Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Srinath Perera <he...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/28 15:03:09 UTC

[Axis2]Proposal for Axis2 0.9 and Axis2 1.0

Hi All;

As by the chat last Wednesday I like to make a proposal Axis2 0.9 and
Axis2 1.0 releases.
bottom line being releasing Axis2 0.9 ASAP and releasing Axis2 1.0 in
the August.

Following is purposed feature list .. lets try to decide on the
features and then discuss the specifics. thoughts?

Thanks
Srianth

Axis2 0.9 feature  list
==================
SOAP 1.1/SOAP 1.2 support
WSDL 1.1
WSA Submission and Final
Module Architecture
Context Hierarchy
Transports SMTP
Transport HTTP
Transport TCP
Raw XML Providers
Support for MTOM/MIME/SwA
Deployment
Client API modules
WSDL2Java
Java2WSDL
REST support
XML Beans based data binding implementation

Axis2 1.0 feature  list
==================
SOAP 1.1/SOAP 1.2 support
WSDL 1.1
WSA Submission and Final
Module Architecture
Context Hierarchy
Transports SMTP
Transport HTTP
Transport TCP
Raw XML Providers
Support for MTOM/MIME/SwA
Deployment
Client API modules
WSDL2Java
Java2WSDL
REST support
Pluggable data binding XMLBeans/JAXB/Axis2 own data binding
RPC Encoded support
Mgmt Capability

Nice to have
==========
RM Module
Security Module
E4X Provider
Binary Serialization
WS - Policy Framework
RSS feeds for Axis2 deployed services

Re: [Axis2]Proposal for Axis2 0.9 and Axis2 1.0

Posted by Srinath Perera <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric;
Thanks very much for the comments, regarding the comments you
basically address the OM Performance and documentations. There were
some performance comparisons on OM but I will leave it for a OMer to
answer.

regarding the documentations let us start the discussion on
documentation/samples. From your  comments I extracted
* Missing documentation on how to migrate from Axis 1.X
* No demonstration of Axis 1.X interoperability

Shall we start with documentations what we have, there can be found at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis/trunk/java/xdocs/.

If you like to contribute good way will be to have a look at the
documents we have and let us know where they miss information or can
be improved (send a mail to dev list  and add Jira issues). Can you
add JIRA(http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10611)
issues for two
* Missing documentation on how to migrate from Axis 1.X
* No demonstration of Axis 1.X interoperability
I can add them, but better to have you as the reporter of the issue.
put "samples, build,site & docs" as the component.
Thanks
Srinath

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 13:48 -0700, Eric Johnson wrote:
> I'm following the Apache Axis 2.0 project with some interest.  At this
> time, though, I find I cannot recommend it for use at my company for at
> least the following reasons:
>
>     * Need better documentation on how to use - something like the
>       Apache Axis 1.X tutorials would help.  The current docs seem to
>       trail off at some critical points, and are very developer, rather
>       than user focused. (I note that Glen Daniel's recent presentation
>       had some useful content.)

Interesting ... I've heard the opposite from someone else :-) (not about
Glen's prez but about the docs!).

>     * Missing documentation on how to migrate from Axis 1.X
>     * No demostration of Axis 1.X interoperability

+1 to putting these.

>     * AXIOM seems unproven.  Showing how you can use AXIOM separate from
>       its use in Axis would help prove its value.

Why? AXIOM has significant value inside Axis2 .. just think of
implementing a pass-thru scenario. Maybe we need to illustrate its value
to Axis2 itself more so that people don't ask "Why YAXOM?".

>   Also, it strikes me
>       that some genuine benchmarks comparing the raw performance of
>       Xerces DOM with AXIOM might be revealing.

This has been done; pls check the list archives.

> I'm not meaning to cause argument.  Rather, I'm looking to trigger a
> discussion of what sorts of documentation, if any, should be included as
> part of the "features" list, 'cause I know that more documentation will
> help some people out.
>
> I'll even contribute if I can, although I don't know how likely that is.

I think if you could write a table of contents for what docs you think
you'd find useful and what you'd like to see in them that would be a
good start. (Please go down to at least 3 levels in the TOC.) Then you
can even start writing some of the stuff ;-).

In any case, +1 for getting the docs lined up right before we go to 1.0.

Sanjiva.

Re: [Axis2]Proposal for Axis2 0.9 and Axis2 1.0

Posted by Eric Johnson <er...@tibco.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 to both.