Posted to dev@apisix.apache.org by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org> on 2019/10/25 14:45:51 UTC

[DISCUSS] container first

hello folks,

There are three ways to install Apache APISIX now: RPM, luarocks, and
docker[1].

Developers need to use luarocks to compile source code locally to deploy
the environment, which is not friendly.

I think we should assume APISIX is running on the container,  rather than
different Linux distributions,
so it's a good idea to recommend use container to install and deploy, or
even the development environment.
Go a step further, we can support Helm Charts, and run in k8s environment.

And of course, we still support other installation methods.

What do you think?

[1] https://github.com/iresty/docker-apisix

Thanks,
Ming Wen, Apache APISIX
Twitter: _WenMing

Re: [DISCUSS] container first

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.
Apache APISIX received a new PR[1] about how to deploy Apache APISIX
 with AWS CDK[2]  on AWS Fargate[3].
Weclome discuss in mailing list or under this PR.

[1] https://github.com/iresty/apisix/pull/740/files
[2] https://aws.amazon.com/cdk/
[3] https://aws.amazon.com/tw/fargate

Thanks,
Ming Wen, Apache APISIX
Twitter: _WenMing

Ming Wen <we...@apache.org> 于2019年10月26日周六 上午10:11写道:

Re: [DISCUSS] container first

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] container first

Posted by "vkill.net" <vk...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] container first

Posted by YuanSheng Wang <me...@apache.org>.
I love the new way, running it on the container. This feature will make
apisix easy to learn and use.

BTW, I think APISIX should support some old OS, eg CentOS 6.  We still need
to support installation via luarocks.

Re: [DISCUSS] container first

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

We’re still waiting on “official” guidelines on how to use docker at the ASF, but many project so use it and comply with ASF release and distribution policies.

The incubator has these draft guidelines that might help [1], but if you want to do it differently to that just discussion it on list and we’ll see what we can work out.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/DistributionGuidelines

Re: [DISCUSS] container first

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Very clear explain, Justin, thanks.

If you wonder why this is this way it is so that:
1) The ASF legal shield covers the people involved in making a releases.
2) Users who use an ASF product have confidence that they can use it and not run into any legal issues.

See [1] for more explanation

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#why

Re: [DISCUSS] container first

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2019年10月26日周六 下午2:53写道:

Re: [DISCUSS] container first

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: [DISCUSS] container first

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.
Hi, Justin, all reops with "apisix" in their name will be transferred to
ASF, I think that will slove the branding issue, right?
Yes, release is a really big thing, I will follow the guidelines to vote.

I have two questions:
 - Do I need to delete the releases before joining the Apache Incubator? Or
can still keep them?
 - Can Apache APISIX provides a container with the master branch? The code

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2019年10月26日周六 上午1:54写道:

Re: [DISCUSS] container first

Re: [DISCUSS] container first

Posted by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org>.
I'd recommend using Docker image to deploy for users, it will flatten the
differences for different operating systems.

Ming Wen <we...@apache.org> 于 2019年10月25日周五 22:46写道: