Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Ting Peng <t....@gmail.com> on 2007/08/24 12:30:01 UTC

Blue Sky Distance Collaboration System_Proposal Draft

Hello, everyone!

Now, we are going to move our project "Blue Sky Distance Collaboration
System" to Apache Incubator for future development. Its aim is to make
people under the sky to communicate and share resources with each other
more easily. When, the system is employed, users can communicated via
audio/video(computer screen also included) and text at the same time.
In other words, Multi-Object Mutlimedia capable makes the system more
vivid and glamorous. Cosmic Resource Share & Management System is also
included. It provides unique portal for users to share resources(such as
multi-object multimedia courseware).  It's proposal is at
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BSDCSProposal

The system has been developed for years, more than 20 persons are
involved. It is used in distance learning in primary and middle schools
in China.  More than 40,000 students benefit from it. It's portal is
www.p12.edu.cn, but it is only accessible in mainland of China currently
and only Chinese pages provided.  We are making our web site available
globally and English pages will be provided in near future.

Currently, all developers of "Blue Sky Distance Collaboration System"
are not native speaker of  English.  But  we don't have  obstacles to
communicate in English on technical topics. We want to share our work
with people who is interested in it around the world. We want new
volunteers to make our team more diverse and more active.

Project Overview and Features is at
here<http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dcj48f88_09k567f>
.

For this is our first candidate project to Apache Foundation. We are
grateful for your ideas!

We are looking forward to your advice!

--

        Best regards!

Ting Peng (t.peng.dev@gmail.com)
XJTU-IBM Open Tech. R&D Center

Re: Blue Sky Distance Collaboration System_Proposal Draft

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 08 September 2007 10:20, t.peng.dev wrote:
> According to official web site of ffmpeg,
> http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/faq.html#TOC9
> only when |/liba52/ component is compiled in ffmpeg, it is licensed
> under GPL, otherwise
> its license is LGPL.
>
> In BSDCS, /liba52 /is not used. So, BSDCS has hard dependencies on LGPL
> version of ffmpeg.
> And we can give document on how to compile LGPL version of ffmpeg.

> If these things are done, does BSDCS fit ASF requirements?

IANAL, but *I* think it does. We are often talking about "System Requirements"
that can be listed as "must be present for program to work", and I don't see
much difference here.

WDYT, Bill?

Cheers
Niclas

Re: Blue Sky Distance Collaboration System_Proposal Draft

Posted by "t.peng.dev" <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
t.peng.dev wrote:
> Ok, according to prior meeting of our team, we prefer Apache license.

In that case...

Posted by "t.peng.dev" <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by "t.peng.dev" <t....@gmail.com>.
    * /Multi-Object Multimedia Application/(MMA) is term I found in this
      article: /Haining Liu and M. El Zarki. Towards the delay and
      synchronization control for networked real-time multi-object
      multimedia applications. In Object-Oriented Real-Time Dependable
      Systems, 2003. WORDS 2003 Fall. The Ninth IEEE International
      Workshop on, pages 79--86, 2003 /Sometimes it is also called
      multi-source multimedia. But it is not popular to use multiple
      media object in an application. So this term is easy to see.

    * Source Code of BSDCS is currently only available inside our team.
      For our machines are all limited to access from mainland of China.
      But now, we are going to get a host available globally, it is
      coming soon.

    * We've decided to use open source license to release our source,
      GPL and from apache license are both good. We are going to choose
      one. We appreciate your advice :-) . BSDCS depends on API provided
      by FFMpeg, it use GPL.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by "t.peng.dev" <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Hi there,

Posted by 董巍 <go...@gmail.com>.
    It is a very good item. And I think this system is full of sence for it
really can help people and can be used in a lot of parts.I hope "Blue Sky
Distance Collaboration System" can be accepted by Apache.