Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Igor Vlasov <vi...@mail.ru> on 2008/07/18 13:54:16 UTC

Why we need struts.action.extension property

Hello. I wrote a simple s2 application.

I described a filter in web.xml

  <filter>
    <filter-name>struts2</filter-name>

<filter-class>org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.FilterDispatcher</filter-class>
  </filter>

  <filter-mapping>
    <filter-name>struts2</filter-name>
    <url-pattern>*.jspa</url-pattern>
    <dispatcher>FORWARD</dispatcher>
    <dispatcher>REQUEST</dispatcher>
  </filter-mapping>

but i forgot a struts.properties file and "struts.action.extension=jspa"

AND my project does not WORK

My question: why we need to write "struts.action.extension=jspa" when we
already have  filter-mapping binding struts2->*.jspa

Re: Why we need struts.action.extension property

Posted by Gabriel Belingueres <be...@gmail.com>.
AFAIK, the Servlet API doesn't expose any standard way to know the
mapping associated to a filter. Maybe that's way.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- On Fri, 7/18/08, Igor Vlasov <vi...@mail.ru> wrote:
> but i forgot a struts.properties file and
> "struts.action.extension=jspa"
>
> AND my project does not WORK
>

> My question: why we need to write
> "struts.action.extension=jspa" when we
> already have  filter-mapping binding struts2->*.jspa

So Struts 2 itself knows what extension is being used for actions.

Note that mapping the S2 filter to something other than "/*" will break a few things unless we work around it. I added a note to the web.xml documenation [1], but basically unless we do something to get the static content served (extracting the files, etc.) things will break.

Dave

[1] web.xml coniguration documentation (new note won't show up right away)
http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/webxml.html