Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Michael Ralston <mi...@ralston.id.au> on 2005/10/20 08:06:16 UTC

Q for Michael Wechner (& other lenya devs) Why XML files and not Database?

I've always wondered with lenya, why did you choose to implement all backend
storage as xml files? I've been doing some work on making database backends
for users, groups etc. Before I went any further I wanted to find out
straight from the horses mouth what you believe the advantages are of the
current xml file based system.

Where is lenya 1.4 going with this? Will any of it's data storage be moved
from File IO to something else?

Michael Ralston

Re: Q for Michael Wechner (& other lenya devs) Why XML files and not Database?

Posted by Josias Thoeny <jo...@wyona.com>.
On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 16:06 +1000, Michael Ralston wrote:
> I've always wondered with lenya, why did you choose to implement all backend
> storage as xml files? I've been doing some work on making database backends
> for users, groups etc. Before I went any further I wanted to find out
> straight from the horses mouth what you believe the advantages are of the
> current xml file based system.

The structure of websites is usually hierarchical, which can be modelled
more naturally with a hierarchical data storage such as the filesystem,
opposed to databases which are normally flat.
That may have been one reason to choose the filesystem.
Another thing is that databases involve some overhead, whereas the usage
of the fs is very straightforward. And for most original requirements of
Lenya, the fs is actually sufficient.

> Where is lenya 1.4 going with this? Will any of it's data storage be moved
> from File IO to something else?

The Lenya community is currently working on the integration of Lenya 1.4
and JSR-170, the Java Content Repository (see e.g. [1] or [2]).
The goal of this integration is to have the advantages of a database,
coupled with a hierarchical storage facility.

- Josias

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/jackrabbit/
[2] http://www.day.com/site/en/index/Technology/jsr170.html

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Michael Ralston wrote:

>I've always wondered with lenya, why did you choose to implement all backend
>storage as xml files?

for simplicity ;-)

well, at the time I have started originally (no-one but myself having to
rely on it ;-) I didn't have any need for queries. Today it's a bit
different, but more about that further down ...

> I've been doing some work on making database backends
>for users, groups etc.

that would be one nice usecase for queries

> Before I went any further I wanted to find out
>straight from the horses mouth what you believe the advantages are of the
>current xml file based system.

I still like the FS approach very much, but yes it's not sufficient
for many usecases and hence I think we need to change ...

>Where is lenya 1.4 going with this? Will any of it's data storage be moved
>from File IO to something else?

by introducing JCR and using a FS persistence manager one can
still have a certain transperancy and simplicity, whereas I think
it would be nice if one could save "documents" with a human readable
path instead of UUIDs (as for instance with Jackrabbit), but I also
see the need for UUIDs re persistent linking, etc.

HTH

Michi

>Michael Ralston

Michael Wechner