.
Ted,
Thank you for clarifying my doubt, now I can begin
with the right foot.

=====

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.